Video: McCarthy: "We were clearly prepared"

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm no football guru, but it certainly didn't look like the Cowboys were close to being prepared for that game. But, what the heck do I know. o_O

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So he rides the coattails of one of the best QBs to win a championship more than a decade ago, and now he’s a pretentious narcissist who refuses to accept reality.

Hey fat boy, your team was undisciplined all year and drastically underperformed when the games actually mattered.

And we wonder why this team has become a bunch of cocky guys who will blame anyone but themselves for their bad play. Unfounded and undeserved confidence runs deep in this organization.

Creeper

Reaction score
Nothing McCarthy said in this interview seems wrong to me. The way he answered the question about being prepared was that he was not surprised by anything the 49ers brought to the game. I think he meant they expected the 49ers to be tough, physical and all the rest. I would have asked the question a little differently. My question would have been about the Cowboys intensity to start the game. It seems to me the Cowboys came out a little flat and the 49ers came out very intense and excited. It was the same in the Rams Cardinals game. The Rams were super fired up and the Cardinals did not match that intensity.

Otherwise, he hit all the right points I think. Penalties are about discipline and smarts. There is no reason at any time to have a presnap penalty. There are always going to be holding penalties although he was also right that holding penalties on running plays are totally unnecessary.

I don't have a bog problem with McCarthy. But at some point he needs to correct these problems, or replace the coaches who are not coaching them out of the players.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy....we were clearly prepared...
200.gif

Last edited:

glimmerman

Reaction score
Season is over. If I was him I wouldn’t talk to the media again until draft. Let JJ do it, he is going to anyways..

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Nothing McCarthy said in this interview seems wrong to me. The way he answered the question about being prepared was that he was not surprised by anything the 49ers brought to the game. I think he meant they expected the 49ers to be tough, physical and all the rest. I would have asked the question a little differently. My question would have been about the Cowboys intensity to start the game. It seems to me the Cowboys came out a little flat and the 49ers came out very intense and excited. It was the same in the Rams Cardinals game. The Rams were super fired up and the Cardinals did not match that intensity.

Otherwise, he hit all the right points I think. Penalties are about discipline and smarts. There is no reason at any time to have a presnap penalty. There are always going to be holding penalties although he was also right that holding penalties on running plays are totally unnecessary.

I don't have a bog problem with McCarthy. But at some point he needs to correct these problems, or replace the coaches who are not coaching them out of the players.

Good, level-headed post. You listened to the interview. My comment about preparation came before I listened to the interview. After I listened, it was just as you described it.

However, I do think penalties is a matter of coaching. I say this because it seemed as if Jimmy Johnson's teams (and Belichick's) were among the least penalized and less turnover prone. How does that happen? Why is it that one team is more prone to penalties than others? That is a factor of teaching and practice.

Unfortunately, we don't have the opportunity to know how or how much teams practice staying on-sides so we don't know exactly how penalties are being addressed at practice. But we make too many penalties. It's not just dumb players. And if it is, maybe those dumb players don't need to be playing. That's an issue of coaching too, i.e., if you're letting players who are consistently making mistakes stay in the line up.

That's why Dee Ford is no longer a Kansas City. Stay on-sides and the Chiefs are looking at playing in their fourth straight Super Bowl.

Redline360

Reaction score
Coaching staff didn't prepare for ****. Get the **** out of here. MM needs to go can't stand him anymore.

Can't tell me you were ready when the offense came out using the se generic plays from from second half and the niners were literally sitting on early routes and runs

Defense is about the only thing that made adjustments at half. They played pretty good after that.

75boyz

Reaction score
So he rides the coattails of one of the best QBs to win a championship more than a decade ago, and now he’s a pretentious narcissist who refuses to accept reality.

Hey fat boy, your team was undisciplined all year and drastically underperformed when the games actually mattered.

And we wonder why this team has become a bunch of cocky guys who will blame anyone but themselves for their bad play. Unfounded and undeserved confidence runs deep in this organization.

Fantastic post.

Aven8

Reaction score
This still falls back on the offense and penalties. The D hunkered down and played really well in the second half. I blame the O for not being prepared and the dumbest penalties I’ve seen in forever! It was like Witten and Flozell were back!

fivetwos

Reaction score
This is depressing.

Is obvious the excuse making and blaming others that Jerry gives off while answering questions on the radio constantly is now ripping through the entire organization.

He is never gonna understand that he needs to shut up. Never.

Bad enough he can't get it right picking coaches.

It's cliche at this point and easy to say, but this is a real problem and he either is too arrogant to notice or just doesn't care.