McClay and Quinn leave together?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I beg to differ, given the high rate of misses with our 2nd’s.
Something tells me that isn't McClay. If you watch the Deep Blue War Zone movies they make at DC.COM they go into the war rooms and Q&A a lot of people involved. To a tee, everyone admits that Jerry likes to gamble with his 2nd-4th picks on high potential players that were dropped for whatever reason.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Anything to get Jerry out of ANY decision making role with the Cowboys I'm good with.

Mr_437

Reaction score
How did Mr. McClay did on our last year draft. Dan Quin's defense did not do well in away game and certainly was not good against a good team
Last draft wasn't good imho, however there's still time and McClay's overall track record is very good. Quinn turned around a historically bad defense, literally so he deserves credit for his body of work in Dallas. Let me ask you, how was Cowboys drafts and free agency decisions before McClay? Also, how was the Cowboys Defense before DQ?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Bob Sturm just proposed an interesting idea that Will McClay and Dan Quinn have built such a good relationship that they could be looking to present themselves as a GM/HC combo to teams (Panthers, Chargers, Commodes) looking to fill both positions.

Panthers and Chargers are reported to be interviewing McClay/Quinn to bring in both as a tandem. Sidenote: Kellen Moore is already in LA. Thoughts?
That would really hurt this franchise to lose both. I've come to grips with potentially losing Quinn but to lose McClay and Quinn would be terrible. I can't see both leaving here to go to the Panthers. Not the Commodes either. Chargers could get interesting but I really feel like they go the offensive coach route.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The thing about McClay and this front office is they don't spend money in free agency and they are still able to build a contender. For an organization that doesn't like to spend money via free agency McClay is a huge asset.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Never know. If he is given John Lynch power, he just might. Unless someone knows McClay personally here, it is all speculation either way. I'm sure McClay feels he can fix a team like Carolina, especially if he is guaranteed a few years and full power. I'd hate to see him leave but it won't be surprising to me.
Tepper is more hands on than Jerry. He’s why they drafted the wrong quarterback against his HCs feedback

Mr_437

Reaction score
I would be very surprised to see an owner hire a HC and GM from the same team who have a history if working together. Fear of mutiny.
The 3 organizations discussed are in bad shape, so the fear of losing money and fan support should outweigh the fear of hiring a GM/HC that could possible turn a lowly franchise around and put money in the owners pockets.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Time to buy McClay a matching yacht Jerry. Just a nice little "incentive" to stay put. :grin:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
McClay has been considered for GM roles at least 5 times to remain as the de-facto GM in Dallas.
He is getting paid for the role and he does the actual job.
But he could certainly leave for a place where he is the sole voice, Team President.

In Dallas he has a job for life. He won't be fired for a couple bad drafts and isn't held responsible for team record.
So the grass isn't always greener.

Dan Quinn may want to run a team again. He's done everything in football so who knows what he wants end of day.
But a defensive coach with a likely future hall of fame player in Parsons is a heck of a lot more fun than wrangling cats on all 3 of offense/defense/ST.

I'd have argued the Chargers with a solid young QB were appealing 2 years ago.
But now?? Not at all. They keep underachieving and firing coaches.
Plus they moved from San Diego where you can live a nice, wealthy suburban lifestyle to insane LA where rich people with drivers sit in traffic for hours.

If Dallas does lose both they'd be VERY appealing jobs for any DC and Personnel guy to take on.
The bigger worry is how many people followed both out the door.
Could cause a season of regression to re-tool scouting and/or defensive coaching side of the ball.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If both of these guys leave, I'll be pushing up the daisies before we see another Super Bowl.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Will has one of the safest jobs in the business, think about it, he gets paid GM money and the owner takes all the heat...I'm not sure any "GM" would leave that.

fivetwos

Reaction score
McClay has been considered for GM roles at least 5 times to remain as the de-facto GM in Dallas.
He is getting paid for the role and he does the actual job.
But he could certainly leave for a place where he is the sole voice, Team President.

In Dallas he has a job for life. He won't be fired for a couple bad drafts and isn't held responsible for team record.
So the grass isn't always greener.

Dan Quinn may want to run a team again. He's done everything in football so who knows what he wants end of day.
But a defensive coach with a likely future hall of fame player in Parsons is a heck of a lot more fun than wrangling cats on all 3 of offense/defense/ST.

I'd have argued the Chargers with a solid young QB were appealing 2 years ago.
But now?? Not at all. They keep underachieving and firing coaches.
Plus they moved from San Diego where you can live a nice, wealthy suburban lifestyle to insane LA where rich people with drivers sit in traffic for hours.

If Dallas does lose both they'd be VERY appealing jobs for any DC and Personnel guy to take on.
The bigger worry is how many people followed both out the door.
Could cause a season of regression to re-tool scouting and/or defensive coaching side of the ball.
His family situation may be a consideration.

If he hated working for Jerry he would have probably been gone already, and just maybe Jerry has promised him the unique opportunity to keep his family stable, while eventually getting the GM title as well.

If the money is the same, and it probably is, I could see someone choosing that over another crazy owner where he must win in 2-3 years or is gone anyway.

If Jerry loses him over not wanting to give up the title he continues to do his own franchise a disservice, all while swearing he would do anything to win. Nothing would change, just a different title and that better not be what makes him leave.

Quinn will be a HC again. It won’t be here, but I think he is waiting for a certain job to open, then he will go. I believe this year is that year, and he finally goes, but doesn’t take Harris with him, so Dallas could promote him.

Bagman

Reaction score
If DQ leaves bring in Vrabel as the DC and put Micah at OLB. Say what you want as a HC, but his defenses always resemble SF and Balty. If we can’t get past either of those teams we need to build a D that can.
I love the idea of Vrabel, unfortunately I think he's looking for a head coaching job. He's going to get a few offers.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Bob Sturm just proposed an interesting idea that Will McClay and Dan Quinn have built such a good relationship that they could be looking to present themselves as a GM/HC combo to teams (Panthers, Chargers, Commodes) looking to fill both positions.

Panthers and Chargers are reported to be interviewing McClay/Quinn to bring in both as a tandem. Sidenote: Kellen Moore is already in LA. Thoughts?
If Jerry lets them go it just shows how much of a fool he really is. He ain't taken those billions to the grave. So might as well spend it on top coaches and McClay, etc.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Would be the beginning of the end for us.
McClay's drafts have hidden our front offices weaknesses in free agency and coaching blunders.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Does Will McClay participate in the media at all? I don't know that I've ever seen him interviewed.