Melton is a Cowboy - 1yr, multi-year club option

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I don't understand this team option stuff. Doesn't it just mean they gave him mostly signing bonus for this year and the rest of the deal isn't guaranteed?

Zordon

Reaction score
He's very dependent on Marinelli. The Bears reporter on 105.3 is confirming it. I've been saying that he is not a self motivator. As long as Marinelli is here, I won't worry too much about his play. But if Marinelli ever leaves, then worry about this guy.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't understand this team option stuff. Doesn't it just mean they gave him mostly signing bonus for this year and the rest of the deal isn't guaranteed?

Yes, it would basically be the same thing.

starfrombirth

Reaction score

it means that if he doesn't make the cowboys happy they can let him go without owing him any more money and no further salary cap hit.

Zordon

Reaction score
hahaha wow. That's the best you got? Me saying that we should "consider" extending Hatcher if he isn't too expensive? That's pretty sad and weak Zordon, even for you.

Nice try. Why would you "consider" signing someone who is obviously entering Medicare soon?

If you're going to post on here with your nose in the air every day, make sure you stay consistent with your opinions.

RS12

Reaction score
Well ... we r still waiting for official numbers but I am cautiously optimistic. I like the age and I like them covering themselves with the club options. Now we just need to make sure we don't roll the brinks truck up.

Looks like Jerry took note last year after he franchised Spencer for 11 mill when he could of had Cliff Avril for 6. If nothing else hopefully overpaying for fringe will be less frequent.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Melton
Crawford
McClain
Bass
Hayden

Thats a really nice rotation. DE should be the focus come draft day.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
I would stay away from Spencer. This injury he has is what ended players careers like Terry Glenn and Winslow. Terry Glenn decided not to get the surgery and just vanished and Winslow got it and his game was just taken from him.

It's a bad and tricky injury agreed, but Winslow had a Pro Bowl year after his surgery (he was younger) and 3 decent years in Tampa. Just have a feeling the may try and get buy with Spencer for a year, while the draft pick gets his feet under him.

Will see.

Hoofbite

Reaction score

I would guess his signing bonus is not big. Shouldn't be because then it's no different than any other contract.

He probably has a minimal SB and reasonable base.

His first year will look nice, or should.

I would imagine his cost goes up a lot for the following years.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
Looks like Jerry took note last year after he franchised Spencer for 11 mill when he could of had Cliff Avril for 6. If nothing else hopefully overpaying for fringe will be less frequent.

We can hope so. I think that is what we all hoped for when he let DWare and Hatcher go. My personal opinion is that his hand was forced with Ware but hopefully it's a learning opportunity for him and will continue to make positive steps going forward. :)

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
Nice try. Why would you "consider" signing someone who is obviously entering Medicare soon?

If you're going to post on here with your nose in the air every day, make sure you stay consistent with your opinions.

If you can't see the difference between signing an expensive and an inexpensive vet, then you don't understand the NFL.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I would stay away from Spencer. This injury he has is what ended players careers like Terry Glenn and Winslow. Terry Glenn decided not to get the surgery and just vanished and Winslow got it and his game was just taken from him.

I wound bite at a low price.

Colston had it twice, maybe even on his wrists IIRC. Reggie Bush supposedly had it.

Then again, kinda wonder if guys who go to that surgery earlier come out better. Waiting until there's no other option may be worse.