Memories of better times - 6 minutes of Romo to TO

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I liked Romo. It's too bad things shaped up the way they did because I think he was perfectly capable of winning in the NFL. Was he a gunslinger? Yes. Definitely he could make some throws that would make you scream, but overall, I thought he had a good football moxie about him. I remember always feeling confident he could get you down the field for a score (i.e. see opening game 2015 vs NY Giants).

Unfortunately, he was tethered to Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett as his head coach for most of his career.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
***! At about the 2:07 mark, did you see the Giants DB punch TO way after the TD? I wonder if they called a penalty for that?

Anyway, TO was a great combination of size and speed.

As for the Romo controversy, Romo was a really good QB, but not without flaws. I still remember him single handedly throwing away a game against the Lions and another against the Jets after the Cowboys took big leads in both games. As good has Romo could be, he could be just as bad. At the end of his career Jerry really had no choice but to replace Romo with Dak. Romo was just too injury prone. Every time he got hit he broke something. The Cowboys were lucky Dak turned out to be as good as he was in 2016.
I think Romo's problem is that he always played hurt, or came back too early. That forces you to play different and...stay hurt.

I get it....people didn't like how fragile he was. But....given plenty of time to fully heal...his last drive showed what he's capable of.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak's actually had it easy in comparison to Romo and Danny White etc. Walk in the park easy.
2016 WAS Romo's team. A team so good, even a mid round rookie could do it.

(some of you calm down...that isn't a knock on Dak. He handled that team and the spotlight very well. I do admit that I think a more experienced QB *might* have done better in the playoffs)

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
There it is...the final drive like clockwork. Any "fan" not appreciative is pathetic!

(yep...I said it. Challenged your fandom. Big deal. )
It was a nice drive. Had it been Dak it would be pointed out the Giants had a losing record that year and had the worst passing defense in the league. Romo enjoys the QB privilege where we just appreciate the nice drive though. :clap:

khiladi

Reaction score
The days when Jason Garrett was OC and didn’t have TO at all in motion or from the slot and couldn’t field a RG to save his life...

What a complete waste of talent with Jerry’s decision, followed by a media infatuated with Garrett as some type of genius, only to turn a decade later...

I mean look at the ‘originality’ in the offense..

It was the absolute stupidest decision by Jerry to go with Dak, considering how much the offense shifted to a play-action offense, built off an all-pro line and top flight RG with Linehan. The throws Tony has in basic two WR sets with TO and he’s leading him with that which release and TO not slowing down is ridiculous. These were basic plays not built on anything fancy. What a waste..

Last edited:

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
called reading defenses , i know novel concept we miss sometimes..notice how fast the ball came out, its because he already knew where he was going with the ball many times before the snap..

I understand what reading defenses means. I also know Romo called so many audibles and changed blocking schemes ad infinitum, he was known for using all the clock to the point of exhaustion.

Not passing judgment on that, just saying what was transpiring.

khiladi

Reaction score
The reality is, Dak experiment has been a complete waste.

Here’s how Prescott has done as a passer when down 4-8 points in the final four minutes of games compared to the NFL average since he entered the league in 2016:

• Passer rating: Prescott 70.6 vs. NFL avg 76.5
  • Yards per attempt: Prescott 5.9 vs. NFL avg 6.7
  • Touchdown rate: Prescott 2.8% vs. NFL avg 4.6%
    Interception rate: Prescott 2.8% vs. NFL avg 3.7%
    Sack rate: Prescott: 7.7% vs. NFL avg 5.3%

That is… not good.

• At a point in games when aggressiveness is more acceptable, the only thing Prescott does at an above-average rate is avoid interceptions (well, until the Seattle game). There’s something to be said for living to play another down, but Prescott hasn’t been able to translate his dropbacks into yards or touchdowns in the clutch at even the rate of a league-average passer.
https://www.actionnetwork.com/nfl/dak-prescott-clutch-4th-quarter-jerry-jones-cowboys-defense

As I’ve pointed out multiple times, providing the numbers including this year, such as in comparison to Watson, Dak in clutch time, his YPC drop considerable, he doesn’t put the ball in the end zone. He basically doesn’t take risks, and starts throwing the ball in soft coverages and when the pressure to perform isn’t weighing on his shoulders. Dak is not a drop back passer. This idea he was bringing teams back, but was failed by the defense isn’t supported by the numbers. He’s not even league average in these numbers. 201) obfuscated it, because our OL and Zeke was completely wearing down defenses and all Dak had to do is game manage the team, while protecting the ball. When teams began to double Beasley the following year, adjusting to Linehan providing him that outlet, Dak was complete garbage.

Now, obviously anytime we filter down to specific situations like this one, we have to consider the small sample size — Prescott has only 78 career dropbacks in these situations — but you couldn’t blame Jones if he looks fondly on the days of Romo, who has a decisive edge over Prescott across the board in the clutch:

• Passer rating: Romo 95.3 vs. Prescott 70.6
  • Yards per attempt: Romo 7.3 vs. Prescott 5.9
  • Touchdown rate: Romo 5.8% vs. Prescott 2.8%
  • Interception rate: Romo 2.2% vs. Prescott 2.8%
  • Sack rate: Romo 2.1% vs. Prescott 7.7%

The stand-out from play calling perspective is that Prescott only had 78 dropbacks, while Romo had no such limitations. In the case of Dak, he was limiting the OC, but with Romo, it was the OC limiting him.

Last edited:

CWR

Reaction score
Better than last year, but not good enough AND one of the most heart breaking playoff exits I can remember.

khiladi

Reaction score
Look at what Romo was saddled with:

Anyway, back to his comments, the Cowboys actually were in a good spot most of the night. Obviously, a 1st and 30 situation is going to hurt your average, but 7.3 average yards to go on 2nd down was only bettered 6 times in 2011. The game in Philadelphia last year had an average 2nd down of 9.88 yards. You might as well just take a knee.

For the Cowboys to have success, they need balance. This is true in most offenses, but the Cowboys offensive line has killed balance the last few seasons as they are reluctant to simply run the ball from under center with regularity. The reason is that they were not finding any yards from a play that declared run and the defense was ready. So, they would get stuffed 4 or 5 times in the 1st Half and never do it again. This causes endless problems and puts you in a spot where your QB gets hit repeatedly and then injured.

But, DeMarco Murray appears to be changing that. They average 22 runs from under center (we subtract shotgun runs that are generally 3rd and long draw plays where the defense is sitting on the pass) with Murray starting and the results continue to be very impressive. Murray again was part of an attack with 22 under center runs that resulted in 140 yards. 6.36 yards per carry on the road in New York? That is the key to victory.

Remember, this wasn’t because of Garrett, but because Callahan came and completely revamped the RG. By the time Callahan completely revamped the line and Zeke was tearing up the league in 2016, Zeke was netting over 5 YPC on first down, meaning this offense was basically working with second and short.

The real kicker as far as passing game was the following:

Plenty to look at here. 11 personnel under center is a package that since 2008 has never been used by the Cowboys. This is interesting, because around the NFL, it is used a ton by many teams. When the Cowboys are in “11” personnel, it has been about 98% shotgun since I have tracked the data. But, on this one occasion, the Cowboys ran 11 personnel a whopping 8 times after running it just 17 plays in all of 2011. Is this a new wrinkle with Bill Callahan? Is this a more comfortable snap for Ryan Cook? Is this a loud stadium or DeMarco Murray or a Jason Witten effect? We don’t know for sure, but I wonder if they are planning more of that.

The Cowboys with running through offense didn’t run a SINGLE three WR set from 2008 when Tony Romo took a snap from center, even though it was being used all over the league. 2008 was when Garrett got complete control over the offense after Sparano left. And the first time they ran it when Garrett we still OC was 2012.

If anybody was completely shadowed within completely TRASH and incompetent and simplistic play-calling, it was Tony Romo.

https://www.foxsports.com/arizona/s...1-plenty-to-build-upon-for-the-offense-090712

starfan1

Reaction score
Phil Costa
Alex Barron
Montrae Holland
Kevin Kowalski
Ryan Cook
Nate Livings
Pat McQuistan
Cory Proctor

Eeesh.
Larry Allen, Mark Columbo, Andre gurode, Travis frederick, Tyron smith, Zack martin, Leonard Davis .Cmon tell the whole story

While he did have some tools on the line it don't tell the whole story. In parenthesis are the pro bowlers
2006 (2)
2007 (3)
2008 (3)
2009 (2)
2010 (1)
2011 (0) tyrons rookie year then the line got better every year
The stories get more elaborate every time they are told.
Romo played behind terrible line well ya he did but not his whole career
Romo had terrible defenses well ya he did but not his whole career

I make no bones about TR was not my favorite player but he didnt play with chopped liver like the legends get retold, What is true is jerry didn't necessarily put it all together for him at once and that story has continued with current QB. football is a tough sport and TR had some tough breaks but he also did himself in sometimes as well.

khiladi

Reaction score
Larry Allen, Mark Columbo, Andre gurode, Travis frederick, Tyron smith, Zack martin, Leonard Davis .Cmon tell the whole story

While he did have some tools on the line it don't tell the whole story. In parenthesis are the pro bowlers
2006 (2)
2007 (3)
2008 (3)
2009 (2)
2010 (1)

I make no bones about TR was not my favorite player but he didnt play with chopped liver like the legends get retold, What is true is jerry didn't necessarily put it all together for him at once and that story has continued with current QB. football is a tough sport and TR had some tough breaks but he also did himself in sometimes as well.

pro bowls voted by the fans. Davis was a bust in Arizona, Rivera had a broken back, Gurode couldn’t call plays.. Columbo was a journeyman OL, these were the same guys outside Flozell who were with Bledsoe and were considered the weakest link of the Cowboys. When Flozell went down in 2005, the line gave up in like 10 games well over 40 sacks.

Smith was drafted because Jerry understood the value of a LT after Flozell left. Outside of him, we had mediocrity.

just stop. Comparing this line to what Dak walked into, which were all-pro linemen and coached by arguably one of the greatest OL and RG coaches in history in Bill Callahan is nothing but Dak-Stan mania at its greatest.

The story hasn’t continued for Dak. The baby-sat this mediocre QB the whole time he has been here. It’s because of this baby-sitting that the Cowboys wasted all this talent. Very few QBs in the league walked into a situation where all-pro linemen had played together for a period of minimum at least two years together and had stability from that position for the time he was QB’ing..

erod

Reaction score

2006 (2)
2007 (3)
2008 (3)
2009 (2)
2010 (1)

By the time Frederick and Martin showed up, he was broken down.

He only got the good versions of Gurode, Columbo, and Davis for about a year.

He never played with Larry Allen.

Those years between 2008-2013 were brutal on his body.

starfan1

Reaction score
By the time Frederick and Martin showed up, he was broken down.

He only got the good versions of Gurode, Columbo, and Davis for about a year.

He never played with Larry Allen.

Those years between 2008-2013 were brutal on his body.

My bad your right larry left after 2005 and I dont agree with your analysis but respect it.

starfan1

Reaction score
pro bowls voted by the fans. Davis was a bust in Arizona, Rivera had a broken back, Gurode couldn’t call plays.. Columbo was a journeyman OL, these were the same guys outside Flozell who were with Bledsoe and were considered the weakest link of the Cowboys. When Flozell went down in 2005, the line gave up in like 10 games well over 40 sacks.

Smith was drafted because Jerry understood the value of a LT after Flozell left. Outside of him, we had mediocrity.

just stop. Comparing this line to what Dak walked into, which were all-pro linemen and coached by arguably one of the greatest OL and RG coaches in history in Bill Callahan is nothing but Dak-Stan mania at its greatest.

The story hasn’t continued for Dak. The baby-sat this mediocre QB the whole time he has been here. It’s because of this baby-sitting that the Cowboys wasted all this talent. Very few QBs in the league walked into a situation where all-pro linemen had played together for a period of minimum at least two years together and had stability from that position for the time he was QB’ing..
dude your a high level Romosexual and high level dak hater. Nothing you say in this regard can be taken seriously. It already been proven in other threads your hypocrisy.