Message to the players- When's it going to be about championships?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Fans care more about winning than players. The sooner everyone accepts that, the happier everyone will be.
Right

The NFL has become the greatest Sports Entertainment entity thanks to its greatest Contributor who brilliantly orchestrated eliminating winning on the field as necessary for financial success.

Now all that’s necessary is presenting a public perception winning is a priority.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Right

The NFL has become the greatest Sports Entertainment entity thanks to its greatest Contributor who brilliantly orchestrated eliminating winning on the field as necessary for financial success.

Now all that’s necessary is presenting a public perception winning is a priority.
Owners don't care about winning either.

Jerry cares more than most.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Isn’t this entire site about people giving their opinions?
So was it McClays idea to get Jaylon? That has Jerry written all over it.

What about Taco? That was horrible.

Hardy? More Jerry.

LVE? More Jerry. There was a reason he didn’t go higher and the warning signs were there, he may very well be one hit away from a career ending injury.

I'm sure McClay had input in all of them. The notion that guys who pan out is all McClay and those who don't are Jerry is laughable. You say Jaylon had Jerry written all over it? lol how so? Jerry will have final say on any and all picks but still put a lot of trust into what McCray has to say.

cowboygo

Reaction score
I remember hearing from Jimmy Johnson's former players, stating that he'd call them into his office and tell them Jimmy's expectations Jimmy didn't want to hear about what the player had going on in his life. Including family, outside employment, and lifestyles. He'd tell them if it's not about "winning football games" then they can kiss all that other stuff goodbye.

I concur with Jimmy. I don't care about what these players do via Twitter and what self promotion they got hustling. All I care about is us winning a 6th Super Bowl. Everything else is "nonsense."

I hope MM will instill this same attitude in this team.
I really felt the attitude & mentality michael bennett brought to the team is the kind we need. We need a premier new face to come into the building and shake things up. A veteran that's been there before, its gonna cost us, but I do think we need that new fire.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I don't think any Cowboy fan thinks that. Everyone in the 90s realizes we won with a bunch of people who weren't "character" guys. That is why people hated JG acting like he needed RKG everywhere. I didn't care what Irvin or Hayley did as long as they dominated on Sunday. That is what I miss. The 70s Cowboys were the same way and had characters of their own. The point of this thread, I think, is that I don't care what they want to call themselves or act like, just show up on Sunday and win and all of this will seem fun. But when lawsuits over HotBoyz seem more important than showing up on Sunday I have an issue. The 90s team could have been the worst group of people on earth but most knew that 1) Jimmy had them ready and 2) They were hungry to win.
I agree with much of what you said, but it’s the off-season now for 29 teams. D-Law is, I suppose, still working since he’s at the pro bowl. If he sends out some tweets about the Hot Boyz, I can’t work up enough self-righteous indignation to be outraged considering my favorite Cowboy of all time, Michael Irvin stabbed a teammate te over an argument about a haircut.

I knowingly chose to mode past that and still love Michael, but it, among other things, made me aware that many of my football heroes weren’t really heroes at all

but here we have a vocal minority of our fans furious about a little side hustle by D-Law that was built on the idea of players holding each other accountable to themselves, their families and one another, but being totally ok with incidents like those listed in the thread

I’m totally down with wanting to win above all else
I’m even down with wanting to win even if our heroes are actually anything but

I’m *not* down with the hypocritical bullsh that gets spouted on this board every day about how our current players are all scumbags (except for Lee, LVE, Heath, Witten ... ...) while players of the past are revered with all sins forgiven.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I'm sure McClay had input in all of them. The notion that guys who pan out is all McClay and those who don't are Jerry is laughable. You say Jaylon had Jerry written all over it? lol how so? Jerry will have final say on any and all picks but still put a lot of trust into what McCray has to say.
I don’t get the Jaylon hate. I’d say he’s done pretty well as a second round pick. There are a bunch of 2nds who are complete failures in comparison

plymkr

Reaction score
I can imagine Jimmy having full knowledge of “The White House” and doing absolutely nothing about it.

Selective memory makes for a nice “hot take” but doesn’t often stand up to scrutiny:

As to Haley, he was more likely to take a leak on their car than fight them, although he was a notorious bully and an all around awful human being.. In fact, he did just that to a teammate. He also took a swing at his head coach (Seifert). Wonder if “Iron Jimmy” would have put up with that? I imagine he would Have done nothing at all..

Troy commented on the infamous “asthma field” incident just a couple of weeks ago after Jimmy was announced for the HOF. He said that Jimmy picked his moments to explode and that it was calculated. He said that it was intentional to blow up on a no-name camp body but would have been never done that with a star player.

we all like to talk about the good ol days and how everything was different back then and how stuff would never be tolerated

The “Landry Mob” went insane when Jerry and Jimmy came in. After all, Landry was pure class and ran a class operation. Don’t worry about when the owner was taking money from the mob and gambling on Cowboy games, or when Hollywood was snorting coke during games from a dispenser he had in his pants, and don’t forget about the points shaving allegations with White, Dorsett, Hill and Springs.

The “Jimmy Mob” go crazy about everything since except maybe Parcells, except for the White House where Erik Williams, Irvin and company basically had a real life Caligula scene going on that *everyone* knew about and that was just one of many. Jimmy’s watched had some of the most debauched and criminal stuff ever going on and he knew about all of it. In additional to Haley, Williams was arrested for battery of a woman twice and had the infamous dui when he crashed into a truck. Nates domestic violence. Irvin stabbed a teammate in the neck on the practice field with a pair of scissors and could have killed him

Now, we will likely see the “Garrett Mob” poke their heads up at the first sign of trouble with McCarthy and talk about how Garrett always focused on finding the right type of guys with high character. Then we have Brent who killed a teammate, Dez who beat up his own mother, Hardy who beat up a women and threw her on a pile of guns, etc etc

Every era has their loyalist who remember everything in perfect detail except for the ugly ones. Everyone talks about Parcells being such a hardass but overlook the fact that he enabled Lawrence Taylor’s drug use for years and never took meaningful action.

How many of those named above were cut? The answer is none.

it’s the same now as it was then but now we have the internet to moan about it

And here we are, a bunch of hypocrites ranting about Demarcus Lawrence tweeting about the Hot Boyz. Let me know when he kills someone, beats up a woman or breaks a dozen laws in a single day like happened in the “good old days” when players had such strong character and I may consider being outraged along with you.
I don't have selective memory. What I remember is winning back to back super bowls. I never said Jimmy's players should be idolized as role models. This thread is about when will the players care about championships.

So let me know when DLaw wins back to back super bowls then we'll discuss his off the field behavior.

plymkr

Reaction score
And Michael Irvin would show up hung over and be puking during practice, Emmitt Smith would routinely fall asleep during meetings, and Charles Haley would show up naked and perform certain acts.
Back to back super bowls. If DLaw and Jaylon win back to back SB then they can do this stupid crap. When you're not winning then it's harder to watch. Like John Madden always said, "Winning is a great deodorant".

willia451

Reaction score
Right

sBnyeqS.jpg

aria

Reaction score
Because Jerry is known to gamble on injured players and players with character issues. If McClay is truly making those decisions or even recommending those decisions/players than he’s not nearly as smart as people give him credit for.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Because Jerry is known to gamble on injured players and players with character issues. If McClay is truly making those decisions or even recommending those decisions/players than he’s not nearly as smart as people give him credit for.
Right

Jerry is still the final word while Will, Jason and Stephen were influences.

But most likely the high risk were more on Jerry since he’s stated before that’s why he wants to be GM is that he can take these high risk that normal GM would have to be more accountable for.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
It’s still relevant because it’s been the driving force behind Jerry since Jimmy departed.
Lol, it's not relevant b/c a) it's just speculation and b) if the point is whether or not he cares about winning, then the why doesn't really matter.