Twitter: McCarthy to Sean Lee “If you’re dumb enough to get into coaching, we should definitely talk.”

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Yeah I’ve seen video of him in the film room, he’s good
We have seen video of him during a game educating a coach on which assignment a player has because the coach apparently thought the player was supposed to be in 2 places at once.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Certain members enjoy showing others who they really are on this board..

Yep, this thread has spoken volumes about non-football related issues. I am surprised it is still open because everyone can read through the veiled attempts to skirt the issue.

Brax

Reaction score
Certain members enjoy showing others who they really are on this board.

Anyone who's followed the Cowboys knows that Sean Lee would most likely
become a coach one day in the NFL. Nobody ever claimed he would jump
to the title of HC, or even DC, right away, or ever.

The best comparison would be another former NFL LB, Jack Del Rio,
who retired in 96 and began as a strength coach in 97.
In 98, he was a LB coach. He helped the Ravens win the SB and constantly
gets rave reviews by none other than Ray Lewis for his knowledge.

In 2003, he became a HC in Jacksonville (2003-2011),
and later with the Raiders (2015-2017). Currently he's the DC for the WFT.

By the way, Leon Lett was given an assistant coaching job in Dallas.
Nobody seemed to mind. In Pittsburgh, Joey Porter was added to
the coaching staff after his retirement. Thing is, this happens regularly
with teams and players that want to hang around for love of the game.

It's as simple as that.
Good post, talent and potential open doors.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Well he’s known more than the coaches that make the schemes

tunahelper

Reaction score
Interesting how when Witten allegedly wanted to be a coach and McCarthy was like, yeah, whatever, maybe starting at the bottom, but he's willing to have a serious discourse with Lee.

It would be interesting to see where Lee starts his coaching career out. I like MM approach that anyone entering coaching starts at the bottom because that is how you have to learn the business. Lee should start as quality control.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Why is it things said in jest turns into a big deal by some around here?. It was a joke nothing more, there is no hidden message.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Loyalty and privilege working already. Ladies and gentlemen.....your new DC.

I don't think anyone suggest Lee as a DC. I do think he will get into coaching. I guess it was loyalty and privilege when Landry hired Dan Reeves and Mike Ditka as assistant coaches after they finished their careers with the Cowboys. Hell in Reeves case he was a player coach. Fact is they were hired because of their attention to detail and vast understanding of the position they coaches. But of courses fans who have never done crap in their life know more? What a joke

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Mike Vrabel: After retiring as a player following the 2010 season, he was the linebackers and defensive line coach at Ohio State for three seasons. His NFL coaching career began in 2014 with the Houston Texans as linebackers coach and then defensive coordinator, before being hired in 2018 as head coach of the Titans.

I imagine if Sean Lee wants to coach, he will find an opportunity somewhere, if not here. He could do just like Vrabel and go back to his alma mater for a couple years as a LB coach. He would be really good at recruiting which is 90% of 'coaching' in college. What recruit in the northeast would not answer Lee's call? If I had my choice, I think I would prefer college over the NFL for coaching. For the top schools, the money is about the same. College players are easier to coach than NFL players.

Yes, adding 'Cowboy' or 'ex-Cowboy' to one's pedigree gives one special advantages. FAs are aided by it, coaches are aided by it. Heck, I imagine it works like a charm with the ladies too. Comes from exposure and being 'America's Team.'

Whether you like Lee as a player or not, he can become a coach or even an announcer somewhere. I also think he would be a successful coach. I prefer him here helping the Cowboys win. I also think Witten will be a successful coach somewhere. I thought Michael Irvin would have been an awesome head coach. Irvin knew he did not have the patience or personality to work with today's players.

Lee gave it his all as a Cowboy and I am happy for that. Yes, he was hurt often. When he was on the field, he was very good. Off the field, he got into no trouble. Lee has enough money where he can retire and do nothing if he likes. Lee has the talent to be a coach somewhere. Or an announcer. I would take Lee over Aikman as an announcer.

Even though Garrett has 10 plus years of experience as a coach, I would take Lee over Garrett as head coach right now. What would I have to lose? I actually wouldn't even mind if Jerry replaced McCarthy with Lee (or Irvin) right now. I think it would be fun and interesting and a breath of fresh air.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't understand this animosity towards Lee becoming a "coach" when he's done playing football. I think he would be excellent!! He's very intelligent and has a great understanding of the game. I remember watching the "All or Nothing" series, and after the season was over and all the players were gone, Lee was in the film room!! You can't tell me he's not dedicated to his craft.

Cmac

Reaction score
I don't think anyone suggest Lee as a DC. I do think he will get into coaching. I guess it was loyalty and privilege when Landry hired Dan Reeves and Mike Ditka as assistant coaches after they finished their careers with the Cowboys. Hell in Reeves case he was a player coach. Fact is they were hired because of their attention to detail and vast understanding of the position they coaches. But of courses fans who have never done crap in their life know more? What a joke
Doomsday....what do you know and done.....since you put that out there. Just my take....you don't have to like it, nor do I care....All good. And thats' the joke.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Yes, lads, get the good ol' boy system going for this terrible athlete who feels entitled.
:rolleyes:
Ignore 1,000 other coaches WITH EXPERIENCE!
:facepalm:
Sean Lee coach in the NFL now?
:lmao2:
Jack Del Rio started out coaching with no experience, so yeah that never works out.

Elway a GM, that would be stupid he has no experience.

Tom Landry a coach, that's stupid he's just a dumb DB for the Giants.

John Madden a coach, make me laugh ole boy, no less seeing if he could be an announcer.

You're better off doing comedy, but no one laughs at your stupid bloke gig because you have no comedy experience. :)

Have a nice day!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Jack Del Rio started out coaching with no experience, so yeah that never works out.

Elway a GM, that would be stupid he has no experience.

Tom Landry a coach, that's stupid he's just a dumb DB for the Giants.

John Madden a coach, make me laugh ole boy, no less seeing if he could be an announcer.

You're better off doing comedy, but no one laughs at your stupid bloke gig because you have no comedy experience. :)

Have a nice day!

You've put fragile
Sean Leech on a pedestal with near immortals.
:muttley:

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Mike Vrabel: After retiring as a player following the 2010 season, he was the linebackers and defensive line coach at Ohio State for three seasons. His NFL coaching career began in 2014 with the Houston Texans as linebackers coach and then defensive coordinator, before being hired in 2018 as head coach of the Titans.

I imagine if Sean Lee wants to coach, he will find an opportunity somewhere, if not here. He could do just like Vrabel and go back to his alma mater for a couple years as a LB coach. He would be really good at recruiting which is 90% of 'coaching' in college. What recruit in the northeast would not answer Lee's call? If I had my choice, I think I would prefer college over the NFL for coaching. For the top schools, the money is about the same. College players are easier to coach than NFL players.

Yes, adding 'Cowboy' or 'ex-Cowboy' to one's pedigree gives one special advantages. FAs are aided by it, coaches are aided by it. Heck, I imagine it works like a charm with the ladies too. Comes from exposure and being 'America's Team.'

Whether you like Lee as a player or not, he can become a coach or even an announcer somewhere. I also think he would be a successful coach. I prefer him here helping the Cowboys win. I also think Witten will be a successful coach somewhere. I thought Michael Irvin would have been an awesome head coach. Irvin knew he did not have the patience or personality to work with today's players.

Lee gave it his all as a Cowboy and I am happy for that. Yes, he was hurt often. When he was on the field, he was very good. Off the field, he got into no trouble. Lee has enough money where he can retire and do nothing if he likes. Lee has the talent to be a coach somewhere. Or an announcer. I would take Lee over Aikman as an announcer.

Even though Garrett has 10 plus years of experience as a coach, I would take Lee over Garrett as head coach right now. What would I have to lose? I actually wouldn't even mind if Jerry replaced McCarthy with Lee (or Irvin) right now. I think it would be fun and interesting and a breath of fresh air.

Now Sean can be an announcer.
Look out, Tony!!!