"Mexico's Team" Per ESPN

HoustonSucks

Reaction score
I was dumb enough to leave the TV on ESPN as I finish up some work and they did a story on a guy in Monterrey who does tours to the games and how Mexico has a HUGE Cowboys fanbase. It was a charming story (minus the mandatory Tony Romo jab) until the end when the reporter says... now America's favorite team is Denver. Sorry, Dallas. But take heart, at least you're Mexico's favorite team. I'm not Mexican but I find the whole thing completely offensive in the manner in which the reporter presented it. Did anyone else see this? What is that STUPID poll they did that said Denver is America's team because I believe GOOGLE or someone did another that clearly showed the demographics of Dallas having more fans spread throughout the states.

Anyway, rambling because I'm annoyed and shouldn't be watching this channel.

blumayne38

Reaction score
i felt the same way, they give it away at the end it was done to mock the cowboys....they end it with "they cowboys arent americas team" "there mexicos team" or something like that

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
I was dumb enough to leave the TV on ESPN as I finish up some work and they did a story on a guy in Monterrey who does tours to the games and how Mexico has a HUGE Cowboys fanbase. It was a charming story (minus the mandatory Tony Romo jab) until the end when the reporter says... now America's favorite team is Denver. Sorry, Dallas. But take heart, at least you're Mexico's favorite team. I'm not Mexican but I find the whole thing completely offensive in the manner in which the reporter presented it. Did anyone else see this? What is that STUPID poll they did that said Denver is America's team because I believe GOOGLE or someone did another that clearly showed the demographics of Dallas having more fans spread throughout the states.

Yeah. They did this piece about two or three weeks ago. I guess they needed to show it a second time since beating up the Eagles to make sure everyone knows where ESPN stands.

blumayne38

Reaction score
it really was horrible even ragging the seats that they had....one lady was like "there in the stadium, we dont get to see a stadium like this" , such douch bags

HoustonSucks

Reaction score
i felt the same way, they give it away at the end it was done to mock the cowboys....they end it with "they cowboys arent americas team" "there mexicos team" or something like that

And like it was pathetic they would sit in a bus 14 hours to get to Dallas - that's the PULL of our fanbase. No one is going to sit in a bus 14 hours to watch the freaking Jaguars for example. It just was truly offensive and also you're right. they kinda pull you in thinking it's a neat piece but then they screw you at the end with their agenda. Unbelievable.

Frozen700

Reaction score
Denver is Americas team, yet they can't keep our names out of their mouth almost every segment.

They need to wipe the side of their mouths before they claim we aren't Americas team, and stop pretending they aren't on the cowboys you know what.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Yeah that was that sniveling Rick Reilly's piece. Not only was it condescending towards the Cowboys it was snidely insulting to Mexicans.

Guess what Rick - outside your ivory tower there are real folks in two countries who work hard to save money for a trip to see THEIR team.

I'm proud we are Mexico's team as well as America's team. And I'll say this - the Cowboys bring fans of all races and nationalities together more than any other American team in ANY sport. Even soccer here it's just suburban kids.

jday

Reaction score

Here is my issue with all these polls I have seen as of late suggesting what teams are preferred nationally: I don't recall anyone asking me. If I wasn't asked, I can safely assume there are other Cowboys fans who were not asked, which suggest their data very well may be skewed.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ironically, Talkin' Cowboys was discussing the ratings for Sunday night's game. It was the highest rated NBC primetime show since the Oscars. This led them to talk about the popularity of the team. Over 24 million people watched us throttle the Eagles.

Ring Leader

Reaction score
If Denver is the new America's team then:

Cincinnati's defense is the new "Orange Crush"
Baltimore's D is the new Purple People Eaters
Detroit's front 4 is the new "Fearsome Foursome"
Dallas is the new No Name Defense
The Chargers are the new Electric Company
New Orleans is now Who Dey
Cincinnati is now Who Dat

Any other nicknames up for idiotic "flavor of the week" grabs?

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually, by that definition, Peyton Manning is "America's Team", not Denver. Before Manning (well, and Tebow), there were few Broncos fans outside their target market. When Manning retires, Denver will drop back down again.

Any time you have a friend who lives far away from the Broncos or Patriots and tells you they are a lifelong fan of one of those teams, the next time you see them in person, ask them to describe the logo their team had on their helmets before they switched to the current one. :D

Titleist

Reaction score
I don't see why some people (especially East Coasters) use "Mexico's team" as an insult. If the Cowboys are indeed popular in another country, then that just speaks to our success on and off the field. Plus way more fans than your sorry team. Geez

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
denver America's team? yeah right. they have to have winning seasons to be loved. Cowboys can loose, have an 18 year SB drought, be mediocore and still have more fans and haters than that team. Denver nor any other team will ever be able to replicate that level of attention. the Cowboys mystic is mutlilayered and multifaceted skyscrapper high rise. Denver's is just 3 stories with one stairway and a crappy basement. No competition at all. the folks who keep repeating that denver is americas teams mantra are so shortsighted its laughable. come talk to us when denver looses manning and they only win one playoff game in 18 years and still keep or gain more fans like the boys franchise has been able to do.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
Denver is Americas team, yet they can't keep our names out of their mouth almost every segment.

They need to wipe the side of their mouths before they claim we aren't Americas team, and stop pretending they aren't on the cowboys you know what.

Love it!
We gonna give them a reason to talk about us when we walk into these playoffs with our "bunch of guys" and the Romocoaster.
Respect the star:star:

Turtle0986

Reaction score
I tend to wonder were and why they do these "who is what" type polls, but then again no shock ESPN used it to bash the Cowboys. I say and always will that we are Americas Team, and if we have big fan bases in other countries then more power to the Cowboys