McShay: 'Dallas is obsessed' with drafting RB; trading up for Bijan Robinson 'wouldn't shock me'

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I wouldn’t hate it if they drafted Robinson if he was still there at 26.

What I would hate is if the Cowboys gave up valuable draft capital to trade up for him - or any running back.
My thoughts exactly. I'm not at all against using a late 1st on a RB, especially one that grades out as high as Robinson. I don't see the value in trading up for him unless the Cowboys just feel that this draft class is among the worst in the last decade and the odds of hitting on a 3rd round pick is minimal.

This class seems to have too much depth at positions of need like RB, TE, etc for the boys to trade up in the 1st.

Sydla

Reaction score
No. This isn't a passing league. It's a running and passing league. Look at the run to pass ratios. The Cowboys are an exception to the rule anyway. The fundamentals of the game are still the same. When you say that great RBs aren't still a factor you don't look at the results. You are parroting what you heard others say.
The Cowboys are the exception to the rule? LOL. They haven't gotten past the 2nd round in the playoffs in nearly 30 years. You can only claim exception to the rule if that exception actually leads to success, of which we don't. These are the same arguments you guys made back in 2016 when we had to take Elliott. And what happened? The game changing TB didn't change the trajectory of the franchise at all. They didn't get beyond where we went with Murray, a 3rd round pick, at TB.

And the results show you don't need to invest a ton into the RB position to get a good running game. The results show you can build a dominant run game without spending a ton of assets on TBs. Some of these elite TBs you guys talk about? They've had middling impact on the overall success of the franchise. Spend your top resources on positions that really matter - OL - for example. Backfill the TB position with FA and mid-round picks.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Bijan Robinson and Jahmyr Gibbs are game changers. We also have a hole at RB with Pollard coming off a broken leg with some ligament damage where he might not be close to 100%, plus Zeke is no longer here. All the Cowboys have is a bunch of career backups, so RB is obviously a big need in this draft. It's a shame some of you can't see that.
Agree with this completely AC. Honestly the coach said he wants a running game first O. In my book that helps Dak a ton. To me the best complete team we had was 2014 when we went Romo friendly, ran the ball with Murray and just took teams apart. Helps the D too. To me that is how you get back to a SB...at least with this team and the players we have. I don't want to move up but if we got RB early rounds....doesn't bother me.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My thoughts exactly. I'm not at all against using a late 1st on a RB, especially one that grades out as high as Robinson. I don't see the value in trading up for him unless the Cowboys just feel that this draft class is among the worst in the last decade and the odds of hitting on a 3rd round pick is minimal.

This class seems to have too much depth at positions of need like RB, TE, etc for the boys to trade up in the 1st.
:hammer:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
One would hope

But when you get to be the most valuable franchise in sports without accomplishing anything in 30 years, it's easy to wonder where the priorities are
They have done basically nothing outside of the draft and fans are still buying the tickets

Jumbo075

Reaction score
I’ve got no problem with trading up for Bijan Robinson if it cost a 4th round pick or less.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The man to listen to is Mel Kiper. He nailed the pick last year and is the only one who mocked Tyson Smith to us. Rumor is that he gets fed info from Mort who is BFF with Jerry. The latest Mel only mock draft has us taking Michael Mayer. But that was 4/11 and I think he releases one more.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Plenty of RBs in this draft. No need to burn draft capitol on Bijan who at most would be sharing the position.

Jason 82 Witten

Reaction score
The man to listen to is Mel Kiper. He nailed the pick last year and is the only one who mocked Tyson Smith to us. Rumor is that he gets fed info from Mort who is BFF with Jerry. The latest Mel only mock draft has us taking Michael Mayer. But that was 4/11 and I think he releases one more.
I listen to Mike Fisher

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
No. This isn't a passing league. It's a running and passing league. Look at the run to pass ratios. The Cowboys are an exception to the rule anyway. The fundamentals of the game are still the same. When you say that great RBs aren't still a factor you don't look at the results. You are parroting what you heard others say.
Running game is still a factor, yes. But A great running back doesn’t move a team’s running influence a whole lot. The Oline has much more impact on that. Adrian Peterson is not all pro behind a bad offense line. Conversely, Tony Pollard behind Dallas’ line will likely equal or even out-influence Bijan wherever he goes.

The difference between an average DT (Osa) and a great DT (Donald) is enormous on how it impacts the team. The difference between an average guard (Williams) and a great guard (Martin) is enormous on how it impacts the team. The difference between an average RB and Bijan is not going to be a big difference to the team as a whole. Part of it is because the talent gap is smaller than at other positions, and part of it because the scheme, quarterback, and Oline impact the run game more than the actual RB.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You know very well what a game changer is. Zeke was a game changer his first 4-5 years. Emmitt was a game changer his first 8 years. SWEETNESS was a game changer. So was Barry. Etc, etc. You know what a game changer is.
no game changers at RB. Barkley was supposed to be a game changer. how long did it take Giants to reach post season? and the times have changed. back then running game was key. these days, running games by committee. as mentioned, top 3 rushing RBs didn't make the playoffs.

cowboys5xsbs

Reaction score
no game changers at RB. Barkley was supposed to be a game changer. how long did it take Giants to reach post season? and the times have changed. back then running game was key. these days, running games by committee. as mentioned, top 3 rushing RBs didn't make the playoffs.
The NFL is a cycle as teams go small to try and cover everything the counter will be going back to smash mouth football to punish that. It's better to be ahead of the cycle than always chasing it.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Robinson is probably at least in the top 5 as far as overall best player in this draft. He's the best RB in this class by a wide margin. And he's a super high character prospect as well. We need a new bell cow running back. He is also very good at catching the ball and would really help out in the passing game coming out of the back field and also the slot too. I'd absolutely love to draft this kid.

But I wouldn't trade up for him.
As much as he would be a huge asset for us, we'd suffer else where for it. We have too many needs to lose the picks it would take to go get him. Missing out on an opportunity to draft a top tier OG, LB, CB, WR, DE or DT for the best RB, when there are so many other very capable RB's in this class, isn't a great idea.
Maybe.
At least right now that's the pre-NFL career feeling.

We'll know the real answer to that in a year or two.
I like his chances, however.....

There is a VERY long list of 1st RB running backs considered cant misses that....missed.

Gaede

Reaction score
I am ok with trading a third to move up for a player we think is a can't miss prospect. But I'm a little skeptical of using a second, especially considering how weak the top talent is in this draft.

That said, I am also not a big fan of Mayer, so I would almost rather see us move up and get a great prospect than stay put and grab him. I'm just not sold that he's athletic enough.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
If Robinson is there at 26 you take him because he is a top 5 player in this draft. You don’t take at a top 50 guard at 26.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Pollard's injury does add some urgency.
But no thanks to trading up

I wonder where Dallas has him on their big board?
I suspect he for sure is one of the 18-20 or so that has a 1st round grade
But is it 7th or 20th?