McShay: 'Dallas is obsessed' with drafting RB; trading up for Bijan Robinson 'wouldn't shock me'

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yea, because that’s worked so well the last decade plus. Zeke was a great use of a top 5 pick and extending him was just brilliant.

Hope we continue to follow that blueprint.
Zeke served his purpose his first 5 years. Ran him down to the ground, hence why his body got worn down. Not happy with being overpaid, but he did earn a big payday. Now, another game changer would be nice if he falls to the Cowboys.

Sydla

Reaction score
If Bijan Robinson gets taken by the 15th pick, the Cowboys might decide to trade up to try to get Jahmyr Gibbs. Those 2 are the only ones worthy of a 1st round pick, and they are the only ones who can seriously change the game positively for your Offense while putting a scare on opposing Defenses.

If the Cowboys don't trade up but decide to pass up on getting a RB with their 1st round pick due to Bijan and Jahmyr already being long gone (picked by other teams), I believe the Cowboys will address the RB position in the 3rd or 4th round.
Take option 2.

It's the height of silliness to blow through quality picks in the 2nd and/or 3rd rounds to go trade up for a TB. But with this franchise, I am always prepared to be stunned by their ridiculousness.

J-man

Reaction score
I agree with most of everything you said. I am not in any favor to move up for Bijan for any reason.

However, if they move up, simply sign Dalton Risner to start LG and A’Shawn Robinson to play 1T.

I feel every hole is filled on this team without splitting hairs
I sort of agree, those guys would be nice additions to the team this year. But I'd say LB would still be a big need this year and most of those other positions would all still be needs next year, some even more so.

As a GM, you have to look out beyond this year and see what you will probably need next year and the year after that. You simply can't just plug and play most rookies at many positions in the NFL. They need a year (or more) to get where you need them to be.
So IMHO, that's why adding a good WR, CB and/or a DE this year is smart, even when there is a good chance they may not get as much playing time as you'd like from your top draft picks in year one. At least not if all goes to plan with the guys you already have on the roster. But if for whatever reason they aren't as great as you hoped or they aren't here after this year, as many of them might not be, you already have their replacements in house and they're ready to contribute much more than most rookies.

Sydla

Reaction score
Bijan Robinson and Jahmyr Gibbs are game changers. We also have a hole at RB with Pollard coming off a broken leg with some ligament damage where he might not be close to 100%, plus Zeke is no longer here. All the Cowboys have is a bunch of career backups, so RB is obviously a big need in this draft. It's a shame some of you can't see that.
Running back is a need.

But what "we see" is that teams build running games without investing a ton into the running back position. So no, we don't need to use a first round pick on a TB to fix the running game. We certainly don't need to blow through a bunch of quality picks to go trade up for one. This is a very deep draft at TB. Be patient. There will be guys available in the 3rd, 4th and even 5th rounds that have the potential to make impacts as rookies.

Chasing a TB in the first round us just so stupid.

Sydla

Reaction score
If he gets past Washington, a 2024 2nd rounder could get them up to PIT’s pick at #17, maybe that and 2023 4th rounder to get up to GB at #15 if they’re concerned WAS might take him. I wouldn’t be against it.
Future picks have less value. If you want to go from 26 to say 15, your 2nd round pick this year likely has to go.

Trading up for a TB is one of the worst moves they can make on draft night.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Zeke served his purpose his first 5 years. Ran him down to the ground, hence why his body got worn down. Not happy with being overpaid, but he did earn a big payday. Now, another game changer would be nice if he falls to the Cowboys.
Yea, and it got us nowhere.

Sydla

Reaction score
There is a point where it's absolutely justified for a trade up for Bijan. If he's on the board at 18 its time to call the Steelers.
Nope.

I guess we will never learn our lessons here.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Running back is a need.

But what "we see" is that teams build running games without investing a ton into the running back position. So no, we don't need to use a first round pick on a TB to fix the running game. We certainly don't need to blow through a bunch of quality picks to go trade up for one. This is a very deep draft at TB. Be patient. There will be guys available in the 3rd, 4th and even 5th rounds that have the potential to make impacts as rookies.

Completely agree.

With that said. I’d still do it lol. I can’t help myself.

Just don’t give them a 2nd contract. 5 years and be done with them. Heck get 3 and trade them.

Sydla

Reaction score
You know very well what a game changer is. Zeke was a game changer his first 4-5 years. Emmitt was a game changer his first 8 years. SWEETNESS was a game changer. So was Barry. Etc, etc. You know what a game changer is.
And with Zeke doing what he was doing, we were still no closer to a SB run than we were say in 2014 when we had Murray as a TB.

I am not sure why we continue to ignore the evidence that shows time and time again, you do not have to blow top picks on TBs and spend a crap ton of money on TBs, to build a good running game. Invest in the OL.

Sydla

Reaction score
What "game" did Elliott change. He was a really good TB but he didn't change the trajectory of the franchise. We didn't turn into perennial NFCCG contenders, we made zero SBs, etc. The best teams in the Elliott era weren't much different than say the 2014 team with Murray, a 3rd round pick, as the TB.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Running back is a need.

I'm not for trading up for a RB. If 1 of the Top 2 fell to the Cowboys, it would be inexcusable to pass him up just to satisfy some fans about not wanting to use a late 1st round pick on a game changing RB.

Carson

Reaction score
I sort of agree, those guys would be nice additions to the team this year. But I'd say LB would still be a big need this year and most of those other positions would all still be needs next year, some even more so.

As a GM, you have to look out beyond this year and see what you will probably need next year and the year after that. You simply can't just plug and play most rookies at many positions in the NFL. They need a year (or more) to get where you need them to be.
So IMHO, that's why adding a good WR, CB and/or a DE this year is smart, even when there is a good chance they may not get as much playing time as you'd like from your top draft picks in year one. At least not if all goes to plan with the guys you already have on the roster. But if for whatever reason they aren't as great as you hoped or they aren't here after this year, as many of them might not be, you already have their replacements in house and they're ready to contribute much more than most rookies.
I’m not too down on Clark.

LVE signed for two years, Micah is Micah. Hoping to see some developing and growth from Jabril. Don’t forget about Devin Harper and Malik Jefferson as well. Harper will fill in the Luke Gifford role.

With receiver, it’s make or break for Simi this year. I believe Tolbert takes a step up this year as well.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I do think rb is addressed early on. All our rb are on one year deals. If bijan falls you scoop him and get 5 year deal. Pollard will be gone basically as you’re not resigning him long term to big contract.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm not for trading up for a RB. If 1 of the Top 2 fell to the Cowboys, it would be inexcusable to pass him up just to satisfy some fans about not wanting to use a late 1st round pick on a game changing RB.
Depends on who is on the board. I think it's perfectly excusable to pass on a TB in the first. Again, the league continues to prove over and over you don't have to throw top assets at a TB to build a quality running game. You know what's more important for an offense's success and a running game? The OL. That's more important than the TB. We have a gaping hole at LG if they plan on making Tyler Smith the LT. The center is not any great shakes himself.

If there is a legit OG at 26, yeah, I'd pass on Gibbs, for example, for that guy.

This concept of "game changing" TB is laughable. Elliott was a game changer apparently at his height. What did it get us? Nowhere. We still made the playoffs randomly. We still got bounced early when we did make the playoffs. We did no better than the 2014 team that had a 3rd round pick as their top running back.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
What "game" did Elliott change. He was a really good TB but he didn't change the trajectory of the franchise. We didn't turn into perennial NFCCG contenders, we made zero SBs, etc. The best teams in the Elliott era weren't much different than say the 2014 team with Murray, a 3rd round pick, as the TB.
Go back and look at his yearly games and stats his first 4 years. Zeke was an absolute stud and game changer. His Rookie year in 2016, there is no way the team ends up with a 13-3 record and a bye in the playoffs without Zeke. Anyone who says otherwise is flat out lying to themselves.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know.

Your first priority is to hit on the pick. (I think you overestimate the hit rate on late first round picks.) With Bijan you're assured a Pro Bowl level talent that will touch the ball more than anyone on your offence outside of the QB and C and can give you explosive plays both in the run game and in the pass game.

I don't know if Bijan would be my first choice but I could certainly talk myself into taking him. He's the most explosive offensive player in the draft. We can use that.
At 26, right?