Mel Kiper Mock Draft

cheyennes

Reaction score
We can take OL in the thirth comp and fifth,.

Tyron and Collins will play next season, thats the question

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yeah Brady's teammates ragged him about GQ and Brady plays it off right with humor. Does Tom Brady look like some CheeseD&^k like Fabio? Trevor Lawrence does....... Mahomes has a great arm and comes off real person, not trying to be pretty

If I was an opposing team I would play this everytime Trevor Lawrence started game.

:laugh:funny

But man, you are so dead wrong on all fronts on Lawrence.
Because it seems to be solely based on his long blond hair, it comes off as just silly, shallow, and clueless.

The guy is not AT ALL a prima donna.
He's the last person that needed a pro day. Urban Meyer has known him for years and is for sure taking him.
Yet, even with surgery coming up on his non throwing shoulder, he moved his pro day up a full month out of respect for all the coaches that wanted to be there. Almost nobody would do anything remotely close to that if they were already locked in at #1.

Rayman70

Reaction score
slater, darrisaw,sewell or BARMORE will be the pick at 10. ALL plug and play starters.Our oline is a much bigger question mark than many wanna believe.

timb2

Reaction score
Ww2
:laugh:funny

But man, you are so dead wrong on all fronts on Lawrence.
Because it seems to be solely based on his long blond hair, it comes off as just silly, shallow, and clueless.

The guy is not AT ALL a prima donna.
He's the last person that needed a pro day. Urban Meyer has known him for years and is for sure taking him.
Yet, even with surgery coming up on his non throwing shoulder, he moved his pro day up a full month out of respect for all the coaches that wanted to be there. Almost nobody would do anything remotely close to that if they were already locked in at #1.
He is going #1 but this he is the next Joe Montana,Tom Brady,Roger Staubach rolled into to one QB is BS. He right now who he looks like to me is Blaine Gabbert maybe Jim Everett. Urban Meyer is a good coach with a good offense. So was Steve Spurrier & Chip Kelly when they enter the NFL. How did they do?. This is Jacksonville and several things can happen. Right now Jaguars have a lot of holes. By the time they think they got a good team,free agency will rob them of key players.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Just look at the games played, we know Tyron hasn't played a full season in years, Martin has had injuries issues the last 2 and Collins is coming off of hip surgery. If one of these players misses time, our divisional opponents will have a big advantage. To combat their strengths, you need to keep the OL strong.

Even if Smith and Collins come back, and both had surgery, as noted Martin is beginning to show signs of wear and tear. Biadasz had an acl tear he has to recover from. Williams, by some accounts is doing better, but I don't see that if he's going to develop into a top guard he wouldn't have done it by now, though his transition from college tackle (mostly) to guard may still be ongoing. I still have hopes for McGovern, but that's an unknown also. And Looney is just Looney, pretty good but nothing special.

Main thing is you have to keep the pipeline going...

DFWJC

Reaction score
Ww2

He is going #1 but this he is the next Joe Montana,Tom Brady,Roger Staubach rolled into to one QB is BS. He right now who he looks like to me is Blaine Gabbert maybe Jim Everett. Urban Meyer is a good coach with a good offense. So was Steve Spurrier & Chip Kelly when they enter the NFL. How did they do?. This is Jacksonville and several things can happen. Right now Jaguars have a lot of holes. By the time they think they got a good team,free agency will rob them of key players.
Nobody can say with a straight face if someone will be Brady or Montana.....NONE of the NFL GMs knew that before they were drafted. Not even close.
The odds are way against it for anyone to be those guys.

And I agree on the Jacksonville franchise being dicey and a possible disadvantage.

But I totally disagree on assessing him as the same level of a prospect as Everett or Gabbert.
Not even remotely.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Nobody can say with a straight face if someone will be Brady or Montana.....NONE of the NFL GMs knew that before they were drafted. Not even close.
The odds are way against it for anyone to be those guys.

And I agree on the Jacksonville franchise being dicey and a possible disadvantage.

But I totally disagree on assessing him as the same level of a prospect as Everett or Gabbert.
Not even remotely.

Walter Football's draft profile on Lawrence;

Strengths:
  • Winner; carried his team to championships
  • Tremendous skill set
  • Accurate passer
  • Powerful arm
  • Can make all the throws
  • Can fire fastballs into tight windows
  • Fabulous and rare deep-ball accuracy
  • Timing
  • Anticipates
  • Deadly as a pocket passer when given time
  • Pocket presence; doesn't panic when first read is covered
  • Willing to push the ball downfield
  • Precision thrower
  • Field vision
  • Throws into tight windows
  • Stands tall; steps into hits
  • Ability to work through progressions
  • Hits receivers on the run
  • Throws receivers open
  • Leads receivers for more yardage after the catch
  • Able to loft in touch passes
  • Throws a very catchable ball
  • Quick release; quality mechanics
  • Good decision-making
  • Avoids turnovers
  • Athleticism
  • Mobility
  • Ability to extend plays
  • Can hurt defenses on the ground
  • Speed takes defenses by surprise
  • Can throw off platform
  • Dangerous passer on the run
  • Good fit in any pro offense
  • Experienced
  • Has had success against good competition
  • Intelligent
  • Humble
  • Hard working
  • Upside
  • Lots of experience against top competition
  • Experience under pressure
  • Experience carrying a team, being the face of a program
  • Weaknesses:
  • Can lock onto his primary read
  • Long-limbed frame could be a negative in the pocket in the NFL

DFWJC

Reaction score
Gabbert was the 10th pick in the 2011 draft and I recall many of us thinking the Jags reached a little bit to get him.
To his credit, he has been in the NFL for 10 years, so this isn't a guy long out of the league. He's just not a starter.

Lawrence is a complete and totally different level---in both tangibles and intangibles.

Ring Leader

Reaction score
:laugh:
Guess we'll see.

At least now I understand your prejudices.
Like that Ohio State fan in another thread, you seem to think Lawrence will bust because he has long blond hair.
Now THAT's a deeeep scouting assessment!
:lmao:
Has to be the shallowest, most superficial, prejudiced, non-football related account of a player I have ever seen in this forum. Based on literally nothing of substance.

Toughness and mental makeup are two of Lawrence's top "intangible" qualities by ALL accounts of anyone that has played with or coached him.

It's fine if you don't like him as a player or even that he's a Christian or whatever.....but his hair?

agree to disagree

About as silly as our "not too long ago" QB that got repeatedly crucified in this forum for wearing his cap backwards?

DFWJC

Reaction score
About as silly as our "not too long ago" QB that got repeatedly crucified in this forum for wearing his cap backwards?
:laugh:Probably. That WAS really silly
But if he would've won a Super Bowl, nobody would've cared about that hat.

People are pre-judging a guy in Lawrence--who has an epic winner his whole life--- based on the length of his hair.
It's mind-bogglingly dumb.
Almost seems like it's a hoax or make-believe it's so stupid. Hate on the guy if they want, but please, choose something real.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Slater is an elite prospect who can play OG and OT.
He is not at all a bad pick and you plug him in at LG and possibly have the best OL in football next year.
In a year or 3 he has to move outside and replace Tyron Smith and you don't lose much there.

The best OL in football with these weapons would be very KC like.

But you gotta fix that defense with draft and any FA money you have.
Defense blows

Jfconrow

Reaction score
Ok. Slater is a great pick and I love the way he plays with violence. I’d be happy with Slater, but Kippers draft is horrible, there is no way Dallas would pass on TE Pitts

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Defense blows
Good news is they have so many defensive free agents that even if they were good they'd have to pay major attention to it.
Pretty much all your free agency dollars aside from QB is going to go to defense.
And you either resign a lot of guys on defense who've been very mediocre to below that or you spend all your draft capital there.
Bad news is they need to figure this out real quick if they are going to chase a title this year.

They are going to have to make a lot of non-sexy moves to fix this defense and of course figure out the QB.
All while not cheating themselves out of a good draft by reaching for needs every round.

A very important off-season in the storied history of the Dallas Cowboys imho.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Ok. Slater is a great pick and I love the way he plays with violence. I’d be happy with Slater, but Kippers draft is horrible, there is no way Dallas would pass on TE Pitts
A lot of teams would and likely do pass on Pitts.
He's an offensive weapon in a draft that has pretty much weaksauce in a lot of places but has great offensive weapons.

I think Giants at 12 is his perfect landing spot. He is everything Jason Garrett thought Gavin Escobar was. And Jason has been wanting to run that two TE base set since he saw the Pats do it with Gronk and Hernandez.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Good news is they have so many defensive free agents that even if they were good they'd have to pay major attention to it.
Pretty much all your free agency dollars aside from QB is going to go to defense.
And you either resign a lot of guys on defense who've been very mediocre to below that or you spend all your draft capital there.
Bad news is they need to figure this out real quick if they are going to chase a title this year.

They are going to have to make a lot of non-sexy moves to fix this defense and of course figure out the QB.
All while not cheating themselves out of a good draft by reaching for needs every round.

A very important off-season in the storied history of the Dallas Cowboys imho.

Don't see a title chase this year, the defense was sooooo bad to climb back up to even top-15 level will require lots of draft talent/free agents, and there's not enough high draft picks to stock up, and little money for free agents, unless they decide to let Dak walk (doubtful) and pay Dalton or some other average qb a small salary. Even if they let Dak walk, you aren't winning a title with Dalton (if he stays), and somebody like Rodgers will require way too much cap space.

The offense, if Smith and Collins and Biadasz all recover great from surgery, Williams continues to improve and Martin recovers to top form, will be very very good, imho.

The offense will win games, but as we saw in this last SB, as well as the Pats' win over the Rams SB, great defense can and still does win SBs.

Without a top-15 defense we're probably looking at best the same old same old division title and one playoff win.

Next year with more draftees the defense could be pretty good, but then you have to worry about Smith's age, injuries. Cowboys have a ton of free agents after 2022, so if you're going to strive for a title, then you'll have to hope and pray you can do it then, because you are extremely unlikely to keep all of the 2022 free agents.

But you're 100% right, a very important off-season...

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
We can take OL in the thirth comp and fifth,.

Tyron and Collins will play next season, thats the question
I make my sexiest mocks when I go OT in r3 or r4 for sure but the fact we don't know about Tyron or La'el and the level of play we saw when they were out is why Slater jumps other options as a forced non-defender for me.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I'm good with taking Slater at 10. If you can even trade back a few picks and still get him I'm really all for that. Can trade back into the 1st and get some help for the defense.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Don't see a title chase this year, the defense was sooooo bad to climb back up to even top-15 level will require lots of draft talent/free agents, and there's not enough high draft picks to stock up, and little money for free agents, unless they decide to let Dak walk (doubtful) and pay Dalton or some other average qb a small salary. Even if they let Dak walk, you aren't winning a title with Dalton (if he stays), and somebody like Rodgers will require way too much cap space.

The offense, if Smith and Collins and Biadasz all recover great from surgery, Williams continues to improve and Martin recovers to top form, will be very very good, imho.

The offense will win games, but as we saw in this last SB, as well as the Pats' win over the Rams SB, great defense can and still does win SBs.

Without a top-15 defense we're probably looking at best the same old same old division title and one playoff win.

Next year with more draftees the defense could be pretty good, but then you have to worry about Smith's age, injuries. Cowboys have a ton of free agents after 2022, so if you're going to strive for a title, then you'll have to hope and pray you can do it then, because you are extremely unlikely to keep all of the 2022 free agents.

But you're 100% right, a very important off-season...
The Cowboys were a top 16 scoring defense each of the 5 years prior to 2020. 11,6,13,5,16
When I say the Nolan defense failed I mean tee-totaled.
I think they can climb out of the abyss back to 15-16 with proper moves.

Realistically they were a 32nd type defense for about 11 weeks then stopped playing Nolan's scheme and came up to 28 by season's end.
They need to get better and get smarter in a hurry but they have the players on the roster who've been a top 15 defense.

To open the year they lost games early but only to really good teams. The only losses the first 5 weeks were to teams who won 10 or more games.
The offense was playing at an elite level minus lots of parts.

All in all I am a homer but I believe.
At least until I see the off-season moves then I may wanna bang my head against a wall.

Proof

Reaction score
Walter Football's draft profile on Lawrence;

Strengths:
  • Winner; carried his team to championships
  • Tremendous skill set
  • Accurate passer
  • Powerful arm
  • Can make all the throws
  • Can fire fastballs into tight windows
  • Fabulous and rare deep-ball accuracy
  • Timing
  • Anticipates
  • Deadly as a pocket passer when given time
  • Pocket presence; doesn't panic when first read is covered
  • Willing to push the ball downfield
  • Precision thrower
  • Field vision
  • Throws into tight windows
  • Stands tall; steps into hits
  • Ability to work through progressions
  • Hits receivers on the run
  • Throws receivers open
  • Leads receivers for more yardage after the catch
  • Able to loft in touch passes
  • Throws a very catchable ball
  • Quick release; quality mechanics
  • Good decision-making
  • Avoids turnovers
  • Athleticism
  • Mobility
  • Ability to extend plays
  • Can hurt defenses on the ground
  • Speed takes defenses by surprise
  • Can throw off platform
  • Dangerous passer on the run
  • Good fit in any pro offense
  • Experienced
  • Has had success against good competition
  • Intelligent
  • Humble
  • Hard working
  • Upside
  • Lots of experience against top competition
  • Experience under pressure
  • Experience carrying a team, being the face of a program
  • Weaknesses:
  • Can lock onto his primary read
  • Long-limbed frame could be a negative in the pocket in the NFL

cons: long hair.

checkmate

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I think Lawrence, Chase, Sewell, Wilson, and Pitts are the top 5 prospects in this draft. Anyone of them available at 10 and that’s the pick.