McCarthy was supposed to give Dallas an edge

Cebrin

Reaction score
How quickly we forget between off-season, and now we are literally running 3rd string to start in the back field. Not to mention losing both Vander, and Lee in the middle. Hallelujah for Joe Thomas. He's been an upside in the mess. Everyone praises Diggs, but he looks like a rookie (promising or not). We're banged up, and it shows against good football teams. However, the turnovers are concerning. No cap.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I love how the Garrett nut huggers are declaring Big Mike a failure after 3 games yet their boy, who was here a dam decade, never won jack chit.

there were red flags when Big Mike started hiring all of his old buddies to be coaches.

Especially Nolan and Philbin.

one is washed up and the other can’t coach an OL.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Our assistant HC isn’t even a coach.

Harris is one of our two dB coaches (. 2 coaches to replace KRichard?)

ScottM is the LB coach, who was an assistant at GB.

nolan is washed.

no wonder our defense is jacked.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
It was an uninspiring hire in the first place. Not saying it's not an improvement over the clown staff we had the previous 10 years - another season or 2 required to confirm that - but it always felt like the safe pick. Jerry went for the fairway, played for par rather than attack the green for eagle.

My suspicion is that we're finding out who was responsible for the success in Green Bay, and he is still there.

basel90

Reaction score
There are some worrying signs with MM.

1) he agreed to hand over the play calling to kellen Moore . Was that his decision?
2) penalties : the best way to gauge a good coach . Cowboys had many alarming penalties .
3) mental mistakes ; special teams mistakes , blunders .
4) slow starts : the first 2 games the team has stated slow and full of mistakes .
5) demeanor during games ; seems MM is pretty lethargy during games . Does not seem to be commanding the team . It could be the mask , but he is too quite .

hope he pans out . Not sure how this will end up . Green Bay looked better when he left , his whole career success could be explained by having an elite QB in Rogers .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Where were you all these years when Garrett was doing the same thing?
Just attempting to redirect the message. You’re welcome to start your own thread in those comparisons .

In the meantime I’m assuming you don’t think McCarthy has provided an advantage thus far ?

Swagger

Reaction score
I don't really see why people thought McCarthy would be some sort of guru.

The Packers are 16-3 in the regular season under LaFleur.

McCarthy is a second hand car salesman and a dinosaur - Rodgers carried him.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
The offense used to collapse with just Tyron out.

Collins out. Tyron out. Erving, our lameo "veteran T backup" out. Our lameo UDFA T who we start needed fluids and was booted out. 4 Ts out.

Looney physically carted to the locker room, taped up, and sent back to the field. Note: after having Frederick retire.

Imagine the complete debacle you'd normally expect from this.

Instead, we end up playing Martin at T for the first time ever, still gain a bazillion yards, and are throwing a 20 yard pass at the end of the game for the win against the class of the NFC in their house.

And that's just the injuries to the offensive line.

It is a valid point for sure. I hope they can gel and work through the growing pains together. The division is obviously there for the taking— and as long as we are all floundering— there is time to right the ship.

I have always adopted Parcell’s perspective on waiting until Thanksgiving to know “what you are.” We are off to a rough start for a variety of reasons— but I will give the staff some grace to find their way through this crap-show. They are dealing with a lot of stuff at the moment

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are some worrying signs with MM.

1) he agreed to hand over the play calling to kellen Moore . Was that his decision?
2) penalties : the best way to gauge a good coach . Cowboys had many alarming penalties .
3) mental mistakes ; special teams mistakes , blunders .
4) slow starts : the first 2 games the team has stated slow and full of mistakes .
5) demeanor during games ; seems MM is pretty lethargy during games . Does not seem to be commanding the team . It could be the mask , but he is too quite .

hope he pans out . Not sure how this will end up . Green Bay looked better when he left , his whole career success could be explained by having an elite QB in Rogers .

He won't just another Jerry "Yes" man and on to Kellen thereafter!

basel90

Reaction score
He won't just another Jerry "Yes" man and on to Kellen thereafter!
That is very worrisome . We needed a strong coach after the garret debacle . I wish Sean Payton was hired 4 years ago when his contract was up at N.O .Or Andy Reed before that .
The Garrett tenure was disastrous and his tree of assistsnt coaches is abysmal .

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is very worrisome . We needed a strong coach after the garret debacle . I wish Sean Payton was hired 4 years ago when his contract was up at N.O .Or Andy Reed before that .
The Garrett tenure was disastrous and his tree of assistsnt coaches is abysmal .
Unfortunately since 1995 only yes men need to apply.......Parcells, he put up with till he got the financing for ATT....

Loso86

Reaction score
“a while...”
We’re in week 4 buddy. It’s getting ridiculous at this point. He shouldn’t have applied for the job if he wasn’t gonna be able to handle it. This team is pure slop. He’s coached for how long? And he needs time? No. Excuses excuses. We the fans are so used to mediocrity that we don’t even notice it when we type or talk about how “1-2 is fine” or “we just need time”. You think the Chiefs, Ravens, Packers, Seahawks, Rams, Bills, etc think like this?

what a shame. We’ve been conditioned
Dude with everything going on plus injuries and no real offseason to implement everything WHATEVER. And no inthink those teams have there staff and everything solidified they've who they are, hell half of our team is on IR. I also know 1 less mistake and were sitting at 3-0 then what would be your complaint

Loso86

Reaction score
I certainly hope it changes .

Has he made the impact in first 3 games he was supposed to?
If Garrett was still here these games would have ended up like that Atl game a while back when Fak got lit up by the pass rush. We have a makeshift Oline nd secondary yet we still SHOULD be 3-0. It's just week 3 guys

blueblood70

Reaction score
Coach Mike McCarthy’s team has looked sloppy and unprepared too often this season. There have been too many blown coverages, too many special teams miscues and too many penalties.

There has also been some questionable strategy. He was supposed to give the Cowboys an edge on the sideline. Through three games, it hasn’t happened yet.
dude you have major issues , you are up past 11pm arguing until you are blue in the face on 7 different threads with 6 different people and never let it go,...

freakin whiner....the only thing you are die hard about is complaining that it..

Blake

Reaction score
This assumption that MM does nothing is overblown. I saw a couple occasions on Sunday where he was getting in the refs ear after an egregious flag. It took the clapper a whole decade to figure that one out.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Coach Mike McCarthy’s team has looked sloppy and unprepared too often this season. There have been too many blown coverages, too many special teams miscues and too many penalties.

There has also been some questionable strategy. He was supposed to give the Cowboys an edge on the sideline. Through three games, it hasn’t happened yet.

Now lets look at a couple of things. First McCarthy was signed just before this pandemic started but when it did start and things got to where they are there was no OTA's or mini camps. Training camps were later starting and as a team with a new head coach the Cowboys would have been a team that was supposed to get an extra week of training camp. There were no preseason games.

Now after McCarthy was hired he said and did the smart thing that they would use most of the previous playbook and thus far the problems for the most part hasn't been on the offensive side of the ball. The defense is another story. I've been saying this since week 1 that based on all of the things that teams normally do like OTA's Mini Camps and preseason games it was the wrong time to install a new defensive scheme that requires players to use techniques they never played before like DE's in a 2 point stance instead of the 3 point stance they have always player and played good. For the most part this season Nolan's scheme to play players differently and trying to fool the offense as just made the defense look like the Keystone cops. This part I do blame McCarthy for letting Noland do this. McCarthy should have told Nolan that until things get back to normal use a scheme that has a base defense that allows the players to play to their strengths and when things get back to normal then we can try your multi look scheme.

The special teams has had bad moments. Missed extra point and a missed block that allowed a blocked extra point. A muffed handling of a kickoff but the coverage teams have done pretty good. but again without the normal activities prior to the start of the season to help work those type of things out does factor in on this.

The only other thing I would criticize McCarthy for was twice doing fake punts in a game. But considering everything it's way to early to be throwing McCarthy under the bus.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
dude you have major issues , you are up past 11pm arguing until you are blue in the face on 7 different threads with 6 different people and never let it go,...

freakin whiner....the only thing you are die hard about is complaining that it..
Of course. You don’t like the message so attacking the messenger.

And yes, I’m relentless .