McClay and Quinn leave together?

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I can see Quinn going to SD if offered the job (I don't think he will find Carolina and Wash appealing).

McClay would probably like Wash considering they have a good draft pick coming and I believe they have the best cap situation the league heading into 2024.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
His family situation may be a consideration.

If he hated working for Jerry he would have probably been gone already, and just maybe Jerry has promised him the unique opportunity to keep his family stable, while eventually getting the GM title as well.

If the money is the same, and it probably is, I could see someone choosing that over another crazy owner where he must win in 2-3 years or is gone anyway.

If Jerry loses him over not wanting to give up the title he continues to do his own franchise a disservice, all while swearing he would do anything to win. Nothing would change, just a different title and that better not be what makes him leave.

Quinn will be a HC again. It won’t be here, but I think he is waiting for a certain job to open, then he will go. I believe this year is that year, and he finally goes, but doesn’t take Harris with him, so Dallas could promote him.
McClay has referenced his son before when these things come up so I would guess that is accurate.

I'm sure DQ would love to take staff but Jerry will try to money whip them to stay which frankly may be a reason for DQ to stay. He could have more concern about building a staff if Dallas will just outbid him for the guys in house now.
And Dallas will enter next year as a SB contender which is how coaches get large raises and big promotions.

My guy says DQ leaves but I would have said same last year.
I am not sure I see any reason to believe McClay would leave.

fivetwos

Reaction score
McClay has referenced his son before when these things come up so I would guess that is accurate.

I'm sure DQ would love to take staff but Jerry will try to money whip them to stay which frankly may be a reason for DQ to stay. He could have more concern about building a staff if Dallas will just outbid him for the guys in house now.
And Dallas will enter next year as a SB contender which is how coaches get large raises and big promotions.

The Charger job is attractive. I said the same about NE if they can land a QB in this draft. Then theres the rest of the usual suspects where you have two years to perform miracles or be gone. He certainly isn’t going to Atlanta.

I do think Quinn has his eye on Seattle, which is a matter of what Carroll wants to do. Doesn’t look ready to quit to me, so maybe we get another year.

Remember that Harris is a McCarthy guy, not a Quinn guy, but I can’t know if being a great DB coach makes you a great play caller. He deserves that shot though eventually.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Okay, so what about Washington? Why wouldn't he want to go there to do a rebuild, work with Magic Johnson, etc?
He might. He might like the Chargers. I was only responding to the Panthers opening.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score

I think Quinn's best move would be to leave this year. He's had the defense playing great for 3 consecutive years and while the talent is still there, hard to keep that up long term. The iron may cool next offseason.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I think Quinn's best move would be to leave this year. He's had the defense playing great for 3 consecutive years and while the talent is still there, hard to keep that up long term. The iron may cool next offseason.
For sure. He's gone.

DE - Tank older. No guarantees Armstrong and Fowler get re-signed.
DT - Hank older. Mazi disappointing.
LB - No more LVE, but he does get Overshown next year if he can stay healthy. Clarke playing better.
S - They've all peaked.
CB - Gilmore older. No guarantee Diggs fully recovers.

Window is closing. Great time to tip your hat and find a team with young talent and see one last time if you can get back to the Super Bowl as a HC.

stiletto

Reaction score
For sure. He's gone.

DE - Tank older. No guarantees Armstrong and Fowler get re-signed.
DT - Hank older. Mazi disappointing.
LB - No more LVE, but he does get Overshown next year if he can stay healthy. Clarke playing better.
S - They've all peaked.
CB - Gilmore older. No guarantee Diggs fully recovers.

Window is closing. Great time to tip your hat and find a team with young talent and see one last time if you can get back to the Super Bowl as a HC.
Chargers make the most sense but they may go offensive minded HC. Their defense is what really needs an overhaul, so maybe...

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Chargers make the most sense but they may go offensive minded HC. Their defense is what really needs an overhaul, so maybe...
The Chargers and Commanders are, to me, the most attractive Head Coaching gigs. Chargers because you have a QB, Commanders because you have all the draft and cap space in the world and a completely new administration.

Every other head coaching gig just has so much baggage around it.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
The Chargers and Commanders are, to me, the most attractive Head Coaching gigs. Chargers because you have a QB, Commanders because you have all the draft and cap space in the world and a completely new administration.

Every other head coaching gig just has so much baggage around it.
Titans might be worth a shot. But it's a rebuild project. I was always impressed with the fanbase there considering they were an expansion team. Good football environment.

Falcons maybe less of a rebuild, and in an easy division for quick impact?

Raiders, Panthers - baggage for sure.

I would go for the Chargers only because it seems like every new coach loses their job when the QB doesn't work out. Live and die by those franchise QBs. Assuming this last year was a blip for Herbert. Line him up with the right people and coaches, make sure he understands the expectations, and let him rip.

Carnes

Reaction score
I'm sure both McClay and DQ understand that just because the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence doesn't mean that it is.

quickccc

Reaction score
I don’t see either leaving, especially for Carolina but it is a unique opportunity so nothing is completely surprising.

Wouldn’t bet on it though.
i could see Quinn leaving as HC elsewhere, but not McClay.

it's a reason why he's not already departed to be GM on another NFL team.
And i don't think it's all about money either.

McClay has mentioned several times in interviews that he likes it here with Cowboys, and how much his
family likes it with the city.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Titans might be worth a shot. But it's a rebuild project. I was always impressed with the fanbase there considering they were an expansion team. Good football environment.

I would go for the Chargers only because it seems like every new coach loses their job when the QB doesn't work out. Live and die by those franchise QBs. Assuming this last year was a blip for Herbert. Line him up with the right people and coaches, make sure he understands the expectations, and let him rip.
I don't have faith in the Falcons roster. I think that is also a rebuild.

Chargers has the QB but they have cap decisions to make, some of their skill players are aging on both sides of the ball and Dean Spanos is not a great owner. Still, having a good QB can cure a lot of these ills but that organization has a reputation as well

MikeT22

Reaction score
Makes it even worse
An owner who makes himself the GM trying to play fantasy football with a real team is much worse than having a say on which of the top 2 rated QBs to take at the top of a draft.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Last draft wasn't good imho, however there's still time and McClay's overall track record is very good. Quinn turned around a historically bad defense, literally so he deserves credit for his body of work in Dallas. Let me ask you, how was Cowboys drafts and free agency decisions before McClay? Also, how was the Cowboys Defense before DQ?
The better a team is, the harder it is for any rookie to have a big impact. The Cowboys defense led the league in turnovers two years straight in 2021 & 2022, so their defense was already good. The Cowboys offense was ranked #1 in 2022, so there wasn't much impact to be had by a rookie on offense either. The Cowboys do have a rookie who had a huge impact - Brandon Aubrey.

It's much too early to assess the impact of the 2023 draft class.
  • DT Mazi Smith - has been less than hoped for so far, but he could make a big 2nd year leap after spending time working out with Micah during the offseason (working on his get-off) and time in the weight room.
  • TE Luke Schoonmaker - has already been a key player in two tight end sets, and there isn't any reason to believe he won't improve with a healthy offseason and training camp. Besides, how can you be upset that Ferguson has played great and limited Schoonmaker's opportunities?
  • LB DeMarvion Overshown - a late summer injury really derailed his rookie season. The Cowboys clearly need more linebackers, and there is hope he can be an improvement over what the Cowboys have had
  • DE/DT Viliami Fehoko - this was CLEARLY a futures pick, because the Cowboys were already stacked on the Dline. He'll get his chances in future years.
  • CB Eric Scott - he's clearly not a DaRon Bland, but he's likely better than Nahshon Wright and Kelvin Joseph, who both were misses. He'll get his chance to be the dime cornerback next season, unless the Cowboys find another player in this year's draft. But he's been a good special teamer, and obviously is ahead of former 1st round pick Igbinoghene.
  • RB Deuce Vaughn - has been a disappointment, but I never thought he was big enough to play in the NFL. Maybe he proves me wrong, but I doubt it.
  • WR Jalen Brooks - has been a good special teams player, and hasn't been a disappointment in the few chances he's received. With Gallup likely gone after this season, he'll get a chance to move up the roster.
Other rookies like Luepke, Bass and Aubrey have had bigger impacts on the team this season. But good teams draft for the future, not just the immediate impact. If rookies make immediate impacts, it's likely the team wasn't as good when they were drafted. I take the long view on draft picks, and also rookie free agent signings. It took two seasons of minimal impact before Dalton Schultz had a big impact. It took Donovan Wilson until his 4th season to have a big impact. It is mildly disappointing that the rookie class of 2023 hasn't had more of an impact, but I suggest that Overshown would have been a big contributor, and Aubrey has been great. Have a little more patience.

Jumbo075

Reaction score

The Panthers, Chargers, Raiders and Titans have bad ownership, IMO. I would prefer Washington or Atlanta - if Atlanta has a strategy to find a QB. Seattle doesn't have a long-term solution at QB, either.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don't think McClay and Quinn will be working together elsewhere. I strongly feel Quinn is headed to Seattle with Pete Carroll as his GM. As for McClay, I think he is extremely content staying where he is.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
What do GM's do? Does Will McClay really want to be responsible for negotiating contracts, in addition to player evaluation? Does McClay want to pick the coaches, also? Jerry already pays McClay like a GM, but he doesn't have all the responsibilities a GM would have in another place. Sometimes, the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence.