McNabb says Owens' criticism amounts to ``black-on-black crime''

kmd24

Reaction score
The really stupid thing about this whole mess is that Mike Irvin was simply making a point about GB's lack of talent when he said that about Favre.

The basic question was whether Favre was still good enough to win, and Irvin said that, if Favre were surrounded by better talent, then he could still win games. For example, if he were surrounded by the Philly talent, he might be undefeated. It was intended as praise for Favre, not disrespect for McNabb. Irvin did call McNabb out for playing poorly in the early part of the season, which may be why Philly came to his mind. But to suggest that the intent was to single out McNabb and propose replacing him with a white QB is ludicrous.

Owens never brought up Favre. Irvin's comments were twisted around and asked to Owens in an obvious attempt to bait Owens into taking a shot at McNabb. Owens gladly accepted the opportunity and brought up two things which I think are sore spots for Owens. First, he talked about Favre playing with injury. Then he mentioned Favre's deep knowledge of the QB position. These are thinly veiled shots at McNabb, and Favre was just a convenient vehicle for both the reporter and Owens. The fact that Favre is white is purely coincidental when you consider the chain of events.

The whole reason Favre is in the conversation is that HE WAS THE SUBJECT OF CONVERSATION TO BEGIN WITH! Basically, the discussion amounted to whether Favre could still win in a different situation.

Now, I feel that McNabb is hypersensitive to the race issue, perhaps rightfully so. However, it is 100% his responsibility for bringing race into the discussion. What follows is an excert (verbatim) from the interview that ESPN aired on sportscenter:

McNabb: [in response to TO's comments about Favre]...that's unreal. That's just like me going out on a limb and saying, you know, 'if we had Steve Largent,' you know, 'if we had, you know, Joe Jurevicius...'"

Michael Smith: Now, those are two guys who are of a different skin tone from Terrell Owens, with a completely different skill set than Terrell Owens. Do you feel that - now, I'm just connecting the dots here - but do you feel like that was not only disrespectful to Terrell Owens's quarterback, but as an African American QB, who has enough stuff to deal with as it is.

McNabb: It was definitely a slap in the face for me. It was a slap in the face because, as deep as people won't go into it, it was black on black crime. I mean, you have a guy that has been criticized just about all his career, and now the last criticism was that I'm selling out because I don't run anymore, um, by an African American. And to say, you know, that if we had Brett Favre, you know, that could be, you know, OK if we had, you know, another quarterback of a different descent, ethnic background, that we'll be winning. Or for me to say, again, you know, if we had a receiver like that, uh, that's kind of something that I thought about like, 'Wow!' I mean, it's different to say, 'Well, if we had Michael Vick...'

Michael Smith: Right

McNabb: Or if you say, if we had Daunte Culpepper,

Michael Smith: Steve McNair

McNabb: Steve McNair, Aaron Brooks, Byron Leftwich. But to go, you know, straight to Brett Favre, you know, that kind of just slapped me in the face, like, 'Wow!'

Now, to give McNabb the benefit of the doubt, he may not realize the history behind the Favre comments. But since he claimed to have watched the interview in which TO made the comments about Brett Favre, he should have observed that Owens didn't go "straight to Brett Favre." In fact, he should have heard the reporter ask the leading question that included the phrase "Michael Irvin recently said that if Brett Favre was the starting QB for the Philadelphia Eagles, they'd be undefeated right now." If you don't hear that portion of the interview, none of the rest of it makes sense, because Owens never mentioned Favre by name during the snippet of the interview that was aired on ESPN.

I also agree with Irvin, who questioned two things about McNabb from the interview. First, timing. Why bring it up now if not to get it into the spotlight? Then, Irvin fired back at McNabb's criticism of his teammates (Westbrook, perhaps) for being more concerned with their contracts than trying to put to get back to the Superbowl.

Irvin: Donovan, you have a $100 million contract. These guys have been playing well for quite a while. They are worried about being rewarded. Now, Donovan was playing poorly all season long. Let's be real here. He was playing poorly. I would like to have seen him or heard him say, "that I said, 'Guys, I am playing poorly, and I am going to do something to fix that.'" I know he's been hurt. That's what I would like to have heard him say.

I have to say that I have lost some respect for McNabb as a result of this interview.

Reed

Reaction score
jem88 said:
Historical precedent is likely responsible for any 'double standard' that exists. It's pretty obvious which race has been more discriminated against over the recent course of history.

Um actually I would have to say the jews over the whole course of history and recently have been the most discriminated against. 8 million were killed just 65 years ago, you can not forget that, can not. Also, they are having very hard times in the middle east today, not trying to be a **** by replyign to your comment, but im just being objective and stating straight facts, It is true that African Americans have been the most discriminated race in America in recent history, but you have to think on a global scale.

aznhalf

Reaction score
Did anybody else find it funny how long it took McNabb to think of a white WR other than Largent?

jem88

Reaction score
Reed said:
Um actually I would have to say the jews over the whole course of history and recently have been the most discriminated against. 8 million were killed just 65 years ago, you can not forget that, can not. Also, they are having very hard times in the middle east today, not trying to be a dick by replyign to your comment, but im just being objective and stating straight facts, It is true that African Americans have been the most discriminated race in America in recent history, but you have to think on a global scale.
Perhaps you should think on a global scale. How do you feel about what the Belgians did in the Congo? Or the Apartheid regime in South Africa? That's not to diminish the Holocaust, but we shouldn't be selective in our memory of global injustice. As for what's going on in the Middle East, that's a whole other discussion that would likely get both of us booted off the Cowboyzone forum. Finally, my initial comment was framed in the North American perspective, in response to someone mentioning the race double standards in America.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
I'll bet that some mother in Watts or Compton, returning from visiting her son's grave who was killed in a drive by shooting and turning the radio on and listening to this non-sense would like to have a talk with McBust.

And why is it that Black folks can pull out the race issue but when a white guy says something like, "The media would like to see a black athlete succeed." that is not allowed?

Hypocritical and absurd.

jem88

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
I'll bet that some mother in Watts or Compton, returning from visiting her son's grave who was killed in a drive by shooting and turning the radio on and listening to this non-sense would like to have a talk with McBust.

And why is it that Black folks can pull out the race issue but when a white guy says something like, "The media would like to see a black athlete succeed." that is not allowed?

Hypocritical and absurd.
I agree with you. What McNabb (reportedly) said was absurd. The same goes for what Limbaugh said. What I don't get is how some claim that there is a pattern of unjustified, habitual race-card playing by black athletes.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
jem88 said:
I agree with you. What McNabb (reportedly) said was absurd. The same goes for what Limbaugh said. What I don't get is how some claim that there is a pattern of unjustified, habitual race-card playing by black athletes.

The thing is that what Limbaugh said was that it was not racist. He was not even commenting on McNabb but on the media and the state of the media. As a matter of fact, what Limbaigh said was correct. The problem was that while there was no one who could dispute what he said, the only option for ESPN and other outlets was to twist what he said into something racist. Which he didn't.

What McNabb said WAS racist. He said if he was compared to other black Qbs he would be ok with it, so to speak, but with Favre, a white QB, that was a slap in the face. Limbaugh lost his job, will McSoup?

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
The thing is that what Limbaugh said was that it was not racist. He was not even commenting on McNabb but on the media and the state of the media. As a matter of fact, what Limbaigh said was correct. The problem was that while there was no one who could dispute what he said, the only option for ESPN and other outlets was to twist what he said into something racist. Which he didn't.

What McNabb said WAS racist. He said if he was compared to other black Qbs he would be ok with it, so to speak, but with Favre, a white QB, that was a slap in the face. Limbaugh lost his job, will McSoup?
This man makes sense.
Thanks CC.

jem88

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:

I think what Limbaugh said was idiotic, rather than racist. As for McNabb, he's lost any sympathy I once had for him (as a person, I still rate him as a player) if that's indeed what he said.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Apparently this isn't a hoax so my guess is that McNabb is implying that Favre is washed up, not that he's white...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Personally, I think McNabb is showing cracks...

His statements were racist in nature... no doubt... but he has let TO get into his head...

I have always admired his fortitude and hard work. He now has slipped into the quagmire of unhappy, idiot NFL millionaire players. I find it very hard to have any sympathy for players of this ilk.

jem88

Reaction score
trickblue said:
Personally, I think McNabb is showing cracks...

His statements were racist in nature... no doubt... but he has let TO get into his head...

I have always admired his fortitude and hard work. He now has slipped into the quagmire of unhappy, idiot NFL millionaire players. I find it very hard to have any sympathy for players of this ilk.
For me, the problem with McNabb is that at some point, he stopped being happy with just being himself. It may sound trivial, but when he did that idiotic moonwalk after scoring against us, I saw a guy trying way to hard to galvanize his team with theatrics; in a sense, trying to 'out-T.O.' T.O. Then after getting unjustly criticized by the guy from the NAACP (please correct if I've got the letters wrong), it seems like he's trying to fight fire with fire and in the end coming off like a disillusioned, jealous, and even racist, idiot.

Any sympathy I once had for the guy (and I used to have a quite bit despite his Campbell-soup eating, mouth-breathing ways) has dissolved pretty quickly.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
ELDudearino said:
Apparently this isn't a hoax so my guess is that McNabb is implying that Favre is washed up, not that he's white...
That's ridiculous.
He specifically said "black-on-black" crime and cited Vick, Brooks, Culpepper, and Leftwich.

C'mon man, don't act so blind.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
That's ridiculous.
He specifically said "black-on-black" crime and cited Vick, Brooks, Culpepper, and Leftwich.

C'mon man, don't act so blind.

"seing-on-blind" crime is heinous

jay cee

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
well, then both black athletes, AND the media, need to stop pulling the race card
The race card is too often played by caucasians also. Don't try and pretend it's just African-Americans.

jay cee

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
McFlabb screwed up by commenting at all. That was dumb to begin with- BUT he just might have a personal jones for Favre ( cannot really blame him- Favre has been over rated for several years and getting a lot of free passes on INT's and stupid plays that no other QB would get).
BUt it is true that Rush is probably laughing his cigar off right now.
He was right that McFlabb was getting preferential treatment partially due to his skin color.
But at the same time with all the race stuff regarding coaches its not suprising that race keeps popping up. Those just too sensitive to racial issues refuse to let it rest ever.
Where is the evidence of this conspiracy? Why did they pick McNabb to give this preferential treatment, and not McNair, or Culpepper?

Show me any article that gave McNabb credit that he did not deserve.

Are there any white QB's that you think get too much credit for their teams success?

If so, what do you think is the reason for them?

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
jay cee said:
Where is the evidence of this conspiracy? Why did they pick McNabb to give this preferential treatment, and not McNair, or Culpepper?

Show me any article that gave McNabb credit that he did not deserve.

Are there any white QB's that you think get too much credit for their teams success?

If so, what do you think is the reason for them?
Are there any white athletes that would ever say something as stupid as "white on white" crime?

If so, how would the world react?:cool:

I never understood that term. Like crime is okay so long as it is not comitted against someone of the same color as the perpetrator. :rolleyes:

jem88

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
Are there any white athletes that would ever say something as stupid as "white on white" crime?

If so, how would the world react?:cool:

I never understood that term. Like crime is okay so long as it is not comitted against someone of the same color as the perpetrator. :rolleyes:
No there's just clowns like John Rocker, who don't like immigrants. Should we say that he's just another example of an ignorant white athlete?