McNabb says Owens' criticism amounts to ``black-on-black crime''

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
McNabb says Owens' criticism amounts to ``black-on-black crime''

February 1, 2006

DETROIT (AP) -- Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb injected a race element into his rift with Terrell Owens on Wednesday, saying the receiver's criticism amounted to "black-on-black crime."

In an interview with ESPN, McNabb rehashed some of the low moments of his relationship with his teammate, making fun of Owens' driveway apology and bringing up the race angle.

In November, responding to a question from Michael Irvin during an ESPN interview, Owens said Philadelphia would likely be in a better situation if Brett Favre was the quarterback instead of the banged-up McNabb.

"It was like, it's unreal," McNabb said. "That's like me going out and saying, `Hey, if we had Steve Largent. If we had Joe Jurevicius. It was definitely a slap in the face to me. It was a slap in the face because, as deep as people want to go into it, it was black-on-black crime."

Not long after that, an NAACP leader criticized McNabb for "playing the race card" in explaining why he didn't run the ball as often as he used to.

In November, the Eagles suspended Owens for the remainder of the season for his repeated criticism of the team, McNabb and several other issues. The team recently gave Owens permission to seek a trade, and this week he visited the Denver Broncos.

On Wednesday, McNabb brought up some of the criticism he had taken through his career, and said Owens was simply piling on with his statement.

"It's different to say, `If we had Michael Vick or Daunte Culpepper or Steve McNair or Byron Leftwich," McNabb said of four black starting quarterbacks. "But to go straight to Brett Favre, that kind of just slapped me in the face like, `Wow ..."'

Owens apologized twice publicly -- once after his preseason holdout and then again, in his driveway, after he was suspended.

"The first apology, that was to the organization," McNabb said. "Then, I was thrown in there -- `If I offended Donovan in any way' -- you know. Instead of that, you could have just told me, hey, I apologize for the way it came out. I didn't mean it that way. Just come talk to me."

Kevinicus

Reaction score
hmm, i would think Vick, Culpepper, McNair (to a lesser extent), and Leftwich would be much bigger slaps in the face than being compared to Favre.

TEK2000

Reaction score
ChldsPlay said:
hmm, i would think Vick, Culpepper, McNair (to a lesser extent), and Leftwich would be much bigger slaps in the face than being compared to Favre.

No kidding!!!

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
"Don't hate, discriminate" right? :rolleyes:

McFlabb, that was, undoubtably, the most idiotic thing I've ever heard or read from an athlete, and that includes Mike Tyson fading into Bolivian

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
mcnabb (& his papa who said the same nonsense) needs to **** now.

his free ride ended awhile ago.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I fail to see how the color comes into play. He was just saying Favre was a better QB at the moment and the team would be better off with him instead of the gimpy McNabb.

The only racism I see is from Mr. McChunky saying that it was an insult to say a guy who just happens to be white would be better at QB... but that to say a guy who just happens to be black wouldn't be an insult. That's just outrageous. Why wouldn't it be an insult if it were Vick or Leftwich? It's still saying somebody else would be better for the team than you. That's an insult, just like saying Favre or Brees.

I just don't get that mentality.

ddh33

Reaction score
I honestly think this is part of the reason why TO wanted out. I mean it. I think he got sick of McNabb and that whole organization.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
ddh33 said:
I honestly think this is part of the reason why TO wanted out. I mean it. I think he got sick of McNabb and that whole organization.

TO has wanted out of everything

Reed

Reaction score
you guys need to realize this article is a little bit of bull**** and twisting by the journalist, i watched the entire interview live and he was asked if it felt like a black on black incident about the NAACP and he said yes, then they twisted it into terrel owens and that situation, if you watch it live it makes complete sense, these quotes are taken out of context to help make a story, mcnabb is a good person and a nice guy, who tries to avoid all this bull**** but people keep putting it in his face

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Reed said:
you guys need to realize this article is a little bit of bull**** and twisting by the journalist, i watched the entire interview live and he was asked if it felt like a black on black incident about the NAACP and he said yes, then they twisted it into terrel owens and that situation, if you watch it live it makes complete sense, these quotes are taken out of context to help make a story, mcnabb is a good person and a nice guy, who tries to avoid all this bull**** but people keep putting it in his face

well, then both black athletes, AND the media, need to stop pulling the race card

Reed

Reaction score
they do it for the sole reason of gaining veiwership and creating stories. The more viewers, the more money they make by charging to advertisers, if you honestly watch espn a lot, be objective, you'll realize the entire channel is just bull, there are no real stories, and the analysts are garbage, jump on bandwagons and make ridiculous statements to make people want to watch certain players / teams to help them gain more popularity.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
My observations:

1.) Relax guys (another overreaction to racial comments). The black-on-black reference was metaphorical.

2.) It wasn't inappropriate for McNabb to mention race. Heck, that's all we've heard regarding McNabb ever since Rush Limbaugh raised the issue about media favoritism towards him. McNabb has had to fight that ever since, hearing it ad nauseum from reporters who want to continue to beat him over the head with the black quarterback angle. So why should it come as a shock that he uses a racial metaphor?

3.) I do, however, disagree with McNabb that TO used Favre as a way to compare a white QB with a black QB. Michael Irvin offered it, and TO responded. But TO was being a jerk. You could tell by the smirk on his face. Having said that, I can't blame McNabb for being super sensitive about comment and considering it a jab at his race. Again, it seems that he's getting hammered for being a "black" QB - or at least reminded that he is a black QB if not from Limbaugh then from the head of the Philadelphia NAACP.
I'm sure McNabb would just want the "black QB" issue to die. But many around him won't let it.

4.) McNabb handled himself well. People say he should have been more of a leader, but he was damned if he did, damned if he didn't. If he gets up in TO's face - as some have suggested - he incites a situation and then either gets his tail whipped or whips TO's tail and then you have a major, major media controversy that won't die down. Then what if he gets his tail handed to him, what respect does he receive from his teammates.
Besides, McNabb is a mature, civilized individual. It's a shame that when one handles oneself like civilized people do, they're considered a wuss, less than a leader, etc. TO was trying to bait McNabb, plain and simple. And McNabb wasn't going to play his game. Too much to lose.

5.) What impresses me about McNabb is that he continued to reach out to TO after the disputes, after his injury. He went to him man to man to both settle disputes and check on him after his injury to make him feel included.
The man's parents even went over his house and offered help. TO is just a baby.

6.) Only a distorted, warped, self-centered individual would take McNabb's quote about the Eagles being able to win without TO as a personal slight.

"When questions keep being raised that we won't be the same offense without him, you want to continue to show confidence in the guys that are stepping in his spot, the guys that are out there. So you say, 'We can continue this thing. We can win without Terrell. We've been to three NFC Championship Games without Terrell.' So the message I'm sending to the guys is we can still do this thing. And the rest of the team said the same thing.

Sounds okay to me.

Somebody's going to sign TO next year. I just hope it's not the Cowboys.