Message to the players- When's it going to be about championships?

aria

Reaction score
Yeah all bad picks are Jerry and any good pick was someone else. lol yeah that is how it works, at least in some fans mind. Any player brought in , is only signed if Jerry signs off on it period. McClay does not sign anyone, he scouts them and brings in his evaluation and either Jones signs off on it or he doesn't. I will never remove blame from Jerry, any failure of this team rest with him but this crap of Oh Jerry had nothing to do with it? Give me a break he owns the damn team and no one plays without the final nod of Jerry Jones. Like it or not
Nope, that’s not what I said. It is well known that Jerry always has and most likely always will take higher risks with players more than most other GM’s. If McClay is the one picking these high risk players than he’s not as good as everyone gives him credit for. Jason Garrett and Marinelli also caught flak for certain players, so who is it? Who deserves the credit and who deserves the blame for drafting players?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I get that but ask the same to SF and KC..... they'll say winning at ALL cost.
Remember when San Francisco went to the Super Bowl in 2012, the NFC Championship Game in 2013, and then fired the head coach in 2015 b/c they didn't like his personality? Yea, Jed York wants to win way more than Jerry. Totally.

KC has been garbage since the 90s until last year, too.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
By people speculating and posting unsubstantiated opinions.
Which includes much of the media and basically everyone we read, watch or listen to.

Or we can believe Jerry. Lol

Which even he has admitted to much in his own way.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Which includes much of the media and basically everyone we read, watch or listen to.

Or we can believe Jerry. Lol

Which even he has admitted to much in his own way.
The media has no more credibility than you and I, on stuff like this, b/c their only goal is generating clicks.

"Jerry doesn't want Super Bowl, hates Jimmy Johnson" is a much catchier headline than "Jerry is willing to do more than other owners to win, and is also the best business man of the group."

People just don't want to admit it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The media has no more credibility than you and I, on stuff like this, b/c their only goal is generating clicks.

"Jerry doesn't want Super Bowl, hates Jimmy Johnson" is a much catchier headline than "Jerry is willing to do more than other owners to win, and is also the best business man of the group."

People just don't want to admit it.
Jerry is willing to do everything but get out of the way.

Why , because unlike the rest of the leagues owners he wants credit for being a Football Guy.

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score
As stated, the owner’s/GM priority is not winning football games, period. It’s about the “show”.....

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Our GM is getting hammered on his yacht instead of working the senior bowl. He does not give a crap about the team. If he did he would at least pretend to be a real NFL GM.
Jerry was at the senior bowl. I dont think stephen was.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I remember hearing from Jimmy Johnson's former players, stating that he'd call them into his office and tell them Jimmy's expectations Jimmy didn't want to hear about what the player had going on in his life. Including family, outside employment, and lifestyles. He'd tell them if it's not about "winning football games" then they can kiss all that other stuff goodbye.

I concur with Jimmy. I don't care about what these players do via Twitter and what self promotion they got hustling. All I care about is us winning a 6th Super Bowl. Everything else is "nonsense."

I hope MM will instill this same attitude in this team.
Mike isnt Jimmy, so dont hope too much.
I just hope he will be tougher than JG.

blur2122

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson is my favorite all-time coach. But let's not forget one simple truth - those early 90s Cowboys teams were just better than anyone else. Jimmy inherited the #1 pick in the draft (Troy), and then pulled off the genius Herschel Walker trade (which brought in Emmitt, Darren Woodson, Russell Maryland and Kevin Smith among a total of what turned into something like 13 total draft picks). Give Jimmy full credit for that. He also coached in the pre-free agency era where players literally could not leave even if they wanted to.

So, yes, give Jimmy credit for being inspirational, giving great speeches, and being a brilliant motivator and tactician. But I think it's short-sighted to attribute that success to him convincing players "to want it more", or to even assume they did want it more. Sometimes raw talent looks a lot like motivation.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Ten years of the same ole same ole.

It didn't matter how many good players this team had because every year they would only perform on how it was coached. MEDICORE! Coach McCarthy no doubt, will change this teams attitude.
I guess MR. discount Double check never had endorsements ?

that 70s coke commercial Hey kid jersey throw? I guess they were focused..

the better the player the more endorsements and its not a reason they are losing games..coaches arent controlling what players do in the free time especially their ability to make more money..fame comes with it

its a bit more crazy now a days with SM and the internet but this had been going on in every era..

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Mike isnt Jimmy, so dont hope too much.
I just hope he will be tougher than JG.
Jimmy wouldn't be Jimmy in this day and age.
He wouldn't be allowed to be the Jimmy of old via the CBA alone and let's not even get into this generation of athletes and social media.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Our GM is getting hammered on his yacht instead of working the senior bowl. He does not give a crap about the team. If he did he would at least pretend to be a real NFL GM.
I am OK he is staying away from the Senior Bowl frankly.

I do not want to see him feeling the need to do that anymore.

This is interesting to me.

Maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks.

foofighters

Reaction score
I remember hearing from Jimmy Johnson's former players, stating that he'd call them into his office and tell them Jimmy's expectations Jimmy didn't want to hear about what the player had going on in his life. Including family, outside employment, and lifestyles. He'd tell them if it's not about "winning football games" then they can kiss all that other stuff goodbye.

I concur with Jimmy. I don't care about what these players do via Twitter and what self promotion they got hustling. All I care about is us winning a 6th Super Bowl. Everything else is "nonsense."

I hope MM will instill this same attitude in this team.
Gotta let it go. The player of today is more concerned about “lifestyle” than winning.

kskboys

Reaction score
Fans care more about winning than players. The sooner everyone accepts that, the happier everyone will be.
Disagree completely.

I actually don't care all the much what the players care about.

GMO415

Reaction score
I believe McCarthy will get the player's minds right. This "out for self" attitude that festered under Garrett will be eliminated.

I think Jerry blew it. If we would have had MM this past season, we wouldn't have lost to crippled teams like NO, NE, GB, and the Jets.

We're about to see the true greatness this team's talent can produce.