Mel Kiper's Initial First-Round Projection

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1340878 said:
Moss had some strange disease that caused him to lose a lot of weight.

marriage?

http://img220.*************/img220/4397/bundyaq5.jpg

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
theogt;1340878 said:
Moss had some strange disease that caused him to lose a lot of weight. He was apparently depressed, but they got rid of the infection and he regained his size and strength. He was once a major prospect but a few fluke occurrences hindered his development and playing time. The guy has everything you'd want physically in a 3-4 OLB. He has great upside, but it'll take some developmental time to reach his full potential (as with most players).

if dallas took another lb in the first rd i would be mad. i doubt the team slows the progress of carpenter just to move him inside. not to mention they still have ellis. i would like to know if ellis can actually play the middle. especially in blitzing situations

Big Dakota

Reaction score
5mics;1339979 said:
Bleeech.....I'd rather give up our 1st rounder for Lovie Smith if that's the case.....

If you think your gonna get griffin at #54 you don't know anything about this NFL draft class.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
bbgun;1341690 said:
marriage?

http://img220.*************/img220/4397/bundyaq5.jpg
I don't know about anyone else, but it had the opposite effect on me.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
LatinMind;1341693 said:
if dallas took another lb in the first rd i would be mad. i doubt the team slows the progress of carpenter just to move him inside. not to mention they still have ellis. i would like to know if ellis can actually play the middle. especially in blitzing situations
Seriously, do you just make this up as you go?

mewing1

Reaction score
Dallas should actually address NEEDS in the first round, and we don't NEED a WR. What we do NEED is:

1) A quality coverage Safety - this would help keep Roy from being isolated in deep coverage, where he's average at best (and gives up big, devastating plays); it'd also get him back in the box, where he's the best. I know we drafted Watkins last year for this very reason, but he didn't have a great year and there are more quality safeties in the draft now than in '06. Actually, a couple of them could even make it at CB, if our new head coach - whoever that is - wants to make Anthony Henry our FS. So, I think Michael Griffin, Reggie Nelson, or Eric Weddle (in that order, based on who's available) would be good 1st round picks. I'd include Landry on that list, but he'll be long gone by pick 22.

2) Well-rounded Offensive Linemen - our line this year struggled both pass and run-blocking, although we did get some good redzone TDs w/Barber. The switch to Romo, I think, disguised some of our pass-blocking weaknesses due to his great mobility. So, while they're not as sexy as high-profile skill players, picking Justin Blalock, Ben Grubbs (at Guard, in that order), or Levi Brown (at Tackle) would be wise. Of course, Joe Thomas would be great, but there's no chance he'll still be available. We need a Guard most of all, I think, since Rivera's career is coming to an end. Joe Staley, an OT prospect, could play Guard due to his speed, but he's not a first-rounder (regardless of position, he needs to put on a/b 15-20 lbs).

Of course, there's a good chance that one (or more) of these players will be left for us in the second round, so of course that should factor into our decision. But my point is that 1 of these 2 NEEDS should be addressed with our highest pick. Spending it on a WR - when we already have 3 of the best passing-game targets in the game (TO, Glenn, and Witten) AND good depth at the position - is just silly. Not to mention, it was our DEFENSE - the secondary in particular - that collapsed at the end of last season, not our offense.

Before I close, Meachem will be a great pro WR. He has both size and speed; he works hard (unlike Mike Williams, who many wrongly compare him to - Meachem is much faster); he runs good routes; and he is a great run-after-the-catch guy. He tooled Cal's Daymeion Hughes the first game of this season, and he consistently put up big numbers in the best defensive conference in college football this year. I think he's arguably the 3rd or 4th overall WR in the draft, with Jarrett and Johnson comfortably ranked ahead of him. If we went with a WR - which we shouldn't - he'd be a great pick, unless either DJ or CJ were available (and they won't be).

Natedawg44

Reaction score
mewing1;1344740 said:
Dallas should actually address NEEDS in the first round, and we don't NEED a WR. What we do NEED is:

1) A quality coverage Safety - this would help keep Roy from being isolated in deep coverage, where he's average at best (and gives up big, devastating plays); it'd also get him back in the box, where he's the best. I know we drafted Watkins last year for this very reason, but he didn't have a great year and there are more quality safeties in the draft now than in '06. Actually, a couple of them could even make it at CB, if our new head coach - whoever that is - wants to make Anthony Henry our FS. So, I think Michael Griffin, Reggie Nelson, or Eric Weddle (in that order, based on who's available) would be good 1st round picks. I'd include Landry on that list, but he'll be long gone by pick 22.

2) Well-rounded Offensive Linemen - our line this year struggled both pass and run-blocking, although we did get some good redzone TDs w/Barber. The switch to Romo, I think, disguised some of our pass-blocking weaknesses due to his great mobility. So, while they're not as sexy as high-profile skill players, picking Justin Blalock, Ben Grubbs (at Guard, in that order), or Levi Brown (at Tackle) would be wise. Of course, Joe Thomas would be great, but there's no chance he'll still be available. We need a Guard most of all, I think, since Rivera's career is coming to an end. Joe Staley, an OT prospect, could play Guard due to his speed, but he's not a first-rounder (regardless of position, he needs to put on a/b 15-20 lbs).

Of course, there's a good chance that one (or more) of these players will be left for us in the second round, so of course that should factor into our decision. But my point is that 1 of these 2 NEEDS should be addressed with our highest pick. Spending it on a WR - when we already have 3 of the best passing-game targets in the game (TO, Glenn, and Witten) AND good depth at the position - is just silly. Not to mention, it was our DEFENSE - the secondary in particular - that collapsed at the end of last season, not our offense.

Before I close, Meachem will be a great pro WR. He has both size and speed; he works hard (unlike Mike Williams, who many wrongly compare him to - Meachem is much faster); he runs good routes; and he is a great run-after-the-catch guy. He tooled Cal's Daymeion Hughes the first game of this season, and he consistently put up big numbers in the best defensive conference in college football this year. I think he's arguably the 3rd or 4th overall WR in the draft, with Jarrett and Johnson comfortably ranked ahead of him. If we went with a WR - which we shouldn't - he'd be a great pick, unless either DJ or CJ were available (and they won't be).

I disagree with this. I do not want us to draft for need. BPA

Your last paragraph I agree the previous comparisons of Robert Meachem to Mike Williams aren't even in the same ballpark. Williams was forty pounds heavier and much slower. Jarrett is the one that should be compared to Williams with his questionable speed and big size and ability to make the spectacular catch in college against smaller DBs. If anything he is the most likely to end up like Mike Williams. I have Robert Meachem as the 2nd best WR in the draft this year.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
didnt alvin harper go to Tennessee? I cant remember...if so, then maybe with Norv being our coach.....Meachem will be our new Harper....UGH

T-New41

Shut 'em Down
Reaction score
I would personally rather have Bowe than Meachem. I think both will be good though.