Twitter: Melton has left the building; on way to STL

Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboysLaw87

Reaction score
We're not out of it yet but I really thought if he made it in to visit he wouldn't have left.

Agreed. Reasons for optimism still, but not a good sign he left. My gut tells me that he ultimately signs with us, but this leverage ploy tells me it's going to cost more than I expected.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Agreed. Reasons for optimism still, but not a good sign he left. My gut tells me that he ultimately signs with us, but this leverage ploy tells me it's going to cost more than I expected.

I think it could cost Dallas about what it cost the skins to get Hatcher. Differance is Melton is 27 and Hatcher is 31

dbonham

Reaction score
I hope we don't shut the door on Melton by blowing all our cap on Allen, Melton is a player you can build around- Allen is a slowing speed rusher.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I hope we don't shut the door on Melton by blowing all our cap on Allen, Melton is a player you can build around- Allen is a slowing speed rusher.

I agree. Part of me would like Allen here but I'm leery about a big contract as he is looking for 3 years 30 mill. Especially when he says he is willing to retire.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
This is just a strange situation. He has visited Minnesota where he would probably be a reserve, Seattle as well.

Now St. Louis? He's not starting there over Brockers, and maybe even not over Kendall Lankford.
I don't know too much about St Louis other than they have excellent DEs, but isn't Brokers a 1-tech?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

It is a risky proposition. Allen has very little to no allegiance to Dallas. We make our pitch, we need to be prepared to accept it if he agrees. Melton is playing the field.

Alexander

Reaction score
I don't know too much about St Louis other than they have excellent DEs, but isn't Brokers a 1-tech?

Brockers has done both. If they get Melton, Lankford is either demoted or likely cut because he carries a decent cap hit.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
I agree. Part of me would like Allen here but I'm leery about a big contract as he is looking for 3 years 30 mill. Especially when he says he is willing to retire.

Is he really willing to retire? Maybe who knows, but it would certainly also be something I would say if in his position to get my money, especially his final contract money. Get teams competing for my services and also let them know there is a certain dollar amount that's not worth my wild.

These guys have agents for a reason and their reason is to build leverage any way they can, IMHO.

Alexander

Reaction score
Is he really willing to retire? Maybe who knows, but it would certainly also be something I would say if in his position to get my money, especially his final contract money. Get teams competing for my services and also let them know there is a certain dollar amount that's not worth my wild.

Well, the last most recent example was Richard Seymour. He made the same threat and followed through.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Brockers has done both. If they get Melton, Lankford is either demoted or likely cut because he carries a decent cap hit.

St Louis has a heck of a DL, money to spend , and two top 13 picks. The NFC West gets stronger and stronger. I remember when they were like the Atlantic Division of the NBA.

CowboysLaw87

Reaction score
Let's say something just a tad north of Hatcher's number gets it done for Melton... you fellas good with 4 years, $30M, $14.5M guaranteed?

Alexander

Reaction score
St Louis has a heck of a DL, money to spend , and two top 13 picks. The NFC West gets stronger and stronger. I remember when they were like the Atlantic Division of the NBA.

Each one of those teams would be a division favorite in the East. It is brutal. It is amazing how a division can change just from some competition.

Meanwhile, the East seems content to throw body blows here and there. Those four teams out there are playing for keeps.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Each one of those teams would be a division favorite in the East. It is brutal. It is amazing how a division can change just from some competition.

Meanwhile, the East seems content to throw body blows here and there. Those four teams out there are playing for keeps.

A decade straight of top 10 picks helps.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
Well, the last most recent example was Richard Seymour. He made the same threat and followed through.

He did indeed, but all the more reason to say it even if you did not mean it. Which one is Allen, I guess we will find out.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
He is doing exactly what I would do if I was in his position, speak to all of his suitors, see if he can get them bidding against one another and let the highest dollars win.

Nobody's going into a bidding war for him.

That's why he's basically visiting every team.

bysbox1

Reaction score
Dallas does not have the money to compete with teams who are well under the cap. You can keep saying no one wants to come here but that is a load of BS

????????

I did not say no one wants to come here. I said when free agents do come here they more often than not pan out. We have a high track record of Free Agents that just don't work out once they get here.

I think you misunderstood me.

Status
Not open for further replies.