Message to the players- When's it going to be about championships?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I remember hearing from Jimmy Johnson's former players, stating that he'd call them into his office and tell them Jimmy's expectations Jimmy didn't want to hear about what the player had going on in his life. Including family, outside employment, and lifestyles. He'd tell them if it's not about "winning football games" then they can kiss all that other stuff goodbye.

I concur with Jimmy. I don't care about what these players do via Twitter and what self promotion they got hustling. All I care about is us winning a 6th Super Bowl. Everything else is "nonsense."

I hope MM will instill this same attitude in this team.

i have no problem with insisting all other business dealings are backseats to the Cowboys and winning, but I do have a problem saying that a player's family concerns and issues are to be forgotten about while playing for the Cowboys. The player's family was there long before the Cowboys and will be there long after the Cowboys. To many people including players, family is the most important thing to them. I'm not saying that a player's family member has some kind of thing like a kid and a school concert and dad can't go because of his responsibilities to the Cowboys. That happens with a lot of people that have to work and miss family events. But if a family member is seriously ill, maybe has cancer, to think that a player is supposed to just block that out and forget it for win team win is ridiculous.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Because Jerry is known to gamble on injured players and players with character issues. If McClay is truly making those decisions or even recommending those decisions/players than he’s not nearly as smart as people give him credit for.

again all picks go through Jerry. Yes Dallas took a chance on Jaylon and did a lot of homework on him before they pulled the trigger. The doctor who performed with surgery was involved with the organization. I think Jaylon has done well since his recovery. As for McCray I don't expect every pick to hit, I don't know of any team who do not miss on picks every year via the draft but for the most part I like the job they have done in getting good players.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Lol, it's not relevant b/c a) it's just speculation and b) if the point is whether or not he cares about winning, then the why doesn't really matter.
Because he’s only interested winning his way which is more than speculation.

If winning was top priority excluding his personal agendas and passions then he’d run Cowboys Football more like the rest of the leagues owners.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
again all picks go through Jerry. Yes Dallas took a chance on Jaylon and did a lot of homework on him before they pulled the trigger. The doctor who performed with surgery was involved with the organization. I think Jaylon has done well since his recovery. As for McCray I don't expect every pick to hit, I don't know of any team who do not miss on picks every year via the draft but for the most part I like the job they have done in getting good players.
Wouldn’t you agree Jerry takes more of these high risk than other GM’s?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Because he’s only interested winning his way which is more than speculation.

If winning was top priority excluding his personal agendas and passions then he’d run Cowboys Football more like the rest of the leagues owners.
"Only interested in winning his way" is 100% the way that every owner in sports operates. Jerry actually wants to win, which is more that you can say for probably half of them.

Most of the rest of the league's owners are worse.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
"Only interested in winning his way" is 100% the way that every owner in sports operates. Jerry actually wants to win, which is more that you can say for probably half of them.

Most of the rest of the league's owners are worse.
His way includes being owner and GM which the rest of the leagues owners don’t operate In such manner.

This makes Jerry IMO the worst owner when it comes to Football operations because he becomes the biggest obstacle to overcome.

CIWhitefish

Reaction score
The problem is Jimmy was coaching 25 years ago and the league is now all about marketing. The players are being payed so much money and are no longer allowed to put game changing hits on each other and play violently to intimidate other players. Years ago the way to beat a guy like Mahommes was hit him hard an hit him often and keep hitting him. Your never gonna see that again. Teams would run the ball more just to keep the QB from taking too many hits. With the media and the marketing the NFL is just about like professional wrestling.

100% true. Too many things have changed to ever 'go back to how it was in the 90s'. It will never be like that again. What you have to hope for today is to find a few guys with the character to will men to move, stay healthy, and get lucky...unless your'e a legend like BB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
100% true. Too many things have changed to ever 'go back to how it was in the 90s'. It will never be like that again. What you have to hope for today is to find a few guys with the character to will men to move, stay healthy, and get lucky...unless your'e a legend like BB.
Who it’s still yet to proven if BB can do it without Brady.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
His way includes being owner and GM which the rest of the leagues owners don’t operate In such manner.

This makes Jerry IMO the worst owner when it comes to Football operations because he becomes the biggest obstacle to overcome.
It doesn't matter. Do you honestly believe that owners don't have final say when it comes to writing checks? lol

Jerry's flaw is that he held on to Jason Garrett too long. Everything else is solid, and the complaints about him are extremely exaggerated.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Our GM is getting hammered on his yacht instead of working the senior bowl. He does not give a crap about the team. If he did he would at least pretend to be a real NFL GM.

And you were there with Jones every minute so you know exactly how much time he spent on his yacht and how much time he spent with the rest of his staff watching players. All you've done is took a headline that stated that Jones has his yacht in Miami for the Super Bowl and then you used that to TRY to use that to infer that Jones wasn't doing anything at the senior bowl. Even if what you said is true, not every GM in the league is there because GM's do rely on what scouts and coaches recommendations are when making decisions about players.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I remember hearing from Jimmy Johnson's former players, stating that he'd call them into his office and tell them Jimmy's expectations Jimmy didn't want to hear about what the player had going on in his life. Including family, outside employment, and lifestyles. He'd tell them if it's not about "winning football games" then they can kiss all that other stuff goodbye.

I concur with Jimmy. I don't care about what these players do via Twitter and what self promotion they got hustling. All I care about is us winning a 6th Super Bowl. Everything else is "nonsense."

He has got a lot of work to do to change the culture. Many of these players have no idea about accountability. It will be a struggle.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Meanwhile, back on the farm...

The Players Lounge spending the entire first 15 min. segment of their time this morning fuss'n & discuss'n 'bout the "Hot Boyz" brand. The 49ers DBs are calling themselves the "Hot Boyzz" and its got DLaw's attention. Jaylon got dragged into the discussion wearing his Hot Boyz gear in Orlando while representing for the Pro Bowl. It must be the offseason for the Cowboys!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It doesn't matter. Do you honestly believe that owners don't have final say when it comes to writing checks? lol

Jerry's flaw is that he held on to Jason Garrett too long. Everything else is solid, and the complaints about him are extremely exaggerated.
Jerry’s flaws go well back before Jason’s tenure.

aria

Reaction score
Jaylon looked horrible last season, they also took a risk on LVE who also seemed to regress a bit and now is potentially one hit away from a career ending injury. We all know Hardy was Jerry. I can almost guarantee Zeke was Jerry, very few GM’s in their right mind would draft a RB that high, especially one with as many red flags as he had.

Original point being, McClay be good at evaluating talent but what good does it do if the GM/Jerry over rides his decisions to take these risks?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Jaylon looked horrible last season, they also took a risk on LVE who also seemed to regress a bit and now is potentially one hit away from a career ending injury. We all know Hardy was Jerry. I can almost guarantee Zeke was Jerry, very few GM’s in their right mind would draft a RB that high, especially one with as many red flags as he had.

Original point being, McClay be good at evaluating talent but what good does it do if the GM/Jerry over rides his decisions to take these risks?

Yeah all bad picks are Jerry and any good pick was someone else. lol yeah that is how it works, at least in some fans mind. Any player brought in , is only signed if Jerry signs off on it period. McClay does not sign anyone, he scouts them and brings in his evaluation and either Jones signs off on it or he doesn't. I will never remove blame from Jerry, any failure of this team rest with him but this crap of Oh Jerry had nothing to do with it? Give me a break he owns the damn team and no one plays without the final nod of Jerry Jones. Like it or not

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lo

Lol!!! I'm sure Roger Staubach put wins in front of his family!!! :facepalm:

GMO415

Reaction score
Fans care more about winning than players. The sooner everyone accepts that, the happier everyone will be.
I get that but ask the same to SF and KC..... they'll say winning at ALL cost.