Mel Kiper's Initial First-Round Projection

Reaction score
dmq;1339926 said:
MOCK DRAFT: Mel Kiper's Initial First-Round Projection | Jan. 25

This initial projection is based on what I've identified as key need areas for each team.

There are 16 underclassmen among my projections for the first 32 picks of the 2007 NFL draft, including two of the top three. LSU junior quarterback JaMarcuss Russell gets the nod as the first overall pick, and North Carolina State defensive tackle Tank Tyler rounds out my first-round projections as the No. 32 overall selection to Indianapolis.

1. Oakland Raiders: *JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU
2. Detroit Lions: Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin
3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: *Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech
4. Cleveland Browns: Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame
5. Arizona Cardinals: *Jamaal Anderson, DE, Arkansas
6. Washington Commanders: *Alan Branch, DT, Michigan
7. Minnesota Vikings: Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson
8. Houston Texans: *Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma
9. Miami Dolphins: *Ted Ginn, Jr., WR, Ohio St.
10. Atlanta Falcons: LaRon Landry, S, LSU
11. San Francisco 49ers: *Reggie Nelson, DB, Florida
12. Buffalo Bills: Leon Hall, CB, Michigan
13. St. Louis Rams: *Charles Johnson, DE, Georgia
14. Carolina Panthers: Levi Brown, OT, Penn St.
15. Pittsburgh Steelers: *Jarvis Moss, DE, Florida
16. Green Bay Packers: *Marshawn Lynch, RB, California
17. Jacksonville Jaguars: *Sidney Rice, WR, South Carolina
18. Cincinnati Bengals: Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville
19. Tennessee Titans: *Dwayne Jarrett, WR, USC
20. New York Giants: *Lawrence Timmons, LB, Florida St.
21. Denver Broncos: Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska
22. Dallas Cowboys: *Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee
23. Kansas City Chiefs: Tony Ugoh, OT, Arkansas
24. New England Patriots (from Seattle): *Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh
25. New York Jets: Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU
26. Philadelphia Eagles: Aaron Ross, CB, Texas
27. New Orleans Saints: Daymeion Hughes, CB, California
28. New England Patriots: *Anthony Gonzalez, WR, Ohio St.
29. Baltimore Ravens: Anthony Spencer, DE, Purdue
30. San Diego Chargers: Patrick Willis, LB, Mississippi
31. Chicago Bears: *Greg Olsen, TE, Miami (Fla)
32. Indianapolis Colts: Tank Tyler, DT, NC St.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/insi..._mel&id=2742255

Quinn wont drop to 4. No way QB guru John Gruden will let that happen.

If Dallas takes Meachem , I'll shart myself. Bowe is Better from LSU..

I wish Dallas would take another edge rusher and Spencer will be good.

No way Pats take Gonzalez or any receiver as they have DB issues already and Asante might be on the way out anyway. They will take DB and a LB

Reaction score
Robert Meachem = Kelly "THE TRUTH" Washington fom the bungles....

Was a combine hero that cant sniff the field
:laugh2:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
speedkilz88;1340067 said:
Wouldn't Anthony Spencer be the better pick, they still need another pass rusher.
Moses had a very good week in practice at the Senior Bowl. There's the risk that he might be "lazy," but he's significantly more athletic than Spencer.

I sure would have liked to see Spencer practice and play in the SB.

Hailmary

Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;1340075 said:

But didn't Washington suffer a serious neck injury that was career threatening? I think that really screwed up his mindset.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Hostile;1340051 said:
That is a pretty glowing scouting report. If we go WR it will mean Terry Glenn will be a June cap saving cut. IMO.

Terrible idea!

I hope that does not happen.

We don't need a first round WR.

Glenn is still a top 10 receiver... runs good routes, best hands, more than respectable speed.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Hostile;1340051 said:
That is a pretty glowing scouting report. If we go WR it will mean Terry Glenn will be a June cap saving cut. IMO.

Why worry about a cap saving when Dallas is 20+ million under in a down talent year for free agents?

Add in that WR is one of the slower developing positions and that doesn't make sense.

ghst187

Reaction score
my second round gems are suddenly in every mock's first round....: Aaron Ross, Anthony Spencer, Robert Meachem.
I wouldn't be upset with the Meachem pick, I would be upset though that we didn't get Spencer or Ross, or Jarrett. I also think Bowe is going to slip into the first round. Its looking like a very top-heavy draft IMO.
If Jarrett lasts this long, we would be silly not to move up a few spots to get him IMO.
I'd like to see a trade up for Jarrett OR...a trade down for Spencer (unless of course we get Adalius in FA). If we're truly bent on moving Henry to FS, which I really don't think we are, I'd like to see us trade down and take A Ross in the first. I could see us draft M Lynch if he falls to us, which wouldn't be unlikely, and trade JJ away, which I wouldn't object to (and he'll have value too since he's coming off an injury-free, 1000 yard season)
What I DON'T want to see is Sydney Rice with our first pick. I might live with Ginn but Rice is another Troy Willliamson IMO.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
theogt;1340077 said:
Moses had a very good week in practice at the Senior Bowl. There's the risk that he might be "lazy," but he's significantly more athletic than Spencer.

I sure would have liked to see Spencer practice and play in the SB.

Spencer beat a lot of OTs in practice but the big concern I have is that he beat them all with a good first step and speed off the edge. He didn't show a single rush move at all.

1fisher

Reaction score
5mics;1339979 said:
Bleeech.....I'd rather give up our 1st rounder for Lovie Smith if that's the case.....

have you ever seem him play? I despise the Volunteers but gotta give the guy props....he can run and catch!!!! I'd like to see him wearing the :star:

Yeag, are you with me on the Vols hate wagon?:D

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1340135 said:
Spencer beat a lot of OTs in practice but the big concern I have is that he beat them all with a good first step and speed off the edge. He didn't show a single rush move at all.

what did you think of Moses, Abiamiri and Woodley? do you think Jay Moore could play 3-4 OLB? how did Brian Robison work?

1fisher

Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;1340075 said:

ok "all knowing one" share your wisdom..... how do you know how well Meachem will do?
:D

Hailmary

Reaction score
aardvark;1340118 said:
Terrible idea!

I hope that does not happen.

We don't need a first round WR.

Yes we do.

Glenn's getting up there in age.

So is TO. And w/ our current uncertainty in the coaching ranks, he is one big tantrum from getting the boot.

Crayton's good where he is at. His production is far too sporadic for him to ever be considered a 1 or 2.

Behind Crayton, we have a couple of udfa's that's shown potential but hasn't prven anything yet.

We need an insurance policy for all of the above.

We need a go to guy that Romo can develop a longterm relationship w/ and not a revolving door of aging vets that's only here for a couple of seasons at a time.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1340155 said:
he had 1 good year, and even then, it was above average at most

And people had to notice in the Championship game...After Ginn was gone Gonzales got all the attention and he didn't shine. But then again no one did on that night.:mad:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Hailmary;1340156 said:
Yes we do.

w/ the depth at WR in this draft, we don't necessarily need to take a WR in the 1st, but definitely need to take one on the 1st day

a few 2nd/3rd round WR prospects, not including iffy 1st round prospects, who project as future #1s:

Johnny Lee Higgins
Paul Williams
Brandon Myles
Craig Davis
Chansi Stuckey
Jason Hill

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
1fisher;1340137 said:
have you ever seem him play? I despise the Volunteers but gotta give the guy props....he can run and catch!!!! I'd like to see him wearing the :star:

Yeag, are you with me on the Vols hate wagon?:D
Just doesn't do anything for me. Plus, WR is not our priority, imo. I'd rather have Ginn, Jr. w/ our 1st if we were going to take a WR.....
T.O. in the slot w/ Ginn, Jr. & Glenn on the outside, plus Witten also?! Wow!