Mel Kiper's Initial First-Round Projection

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1340125 said:
Why worry about a cap saving when Dallas is 20+ million under in a down talent year for free agents?

Add in that WR is one of the slower developing positions and that doesn't make sense.
Because a 5 million dollar bonus for a WR in his 30's is often a cap casualty target. Like it or not, that's the NFL norm.

marchetta

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1340033 said:
Quintin Moses falls out of the first round now?

Quentin Moses DE Georgia

STRENGTH
Quentin has good size for his position. He shows a good burst off the line to go along with some excellent overall talent to cause LT’s big problems when he rushers the passer. He has those nice long legs and arms that make it easier for a pass rusher to cover ground in one or two steps and be in the QB’s face without much effort. Quentin has the athletic talent to impact at the next level.

NEEDS TO IMPROVE
Well, he may have the athletic talent to impact, but he sure as hell does not have the heart, mental strength, physical strength or need to impact at the next level. Other than those issues, I guess he's not that bad!

TALENT BOARD ROUND: 4
This kid reminds me of Eric Flowers! Who?! Yeah, that’s right, Eric Flowers. Now we all remember Eric Flowers right? The Buffalo Bills in the first round of the 2000 draft selected him. He was the 26th pick of that draft. Quentin plays the same uninspired way. He has decent talent, but his body does not look like he can gain much bulk and he is weak against the run even now at the college level. I’m not sure Quentin really wants to play at the next level. I’m sure he wants the money, but I don’t think he wants the pain. It’s a shame to see a kid with this much talent not produce in his last year. I have not heard about any injuries or any other issues that might be used as an excuse for his poor play, but to be honest, it wouldn't matter -– he just doesn’t have it! If Quentin changes his ways, he might become a good situational pass rusher, but I just don’t think that he will ever be that good against the run.

- Drew Boylhart (thehuddlereport.com)

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Hostile;1340168 said:
Because a 5 million dollar bonus for a WR in his 30's is often a cap casualty target. Like it or not, that's the NFL norm.

I'd agree if Dallas needed the money but right now, Dallas will be hard pressed to get within 7-8 million of the cap unless they do something stupid and give Romo a ludicrous extension. There's just not much out there to spend cap dollars on.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Hailmary;1340156 said:
Yes we do.

Glenn's getting up there in age.

So is TO. And w/ our current uncertainty in the coaching ranks, he is one big tantrum from getting the boot.

Crayton's good where he is at. His production is far too sporadic for him to ever be considered a 1 or 2.

Behind Crayton, we have a couple of udfa's that's shown potential but hasn't prven anything yet.

We need an insurance policy for all of the above.

We need a go to guy that Romo can develop a longterm relationship w/ and not a revolving door of aging vets that's only here for a couple of seasons at a time.

I'm just saying with Glenn's production, ability, and experience, you are not going to get that back with a draft pick IMO...

If Dallas loses Glenn and TO... that's losing over 150 receptions, 2,200 yards, and 19 touchdowns...

I know what's gonna happen is what's gonna happen, but color me not ready to lose that kind of offensive production yet...

Wonder how Romo would feel about losing either of those guys??:bang2:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1340188 said:
I'd agree if Dallas needed the money but right now, Dallas will be hard pressed to get within 7-8 million of the cap unless they do something stupid and give Romo a ludicrous extension. There's just not much out there to spend cap dollars on.
Personally Stan, I wouldn't do it. But if it happens, I will not be shocked. It is a business and if you can free up money for a rollover at year's end you still do it. I just don't see us going WR in round 1.

OL, CB or FS.

I want Laron Landry more than any pick out there.

Reaction score
ghst187;1340128 said:
my second round gems are suddenly in every mock's first round....: Aaron Ross, Anthony Spencer, Robert Meachem.
I wouldn't be upset with the Meachem pick, I would be upset though that we didn't get Spencer or Ross, or Jarrett. I also think Bowe is going to slip into the first round. Its looking like a very top-heavy draft IMO.
If Jarrett lasts this long, we would be silly not to move up a few spots to get him IMO.
I'd like to see a trade up for Jarrett OR...a trade down for Spencer (unless of course we get Adalius in FA). If we're truly bent on moving Henry to FS, which I really don't think we are, I'd like to see us trade down and take A Ross in the first. I could see us draft M Lynch if he falls to us, which wouldn't be unlikely, and trade JJ away, which I wouldn't object to (and he'll have value too since he's coming off an injury-free, 1000 yard season)
What I DON'T want to see is Sydney Rice with our first pick. I might live with Ginn but Rice is another Troy Willliamson IMO.

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rice is not as fast but more athletic and is 6'4. Williamson is a blazer but is is a 6'1.

You watch the SC play and Rice is a stud even before the combine. The Combine and Williamson's low 4-3 speed is what made him picked at 7... And a weak WR class..

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
If Dallas loses Glenn, he'd get signed by another team so fast it wouldn't even be funny.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Hostile;1340220 said:
Personally Stan, I wouldn't do it. But if it happens, I will not be shocked. It is a business and if you can free up money for a rollover at year's end you still do it. I just don't see us going WR in round 1.

OL, CB or FS.

I want Laron Landry more than any pick out there.

FS in one.....big mistake. I don't care how highly people regard Landry. Don't waste a first on a non-impact position.

Why is everyone dismissing pass rush? The team had no rush down the stretch.

Displaced Cowboy

Reaction score
I haven't seen a ton of Meachum.

What I did see was him getting completely locked down by Justin King in the Outback Bowl.

I can see a whole host of names going off the board after Meachum who i'd prefer.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
djdoug;1340267 said:
Is Kiper ever right?
Is any Draft guru?

It is an "in-exact" science. He's in the information business. Nothing more. Don't make more of it than it is.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Displaced Cowboy;1340270 said:
I haven't seen a ton of Meachum.

What I did see was him getting completely locked down by Justin King in the Outback Bowl.

Yes, but King's going to be a top ten pick when he decides to come out.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
junk;1340260 said:
FS in one.....big mistake. I don't care how highly people regard Landry. Don't waste a first on a non-impact position.

Why is everyone dismissing pass rush? The team had no rush down the stretch.
If he was there and the choice was mine, I'd take him so fast your head would swim Junk.

Pass rush is a distinct possibility but I think most think fixing the scheme can fix the need too. I am undecided on that belief.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;1340286 said:
If he was there and the choice was mine, I'd take him so fast your head would swim Junk.

Pass rush is a distinct possibility but I think most think fixing the scheme can fix the need too. I am undecided on that belief.

we defintely need another pass-rusher Hos, and Spears and Canty need to pick up their play in the pass-rush

alancdc

Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;1340241 said:
WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rice is not as fast but more athletic and is 6'4. Williamson is a blazer but is is a 6'1.

You watch the SC play and Rice is a stud even before the combine. The Combine and Williamson's low 4-3 speed is what made him picked at 7... And a weak WR class..

Rice is FAR, and I mean FAR better than Williamson. I'm not saying we should pick him, but I am saying that he should not be compared to Williamson. I agree with you on this. Minnn panicked in my opinion with Moss having just ben traded, but even at SC the kid had a bunch of drops. Also, from reading about Ginn he is not a good rout runner, and will probably be a mistake if taken top 10, but I am not a football coach so it is just my opinion.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1340301 said:
we defintely need another pass-rusher Hos, and Spears and Canty need to pick up their play in the pass-rush
I don't deny this. Never have, and never will. I've wanted to beef up the pass rush ever since Haley retired. I'm simply saying that fixing the scheme, i.e. letting Ware focus on pass rush primarily may do more to fix it than we realize. I'm sure it will be analyzed closely by our new Head Coach, whomever that may be.

trueblue1687

Reaction score
CoachHodnett;1339974 said:
Another Mike Williams.....

Funny...typos take on a whole new context, huh? All joking aside, he's definately not Mike Williams.