Merriman named defensive rookie of year

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Haley94 said:
Hope this isn't a repost. I still think we will be very happy with ware.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2280247

Well, that was expected. He or Odel Thurman probably were going to win it. Ware just came up little short in stats Dept.

There is no thinking, I am pretty sure, when its all said and done, barring injuries, who will have better career among Merriman and Ware. Ware is barly scratching the surface and can switch between DE and LB. Merriman is not going to be DE, at least not as easily as Ware can be.

aznhalf

Reaction score
As a Maryland alum I'm happy for him. It was pretty evident that he would be good at the next level, even if most of his sacks where caused by clever schemes.

Ware only got one vote, but I think he'll be better in the long run once he gets acclamated to his new role.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Ware should have had more votes.

That he got ZERO love from ESPN after the Panthers game is a crime. They never once posted any of his #s on screen when reporting on the game, nor did I hear any of their announcers even mention his 3 sacks. That's just wrong. A 3 sack game is dominant and rare.

Haley94

Reaction score
An important note is that Ware really didn't have any older linebackers that played in the 3-4 to help in along as Merrriman did. It really was just sink or swim for him.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Haley94 said:
An important note is that Ware really didn't have any older linebackers that played in the 3-4 to help in along as Merrriman did. It really was just sink or swim for him.

Having Foley was really key. Foley is a very good bookend for him. Also that beast DT they have in the middle can really collapse the pocket.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
Merriman didn't have the joy of playing for ol' Zimmer.

Good system Zimmer... never met a player with outstanding potential that Zimmer couldn't reel in and suffocate. Roy, Newman, Ware, Spears, etc...... Teaching how to avoid insticts since 2000.

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
Fear the Turtle.

Merriman took over in the Indy game.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
According to STATS Inc. --

Ware had 8.0 sacks, 10.0 tackles for loss, 47 tackles, 11 assists, 3 forced fumbles, 1 pass defended

Merriman had 10.0 sacks, 5.0 tackles for loss, 41 tackles, 13 assists, 2 forced fumbles, 5 passes defended

AbeBeta

Reaction score
cobra said:
Merriman didn't have the joy of playing for ol' Zimmer.

Good system Zimmer... never met a player with outstanding potential that Zimmer couldn't reel in and suffocate. Roy, Newman, Ware, Spears, etc...... Teaching how to avoid insticts since 2000.

Yeah Zimmer sucks. That's why so many teams are interested in him as a head coach.

Ware's "problem" this year was that he played at a little tiny college against weak competition. That a guy could come out of Troy and be voted 4th best rookie defender in the league is awesome. And we all know he is much much better than he's gotten credit for.

Haley94

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:

Ware had 8.0 sacks, 10.0 tackles for loss, 47 tackles, 11 assists, 3 forced fumbles, 1 pass defended

Merriman had 10.0 sacks, 5.0 tackles for loss, 41 tackles, 13 assists, 2 forced fumbles, 5 passes defended

I think I remember reading that Ware had a lot more QB pressures as well, although it's not an official stat.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:

Wow...Very close.

I love Ware...He'll be just fine.

If both teams are Happy...That's Ok by me.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
My only reservation was Merriman was bigger, better ready to play and a lot younger.

All in all Ware is a nice hybrid add with LT SACK MEISTER POTENTIAL!

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
abersonc said:
Yeah Zimmer sucks. That's why so many teams are interested in him as a head coach.

Ware's "problem" this year was that he played at a little tiny college against weak competition. That a guy could come out of Troy and be voted 4th best rookie defender in the league is awesome. And we all know he is much much better than he's gotten credit for.

I didn't say he was a horrible coach. What I said was that he teaches system which doesn't play into the strengths of the players. There isn't anything wrong with that, per se. But it doesn't contribute to players being "studs." It's more of a team defense system. Roy hasn't been used right since getting here. Newman is required to be soft sometimes. The same thing with Ware. He was only really turned lose on obvious passing downs, and on those downs, he excelled getting qb pressures, etc.

I wasn't bashing Zimmer as a coach; I was pointing out how Zimmer's system approach doesn't let players wreck havoc. Merriman was cut lose in San Diego.

Dallas4ever

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Having Foley was really key. Foley is a very good bookend for him. Also that beast DT they have in the middle can really collapse the pocket.

Very good point. Congrats to Merriman for making the most out of his situation.

TX_Yid

Reaction score
Didn't we avoid Merriman because our scouting said he haid a questionable attitude? If so then I'd say the future is probably still rosier with Ware.

Duane

Reaction score
TX_Yid said:
Didn't we avoid Merriman because our scouting said he haid a questionable attitude? If so then I'd say the future is probably still rosier with Ware.
He was represented by the Postons as well.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
TX_Yid said:

Yeah -- but it was more "character" -- Merriman had several problems at Maryland that scouts got wind of -- many relating to physical confrontations on campus and with other players - often resulting in Merriman beating the living crap out of someone. Several teams took him off their boards because of it.