McClay and Quinn leave together?

stiletto

Reaction score
What do GM's do? Does Will McClay really want to be responsible for negotiating contracts, in addition to player evaluation? Does McClay want to pick the coaches, also? Jerry already pays McClay like a GM, but he doesn't have all the responsibilities a GM would have in another place. Sometimes, the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence.
There's a flip side to those questions, maybe he WANTS to do all that and be a real GM and not hee-haw around Jerry all the time.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Okay, so what about Washington? Why wouldn't he want to go there to do a rebuild, work with Magic Johnson, etc?
Why would a proven NFL football Exec want to work with a basketball legend and numerous other random sports dudes brought in to look over his shoulder while he conducts football ops.?

stiletto

Reaction score
Why would a proven NFL football Exec want to work with a basketball legend and numerous other random sports dudes brought in to look over his shoulder while he conducts football ops.?
Guess it would depend on how much power he is given over coaches, players, etc. If he gets full power he might consider it. There's no proof they are meddling yet. They let Rivera stay around longer than I thought.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I have this funny feeling that Jerry is finally going to name Will McClay as the GM.

He's exorcizing demons lately. He knows he's near the end.
I just don't see it happening, but perhaps you could see some weird title come out of it like Associate GM of Football Operations, lol.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Bob Sturm just proposed an interesting idea that Will McClay and Dan Quinn have built such a good relationship that they could be looking to present themselves as a GM/HC combo to teams (Panthers, Chargers, Commodes) looking to fill both positions.

Panthers and Chargers are reported to be interviewing McClay/Quinn to bring in both as a tandem. Sidenote: Kellen Moore is already in LA. Thoughts?
You gotta love the overwhelming rumor mill that are gonna pretty much have it all wrong I don't care what people are speculating right now they're all the coaches of the Dallas Cowboys and we'll deal with the rest later but I don't think will mcclay is in a hurry to leave here last I checked he wanted to wait to move before his kids graduated high school so he wants them to finish whatever they wanna do in DFW before he even thinks a movie he's one of the highest paid GM's without a title therefore Jerry is the one getting all the heat and he's not getting fired because Jerry's not gonna fire himself but technically will mcclay is the GM without a title yet he doesn't have the high risk part of being a GM... All this speculation where everyone might go it's just way too soon it's ridiculous and you know what if it happens it happens then we can discuss it and you know what not worried not worried if we lose Dan Quinn not worried if the whole coaching staff gets fired I'm not even worried if Prescott leaves it's just part of sports....

we'll cross that bridge when we come to it

this stuff gets ohh because we have a playoff run and this is what we're talking about speculation and rumor especially this like Dan Quinn taking everyone that's not the case if Jerry wants to step in he could keep who he wants to keep it just keep paying him more but for me I'm letting Dan Quinn walk anyway I'm not fighting to keep him here he's been good for this franchise but he's not perfect he doesn't have this defense playing like the best defenses in NFL history I mean we have one right now the Ravens who again for like the third time and then NFL history have one of the best defenses ever Dan Quinn's defense is so inconsistent it blows big leads it can't stop the run consistently anybody who's worried about him leaving it might be time..

blueblood70

Reaction score
I don’t see either leaving, especially for Carolina but it is a unique opportunity so nothing is completely surprising.

Wouldn’t bet on it though.
Well the news here is Seattle just moved on or rearranged Pete Carroll's duties he's no longer the head coach that's probably stop number one for Dan Quinn they've got basically a fringe playoff team right now that would be a good spot for him along with LA but I'm not worried about him leaving but this whole mcclay thing, these are just wild swinging rumors...

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
Fear of losing Quinn and McClay at the same time could explain the smoke around a certain defensive guru with personnel experience in New England.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Bob Sturm just proposed an interesting idea that Will McClay and Dan Quinn have built such a good relationship that they could be looking to present themselves as a GM/HC combo to teams (Panthers, Chargers, Commodes) looking to fill both positions.

Panthers and Chargers are reported to be interviewing McClay/Quinn to bring in both as a tandem. Sidenote: Kellen Moore is already in LA. Thoughts?
Not happening.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Why would McClay leave? Here he gets all the credit for the GM job ........ and none of the blame.

rambo2

Reaction score

No, McClay likely stays and Quinn might too.

Kwyn

Reaction score
An owner who makes himself the GM trying to play fantasy football with a real team is much worse than having a say on which of the top 2 rated QBs to take at the top of a draft.
If you say so, Like it or not, Jerry has been the GM of the team for over 20 years. He has infinitely more knowledge and experience than Tepper or most any other owner when it comes to the GM side of things.

MikeT22

Reaction score
If you say so, Like it or not, Jerry has been the GM of the team for over 20 years. He has infinitely more knowledge and experience than Tepper or most any other owner when it comes to the GM side of things.
Based on the last 28 years it doesn’t look like it. By far the most meddlesome owner.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
McClay, Quinn AND Al Harris...then Parsons.

Al Harris has said he would follow Quinn to the Perth Panthers(or some weird city in a different country). Parsons has said he is following Quinn wherever.

Obviously Al Harris is angling for a pay raise or promotion from the Jones' if Quinn leaves...may be he does follow. Parsons is under contract and would have to wait...but most likely is resigning with Dallas regardless if Quinn leaves.