Merriman named defensive rookie of year

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Bill never would have turned him loose like SD did. He would have been covering TE's half the time like Ware.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Hopefully Ware will have more superbowl rings, everyone else can have the rookies of the year, mvp's and all that other non-sense.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Year 1:

Merriman - 1
Ware - 0

Cheers to both having great careers!

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
I'm getting tired of a team dismissing players with certain agents......

At some point that is stupid and you pass on lessor players with "friendly" agents.... We have near the deepest pockets in NFL. Thats silly and last 2 years we came in $5M under cap. Why are we operating like a small market team?

vicjagger

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Ware just came up little short in stats Dept...

And A LOT short in the vote department. Only 1 vote out of a possible 50.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
cobra said:
Merriman didn't have the joy of playing for ol' Zimmer.

Good system Zimmer... never met a player with outstanding potential that Zimmer couldn't reel in and suffocate. Roy, Newman, Ware, Spears, etc...... Teaching how to avoid insticts since 2000.

how is improving your defense 6 spots, in the 1st year in a new scheme, suffocating talent? I think it's more like getting the most out of it

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
cobra said:
I wasn't bashing Zimmer as a coach; I was pointing out how Zimmer's system approach doesn't let players wreck havoc. Merriman was cut lose in San Diego.

for 1, Ware had more responsibilities than Merriman, and 2, you can't really cut your people on D loose when they hardly know the scheme their running

btw, I think Zimmer got a heck of a lot out of Roy

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
You have to admire what Ware has done in his first year. Many in the draft considered him a great risk. He was playing a position that was new to him and he needs to add a little muscle.What I like about Ware over Merriman right now is that he is just starting to get it in the NFL. Parcells said many times during the season that he looked like he was directing traffic. Well, imagine when he has a year or two under his belt and he can just react. Ware is a physical freak. He can chase down running backs!!!! He is only gonna get better and probably much better and he is the most important player in a 3-4 defense. Lets see what happens if we can get pressure from the other side. Many times this year I saw QBs running away from Ware only to get the ball away because not enough pressure was coming from the other side. Fujita will be better next year and we may draft or go to FAs to get that pressure from the other side. I am confident that we made the right decision even though it didn't show up in the voting.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
dmq said:
I am confident that we made the right decision even though it didn't show up in the voting.

we couldn't have gone wrong with either player, both are going to be wrecking-balls

AbeBeta

Reaction score
vicjagger said:
So rare that Julius Peppers had one the same day, on the same field.

just b/c Peppers also had one doesn't mean it isn't rare.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Our offensive line made many DEs look like all-pros. Look at Little in the Rams game.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Bet Ware would have gotten this award in San Diego. Merriman did not have to cover downfield at all.