Twitter: McGovern eventually taking over the center job?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
NO... Biadaz is and will continue to be your starter ....

Probably. He’s not that good though. He may develop into a better player but right now he’s kinda meh.

Our pass blocking up the middle has been wishy washy at times too Watching the interior get thrown back into Dak’s lap is a bit of a concern.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
McGovern looks better when he is on the field .

Because he is better.

It’s odd that McGovern is easily one of their best 5 and probably their 3rd best lineman and yet they find ways to keep him off the field.

It’s gotta be frustrating for him.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I believe that is the plan--get your 5 best on the field.

Badaize is a very good run blocker, but has struggled in pass protection.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It was preseason.. That's the perfect time to take a peek at it. Once it proved to not be working I think McGovern and the rook (Ball?) was always the fallback. But I had no problem with them taking a look at Williams in preseason. I think they wanted to see if they could justify re-signing him owing to his "versatility." Once he fell on his face as a snapper his exit from Dallas at the end of this year became pretty much written in stone. McGovern is the stronger player at guard and obviously despite his struggles at times, Biadasz is clearly better at center.
Have we seen McGovern at center?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think for now biadaz has the leg up mentally. That may change as the season progresses. McGovern seems to be pretty smart so at worst he will be a capable backup capable of stepping in when needed.

75boyz

Reaction score
Well, he has been getting lead blocker fullback snaps...
Philbin may be using that as a prime opportunity to observe if he can become the eventual starting center.

I mean he's getting a running start so it's a little different but still...right? lol

Keep up the good work Philbin. I'll hafta just keep puttin my trust in ya.

jmo

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Is that not McGoverns role?

It wasn’t during camp and preseason. They were not using McGovern at center during camp. Farniok was getting all the reps as backup center in camp.

Looks like things have changed a little now. No one knows for sure how or why. Could be because Biadasz is getting bull rushed on occasion. Could be Farniok is not the answer. Could be McGovern is so good they need a place for him.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Have we seen McGovern at center?

No but the coaches have probably seen him nail snaps in practice so my guess is they didn't need to see him in preseason games.. They know what they have.. Keep in mind that coming into the season we started with Zack out with the Covid deal for an unknown period of time so we really needed McGovern focused on guard and not center..

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Not so fast.

And that’s probably why they tried Williams BUT Frederick wasn’t the quickest but what he could do is keep the pocket in front of the QB clean.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like, .. how come we are just now training up McGovern at center, instead of jumping on this in OTAs, camp, preseason when he could've used
the live trench experience very early on ?

Williams couldve had his share at center, but McGovern couldve had his reps at center too.

The timing can certainly be questioned.

quickccc

Reaction score
And that’s probably why they tried Williams BUT Frederick wasn’t the quickest but what he could do is keep the pocket in front of the QB clean.

Thatt's why OTAs, training camp and preseason are the perfect time to be working on such technique flaws .
this remind me of the mystery last year in 2020, when we were asking why Philibin seemed refusal to play McGovern ... until injuries forced him otherwise.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Thatt's why OTAs, training camp and preseason are the perfect time to be working on such technique flaws .
this remind me of the mystery last year in 2020, when we were asking why Philibin seemed refusal to play McGovern ... until injuries forced him otherwise.

He did tear his pectoral muscle his rookie year and that’s a difficult injury to come back from. Especially for an Olineman.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I believe that is the plan--get your 5 best on the field.

Badaize is a very good run blocker, but has struggled in pass protection.

So have MOST of Cowboys OL this season.

Cowboys OL dominate in run blocking.

But they are improving, Panthers had 1 hit on Dak and ZERO sacks.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Let me throw an idea at you that I know some of you would absolutely hate.

What about McGovern at Center and La’el Collins at LG?