Video: McFadden picking up the blitz, literally

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Just looked at his stats, confirming what I already knew. 3.9 YPC this year? Absymal. I know defensed played the run first few months of the season but I expect minimum 4.5 behind this line.

Not fair to compare that when he has played this whole time with no Romo. Murray had games of 3.65 against the eagles 1st match, 2.63 against the Colts and 2.62 in the eagles rematch. Lets see what McFadden ypc is at the end of this stretch with Romo

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I've seen the falcons use that with Julio Jones time and time again, and he just takes over. It's crazy.

Take this from Broaddus for what it is worth:

On the plane flight home, Dez Bryant told me that he and Tony Romo made an adjustment early in the game based on how Brent Grimes and Reshad Jones were playing him. Bryant said that he had a hard time getting both Grimes and Jones to move in coverage, and you could clearly see that on tape that they were sitting on him. Bryant asked Romo to think about throwing more inside routes where he could escape the coverage. In the second quarter, Romo hit Bryant on an “in” cut where he was able to snatch the ball for a 10-yard gain. He also hit Bryant out of the slot coming across the field. Bryant drove hard at safety Walt Aikens and broke so hard to the inside that Aikens was left flat-footed on the play as Bryant gathered the ball in for a touchdown. Dez Bryant has always seen safety help over the top, but each week his understanding of how to beat it is growing.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
McFadden is a nice guy. He could have gone full Marc Colombo.

colombo-vs-d-hall.gif

Danger

Reaction score

On the plane flight home, Dez Bryant told me that he and Tony Romo made an adjustment early in the game based on how Brent Grimes and Reshad Jones were playing him. Bryant said that he had a hard time getting both Grimes and Jones to move in coverage, and you could clearly see that on tape that they were sitting on him. Bryant asked Romo to think about throwing more inside routes where he could escape the coverage. In the second quarter, Romo hit Bryant on an “in” cut where he was able to snatch the ball for a 10-yard gain. He also hit Bryant out of the slot coming across the field. Bryant drove hard at safety Walt Aikens and broke so hard to the inside that Aikens was left flat-footed on the play as Bryant gathered the ball in for a touchdown. Dez Bryant has always seen safety help over the top, but each week his understanding of how to beat it is growing.

I'm sure the "Dez is a dummy who can't read coverages" crowd will gloss over this :rolleyes:

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Just looked at his stats, confirming what I already knew. 3.9 YPC this year? Absymal. I know defensed played the run first few months of the season but I expect minimum 4.5 behind this line.

Also those numbers are skewed from the first 5 games when he was a backup to randle and only came in getting 6 or 7 carries here and there. Not to mention it ignores his passing threat he has over 200 receiving yards as well.

erod

Reaction score
Well designed blitz and awful play design by us per usual.

It's called an all-out blitz. If Dez reads it and doesn't slant to the post, it could have been a nice gain or touchdown.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Instead of a hot read they depend on Romo to do a triple Lindy ninja move to avoid a blitzer or two, that's why no mere mortal can run this offense.

And before the play you see Romo looking toward the sideline confused.

If Romo isn't clear on the playcall then how are the other 10 guys supposed to be clear?

khiladi

Reaction score
its on dez for not reading the coverage and adjusting like tony did

We've always had issues like this. I'm just wondering how awful we are at coaching our WRs during blitzes. Crayton raised the issue of hot-reads in one of his interviews awhile back that we really don't have them, implicating Garrett... Opposing teams kill us on these types of blitzes...

This is just fundamentally flawed from the get-go...

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score

So Romo is the offensive coordinator and Dez is the WRs coach now...