Memories of better times - 6 minutes of Romo to TO

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
We might have won had TO been healthy. He was essentially a decoy after getting hurt before the playoffs. That gets lost in memories of that game. However, we had other letdowns in that game and more letdowns since then, and it's really rarely been the quarterback's fault, whether we're talking about Romo or Prescott. I've never understood why it is deemed necessary to blame the QB for losses unless everything else went perfectly except the QB's play. We've had the opposite where our QBs have played very well and we didn't win because of other players, and our fans still blame the QB.
TO was fine this game. He had 4 receptions for 49 yards and a TD. He should have had more as he was targeted 10 times. He was wide open in the red zone in the 3rd quarter on 3rd down but a wild pass forced us to kick a FG instead. He also got behind the defense deep two times in the 4th quarter the ball was under thrown.

Yes there were other mistakes this game and yes TO was injured prior to the game, but the announcers addressed the injury early in the broadcast. He was far from a decoy though.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
TO was fine this game. He had 4 receptions for 49 yards and a TD. He should have had more as he was targeted 10 times. He was wide open in the red zone in the 3rd quarter on 3rd down but a wild pass forced us to kick a FG instead. He also got behind the defense deep two times in the 4th quarter the ball was under thrown.

Yes there were other mistakes this game and yes TO was injured prior to the game, but the announcers addressed the injury early in the broadcast. He was far from a decoy though.

Owens had a high-ankle sprain that he suffered in late December. He was not fine.

https://www.nfl.com/news/owens-stil...game-time-decision-for-cowbo-09000d5d805cfb4a

Creeper

Reaction score
I think Romo's problem is that he always played hurt, or came back too early. That forces you to play different and...stay hurt.

I get it....people didn't like how fragile he was. But....given plenty of time to fully heal...his last drive showed what he's capable of.

Romo had injuries but my point wasn't that he was fragile. My point was he was so fragile at the end of his career that Jerry had no choice but to give the team to Dak.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Owens had a high-ankle sprain that he suffered in late December. He was not fine.

https://www.nfl.com/news/owens-stil...game-time-decision-for-cowbo-09000d5d805cfb4a
I know what he had. As I mentioned, the announcers addressed the injury during the broadcast. You're using the fact he had an injury and characterizing him as basically a decoy. Rewatch the game. He wasn't a decoy. He was targeted 10 times. He had 4 receptions for 49 yards and should have had at least one more TD. He was also had a step on the defense deep twice in the 4th quarter and the ball was underthrown. He played fine and the injury shouldn't be used as an excuse.

khiladi

Reaction score
The Cowboys passing game was exposed by the end of 2007. This was more than evident when they couldn’t get Romo a passing record against the sorry Commanders in the last half of the final game in the season.

Then we got to see Garrett in all his glory by 2008. As I quoted one stat, with Garrett in charge going into 2011, they didn’t run a single snap with a QB from under center with a three WR set, while the league was doing it. That why defense were calling out this passing offense, but Jerry decided to help out Garrett by giving up a whole bunch of draft picks for Roy Williams to ‘take the pressure off TO’. What pressure is that taking off TO, if your running all these two WR sets from center anyways? It’s not like you got two TOs on each side.

TO’s attitude basically gave Garrett a free pass.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...jason-garrett-still-looks-like-one-trick-pony

gimmesix

Reaction score
I know what he had. As I mentioned, the announcers addressed the injury during the broadcast. You're using the fact he had an injury and characterizing him as basically a decoy. Rewatch the game. He wasn't a decoy. He was targeted 10 times. He had 4 receptions for 49 yards and should have had at least one more TD. He was also had a step on the defense deep twice in the 4th quarter and the ball was underthrown. He played fine and the injury shouldn't be used as an excuse.

I watched the game. He wasn't the same player. The injury, which had slowed him during the week, also slowed him during the game. Just because a player of his caliber makes some catches and is targeted 10 times does not mean he's playing at his normal level. Decoy might be too strong of a word, but the Cowboys tried often to get the ball to Crayton and Glenn because Owens' injury was limiting him.

Romo was under tremendous pressure against the Giants as the weakness of the offensive line was exposed. It didn't help not having Owens at close to 100 percent. Of course, drops by other players didn't help, either, as there was plenty of blame to go around in the loss.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I watched the game. He wasn't the same player. The injury, which had slowed him during the week, also slowed him during the game. Just because a player of his caliber makes some catches and is targeted 10 times does not mean he's playing at his normal level. Decoy might be too strong of a word, but the Cowboys tried often to get the ball to Crayton and Glenn because Owens' injury was limiting him.

Romo was under tremendous pressure against the Giants as the weakness of the offensive line was exposed. It didn't help not having Owens at close to 100 percent. Of course, drops by other players didn't help, either, as there was plenty of blame to go around in the loss.
If he was slowed he was still open. Maybe because the Giants secondary was riddled with injuries. But you touched on the real reason Owens was limited. Romo couldn't get him the ball because he was under pressure. If Romo had time Owens would have definitely had 2 TDs, maybe even 3 or 4 touchdowns if they would have connected on the deep balls. There was another time Miles Austin was left wide open that should have been an easy TD but Romo didn't have time to spot him. Crayton dropped another ball on 3rd down and stopped on a route late. If I'm not mistaken, TO even had a drop this game. Plenty of screw ups, but Owens was not a decoy. He was the most targeted receiver and was open plenty this game.

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
Romo had injuries but my point wasn't that he was fragile. My point was he was so fragile at the end of his career that Jerry had no choice but to give the team to Dak.

Garrett said they didn’t give the job back to Romo, because they didn’t want to upset the chemistry. It had zero to do with the injury.

The offense they were running was simple one. And if turned out to be completely stupid as time showed , as well the previous games of Dak against the Vikings and Giants showed, teams with good defenses, 6 and 2 respectively.

https://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-co...-into-complicated-decision-to-bench-tony-romo

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
Better times? And we won what again?

Where's the Aikman to Harper videos? Lol.

Exactly my thoughts. But we are entering a new era of Cowboys fandom where the majority never saw what the Dallas Cowboys really are. They only know the Jerry Clownboys. So forgive them if that, for them, is considered "better" times

Thanks Jerry .. good job :facepalm:

:cool:

DandyDon52

Reaction score

That was fun catiii !
Did not realize owens had that many td passes, in a short time here.
Then after that vid, a 1 hour vid showing all romos td's lol takes a hour to show them all.

Tony was good, just got stuck with jg.

one thing they kept saying in the 1 hour vid was romo improvises, which means jg's play was crap, and romo would extend the play and find a receiver.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
So many resources have gone to Dak to give him weapons now the other parts of the offense are falling apart and the d still needs help.

Now Dak wants more than the cowboys offered, lets not act like Dak isn't playing his role in screwing over the long term success of his team.
Evidently we should just ban past DC QB videos so not to hurt the feelings of some DC fans. Romo was a very good talent at the position and deserves some accolades for his work and improvement as a pro QB. He had an amazing knack for making plays and sometimes it caught up with him. Nope he didn't get us to the promise land and it's ashamed that he's human and those around him were too but he gave it his all and will probably feel the physical part of that the rest of his life.
Hilarious how quickly "fans" are triggered and offended by this video and his play which only indicates a inferior complex to their own fav QB whoever it might be. I hope 15 years down the road, we're seeing Dak videos with him holding the Lombardi trophy. But right now after a DC terrible year, it's good to watch talented football play of the team you root for. Try some Larry Allen or Ken Norton video when they were in their hay day. It will remind you of what talent really is in this game and on this team.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
That was fun catiii !
Did not realize owens had that many td passes, in a short time here.
Then after that vid, a 1 hour vid showing all romos td's lol takes a hour to show them all.

Tony was good, just got stuck with jg.

one thing they kept saying in the 1 hour vid was romo improvises, which means jg's play was crap, and romo would extend the play and find a receiver.
This. So much of Romo's success was built off busted plays. It would be fun to hear the % of called plays he killed at the line in his later years. The fun part of the video is with each pass, TO rarely has to adjust his hands or body to receive the ball.

gimmesix

Reaction score
If he was slowed he was still open. Maybe because the Giants secondary was riddled with injuries. But you touched on the real reason Owens was limited. Romo couldn't get him the ball because he was under pressure. If Romo had time Owens would have definitely had 2 TDs, maybe even 3 or 4 touchdowns if they would have connected on the deep balls. There was another time Miles Austin was left wide open that should have been an easy TD but Romo didn't have time to spot him. Crayton dropped another ball on 3rd down and stopped on a route late. If I'm not mistaken, TO even had a drop this game. Plenty of screw ups, but Owens was not a decoy. He was the most targeted receiver and was open plenty this game.

Like I said, decoy was probably the wrong word. Owens was tearing up the league from late October to December, including three games with more than 150 yards receiving. When he got injured, his production went way down. He didn't have more than five catches in a game after December started or more than the 49 yards he had in the playoffs.

Now, the line was starting to have troubles as teams figured out that our linemen were big and powerful but lacked real good movement skills, but Owens also clearly wasn't the same player.

But that's neither here nor there. As we've said, it was a bad game on several fronts with the team blowing possibly its best opportunity in the past 20-plus years to reach an NFC Championship Game and make a Super Bowl.

CoachD

Reaction score
Best qb I've seen play for dallas. But Jerry screwed him like hes starting to with dak. Failing to put a team around the qb.
If you're talking about Romo you're either on crack or never saw Staubach and Aikman play.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Um...no....I don't confront anyone any more that YOU do..which you just did here. You were the FIRST one to assume it was some anti-dak thing. That is NOT "leaving people alone".

So you think you know me well enough to call me a "rotten human being"...yet.....coming at me like this? I;d say YOU don't take difference of opinion very well.

We might disagree on a lot of stuff but I wouldn't have the balls to judge you as a "rotten human being" ...that is pretty...well... rotten of ya....for not knowing me one wit.

Easy to look though your lens of judgment but not so easy to look in the mirror.

Not sure what kind of agreement we allegedly had. Like you...I call them like I see them. We have that in common. I saw you get all fussy and sensitive when you THOUGHT this was anti dak post. You couldn't just enjoy the flashback...could ya? Agenda.
Between the two of you, guess which one PM'd me an apology for getting drunk and taking the insult train off the tracks?

Vandyr

Reaction score
"Memories of better times - 6 minutes of TO making Romo looking like a franchise QB"

is the more fitting subject.

Yea, no. Look at that ball placement. Something Dallas' current QB just cannot do. Dez is a good enough example of this, as he was awesome under one QB and useless under the other.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
All right, you want to go with a No. 2 receiver who benefitted from playing second fiddle to one of the best Cowboys receivers of all time, that's your random choice.

People liked TO for the splash plays. Well, Harper gave us those too including probably the 2nd greatest catch in Cowboys history on the slant and run in the '93 NFC Championship Game (2nd to the original Hail Mary IMO). My overall point was that those were the better times because they led to the hoisting of back to back hardware. Entertainment AND results. We've only been entertained since. I'm alright with that but I don't consider just the entertainment "better times" than any other since the 90's.

EGTuna

Reaction score
I think it's a cool bit of trivia that Dick Enberg(!), who I would have thought had been retired in 2005, was the play-by-play man for Romo's first TD pass. Pretty cool. So Dick Enberg probably called TD passes for Staubach, White, Aikman, and Romo. And maybe one of the schlubs in between, but not sure Hogeboom, Pelluer, Quincy or Walsh merit an Enberg reference.

Al Michaels definitely called TD passes for White, Aikman, Quincy, Testaverde, Bledsoe, Romo, Kitna, Orton, & Dak. That's pretty cool.