Meet the craziest athlete in NFL history (Read Post 22 Before Posting)

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
This match couldn't have ended well, right? A fight between one of the tallest professional athletes at the time and one of the greatest boxers ever known sounds great on paper, but it would have been a disaster. This almost-fight was going to happen after Ali returned from his three-year exile and needed some cash, but it never occurred because during a press conference for the BOOKED MATCH that was set to take place on July 26, 1971, at the Houston Astrodome, Ali answered ever question with the word, "Timbeeeeer." After a few minutes of this, Chamberlain left the press conference, spoke with his lawyers, and called the match off.

Same place this came from you can see the pic measuring his arm span, tip to tip, at 92 inches....

And other odd facts......

https://www.ranker.com/list/weird-wilt-chamberlain-stories/jacob-shelton

Of course he never played in the NFL like Danny Noonan, who by his second season he was considered the Cowboys strongest player, being able to bench press 505 pounds. Rumors circulated at that time Noonan, a workout nut, could lift the universal gym.

I skipped school to watch the draft the year we drafted Noonan. I was so psyched about the pick. As a kid I thought these draft prognosticators couldn’t be wrong lol. Noonan was one of the first Cowboys’ draft picks to shatter that delusion.

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
This match couldn't have ended well, right? A fight between one of the tallest professional athletes at the time and one of the greatest boxers ever known sounds great on paper, but it would have been a disaster. This almost-fight was going to happen after Ali returned from his three-year exile and needed some cash, but it never occurred because during a press conference for the BOOKED MATCH that was set to take place on July 26, 1971, at the Houston Astrodome, Ali answered ever question with the word, "Timbeeeeer." After a few minutes of this, Chamberlain left the press conference, spoke with his lawyers, and called the match off.

Same place this came from you can see the pic measuring his arm span, tip to tip, at 92 inches....

And other odd facts......

https://www.ranker.com/list/weird-wilt-chamberlain-stories/jacob-shelton

Of course he never played in the NFL like Danny Noonan, who by his second season he was considered the Cowboys strongest player, being able to bench press 505 pounds. Rumors circulated at that time Noonan, a workout nut, could lift the universal gym.

lol I loved Ali

Kaiser

Reaction score
Herschel is an all-time great athlete. He had a screen pass for a touchdown his first game as a Cowboy, I believe we were playing LT’s Giants, that after watching had me, as a stupid, optimistic child, proclaiming Walker the “greatest player ever” lol. I still think Bo is probably the greatest athlete I’ve seen in an NFL uniform though. The combination of size, speed, agility, and strength he brought to the table was absolutely other worldly. Walker is certainly in that conversation though.

I know a guy that was on the Auburn baseball team with Bo who says every completely insane story you ever heard about Bo Jackson.... is completely true. He said in one of the first days of practice he threw a strike to home from the CF wall, flat footed. He said everyone stood around for a few seconds like they had seen a UFO and were trying to make sense of it.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I skipped school to watch the draft the year we drafted Noonan. I was so psyched about the pick. As a kid I thought these draft prognosticators couldn’t be wrong lol. Noonan was one of the first Cowboys’ draft picks to shatter that delusion.
I was pumped about Noonan too. I thought he was going to be the next great DT after Lilly and White.

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
I know a guy that was on the Auburn baseball team with Bo who says every completely insane story you ever heard about Bo Jackson.... is completely true. He said in one of the first days of practice he threw a strike to home from the CF wall, flat footed. He said everyone stood around for a few seconds like they had seen a UFO and were trying to make sense of it.

He was a human being with jaw dropping athleticism. The hip injury and subsequent joint degeneration was such a tragedy.

Barry Sanders used to evoke similar reactions in me. Barry didn’t have the ultimate mix of athleticism Bo had when you account for size, speed, and power BUT that dude’s agility was off the charts and coupled with his speed and quickness.......it was almost a religious experience watching him break off some of the runs he did lol.

Kaiser

Reaction score
He was a human being with jaw dropping athleticism. The hip injury and subsequent joint degeneration was such a tragedy.

Barry Sanders used to evoke similar reactions in me. Barry didn’t have the ultimate mix of athleticism Bo had when you account for size, speed, and power BUT that dude’s agility was off the charts and coupled with his speed and quickness.......it was almost a religious experience watching him break off some of the runs he did lol.

I'll never forget that one game that Bo dominated (against Seattle I believe) where the announcer said "This is like watching a man play against boys".

Kaiser

Reaction score
I was pumped about Noonan too. I thought he was going to be the next great DT after Lilly and White.

A friend of mine in the Army was roommates with Noonan and another DL draft pick named Jim Skow. He said Noonan was a good guy but dumb as you can get. He also said he was almost entirely a creation of steroids but most NFL linemen were in that era.

rags747

Reaction score
I'm not going to dispute him.

He is one of the all time greatest athletes.

He has earned the right to make crazy claims about his workouts.

He outweighed Ron Brown by 45 pounds and Ron Brown was later an Olympic Gold Metal winner in track.

I would like to see a footrace between 50 something Herschel Walker and Zeke...
I would like to see a 40 or 100 yard dash between TO and Walker.

cern

Reaction score
Very very cool, ty for your service!

I imagine that Thresher was on everyone’s mind at the time? B all’s of steal buddy, thx!
The result of the thresher sinking was an entirely new class of subs, far safer than the thresher class. All systems were redundant, the boats were much quieter, but not quite as fast. The scorpion was an older model as well. We never lost another after the sturgeon class boats.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

I know several people who know Bo Jackson. My son even got to hang out with him. He is very eccentric now. But all the people who know him vouch for the mythical figure named Bo.

He was that much a freak of nature.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I think so. I think Cowboy fans felt almost like the Cowboys were destined to always have a DT in the Lilly/White mold.
Noonan in the 1st...CB Ron Francis in the 2nd.
i thought we were super bowl bound.
almost that entire draft class made the roster.
WR Kelvin Martin and OL Kevin Gogan turned out to be the best.
Francis to me was more of a bust.
Noonan was starting to play well by the end of '88 but wasn't as dominant as i thought he'd be...expectations were thru the roof.