CFZ Micah Parsons' draft profile from 2021 has been amazingly accurate

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is no doubt Micah Parsons is a tremendous NFL talent. Already a great pass rush threat and just a beast of an athlete, Parsons has been great most of the time, although has seemingly disappeared in some of the biggest games against SF twice in the playoffs and GB last year.

I recently reviewed Parsons’ pre-draft profile from 2021 and it seems pretty accurate. I want to look at what they said were his strengths as well as his weaknesses on and off the field from multiple sources:

STRENGTHS FROM DRAFT PROFILE:
  • Amazing speed at his pro day, clocking a 4.36 forty.
  • Explosive change of direction skills
  • Has foot quickness and change of direction of a running back.
  • Can overcome mental mistakes with explosive athleticism.
  • Size and strength to free himself from blocks.
  • Excellent twitch for lateral gap-to-gap peek-a-boo skill looking for ball-carrier.
  • Wrap-up tackler with limited broken tackles on his bill.
  • Talented hunter when blitz is dialed up.
  • Able to bend and flatten to quarterback as edge rusher.
  • Gains instant depth dropping into coverage.
  • Athletic talent to handle man coverage duties.
WEAKNESSES FROM DRAFT PROFILE
  • Can be immature and high-maintenance at times.
  • Runs himself out of position with unnecessary early charges.
  • Quick to run rather than scrape with square pads.
  • Has issues battling downhill rushing attacks coming right at him.
  • Loses gap leverage side-stepping lead blocks.
  • Film-study habits need to get better.
  • May need guidance from coaches and veteran players alike to mature.
Looking at this pre-draft profile three years later, it seems amazingly accurate. I’m interested in the first and last bullets from the weaknesses list. The one that says, “May need guidance from coaches and veteran players alike to mature” seems completely on target. So who are the veteran players and coaches who will step up in the maturation process?

Sources: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/micah-parsons/32005041-5275-3418-9a2d-9826287ee445
https://www.nfl.com/videos/2021-nfl-draft-scouting-report-micah-parsons
https://sports.yahoo.com/2021-nfl-d...ed-but-carries-elite-potential-180503685.html

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
So who are the veteran players and coaches who will step up in the maturation process?
I guess I am a minority coz I don't see the big deal.......he loves talking and interacting with people ( all people ) but on the field, he's playing at an ALL-PRO level and please don't give me the disappearing in the playoff card, that's lazy.

No question, he had some serious immature issues in college but I think he has grown a lot.

https://www.si.com/college/pennstat...perceived-character-issues-ahead-of-nfl-draft

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess I am a minority coz I don't see the big deal.......he loves talking and interacting with people ( all people ) but on the field, he's playing at an ALL-PRO level and please don't give me the disappearing in the playoff card, that's lazy.
There’s no doubt Parsons has been awesome overall. But the greatest players usually play their best games on the biggest stages. Parsons has HOF ability but has yet to show that talent when it has mattered most. He certainly has time to change that.

He’s still very young and still has lots to learn. But he does need to grow up some. Most of us do (or did) at aged 24. The question remains, will he be motivated to grow and mature some more to be more effective? Is he teachable and able to learn from mentors and coaches? We will see.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
There’s no doubt Parsons has been awesome overall. But the greatest players usually play their best games on the biggest stages. Parsons has HOF ability but has yet to show that talent when it has mattered most. He certainly has time to change that.

He’s still very young and still has lots to learn. But he does need to grow up some. Most of us do (or did) at aged 24. The question remains, will he be motivated to grow and mature some more to be more effective? Is he teachable and able to learn from mentors and coaches? We will see.
He's one the of the hardest-working players on the team during the offseason. He has worked out with several current and former players and coaches to improve his craft but many still question his work ethic. No question he has some maturity issues but as stated at 24 that's expected a bit. Hell, as long as he's playing at an ALL-PRO level, I will take that every day.

https://www.pennlive.com/highschool...ve-tackle-who-just-spent-3-days-with-him.html

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's one the of the hardest-working players on the team during the offseason. He has worked out with several current and former players and coaches to improve his craft but many still question his work ethic. No question he has some maturity issues but as stated at 24 that's expected a bit. Hell, as long as he's playing at an ALL-PRO level, I will take that every day.

https://www.pennlive.com/highschool...ve-tackle-who-just-spent-3-days-with-him.html
I have never questioned MP’s talent or work ethic. But his off field stuff even has some teammates wishing he would back off the podcasts and amount of social media. Great performances in big games would give him more grace in that area. His disappearance in the biggest moments takes away some grace he might have for his off field choices.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I have never questioned MP’s talent or work ethic. But his off field stuff even has some teammates wishing he would back off the podcasts and amount of social media. Great performances in big games would give him more grace in that area. His disappearance in the biggest moments takes away some grace he might have for his off field choices.
I agree but I think the disappearance thing is being overplayed a bit. Let's not forget he was first ALL-PRO hid first two years. That is the ultimate respect from his teammates and peers around the league. That doesn't happen if he is disappearing as much as some Cowboys fan would have you believe. Something else rarely mentioned is the impact of coaches and playcalling, how are they managing his snaps? It's not hard to see he is gassed at the end of some games. Hell, who wouldn't be if you're chasing TEs and RBs on one series and fighting 300lb+ Olinemen on another one? These are things hardly mentioned but some fans are quick to imply he's quitting or not playing as hard and I don't see that at all.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree but I think the disappearance thing is being overplayed a bit. Let's not forget he was first ALL-PRO hid first two years. That is the ultimate respect from his teammates and peers around the league. That doesn't happen if he is disappearing as much as some Cowboys fan would have you believe. Something else rarely mentioned is the impact of coaches and playcalling, how are they managing his snaps? It's not hard to see he is gassed at the end of some games. Hell, who wouldn't be if you're chasing TEs and RBs on one series and fighting 300lb+ Olinemen on another one? These are things hardly mentioned but some fans are quick to imply he's quitting or not playing as hard and I don't see that at all.
I agree with you that he may be getting some unfair heat. But there’s plenty he deserves. If he wants to be an all time great, he needs to show a greater commitment.

Put it even simpler, MP’s 2021 pre-draft profile hit the nail on the head on both his strengths and his weaknesses. Three years ago the first plus about him was his incredible athletic ability and the first red flag about him was his immaturity and need for mentoring.

My point in this thread is that both his pre-draft positives and weaknesses have proven to remain true. He’s a great athletic talent who needs to mature.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
* goes AWOL in December and January.....but resurfaces in February and March appearing in Sumo and Boxing videos.
While skipping team functions. Who needs leaders anyway when you have swag to peddle, podcasts to stream, and celebrity stunts like sumo wrestling when you should be with your team?

Cowboys5217

Reaction score

How about show up and be a leader to your team rather than going your own way?

That ALL-PRO level sure doesn't show up in the playoffs. Maybe he would be better prepared and conditioned for the playoffs if he showed up to ALL team practices and workouts rather than be a celebrity playing with sumo wrestlers.

Praxit

Reaction score
....three of the seven weaknesses can be attributed to immaturity.

Which means, we have problems ahead. If some mentor doesn't intervene, at some point.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
How about show up and be a leader to your team rather than going your own way?

That ALL-PRO level sure doesn't show up in the playoffs. Maybe he would be better prepared and conditioned for the playoffs if he showed up to ALL team practices and workouts rather than be a celebrity playing with sumo wrestlers.
:facepalm:

DoctorChicken

Reaction score

No question, he had some serious immature issues in college but I think he has grown a lot.

https://www.si.com/college/pennstat...perceived-character-issues-ahead-of-nfl-draft
I believe this situation is not as big a deal as people are making it out to be. But a lot of things aren't these days.

I feel like if Micah was some JAG, nobody would care about any of this. It is because he is an elite player that people expect more of him "off the field", and want him to be a leader on it. I do.

Sometimes I wonder if people would care about it as much if he and the rest of the team didn't completely soil themselves against those Cheesy Boys in January.

Not to say that Micah isn't an immature guys who likes the spotlight and wants to control the narrative around him. He seems exactly like that guy.

But I'll deal with it if it means 14 sacks a year and one of the best pressure rates of any player in the NFL. He's an impact player. To put it bluntly, teams make excuses for women beaters if they're talented enough, but Micah being a diva with a podcast is too much for the Dallas freaking Cowboys to handle?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
There is no doubt Micah Parsons is a tremendous NFL talent. Already a great pass rush threat and just a beast of an athlete, Parsons has been great most of the time, although has seemingly disappeared in some of the biggest games against SF twice in the playoffs and GB last year.

I recently reviewed Parsons’ pre-draft profile from 2021 and it seems pretty accurate. I want to look at what they said were his strengths as well as his weaknesses on and off the field from multiple sources:

STRENGTHS FROM DRAFT PROFILE:
  • Amazing speed at his pro day, clocking a 4.36 forty.
  • Explosive change of direction skills
  • Has foot quickness and change of direction of a running back.
  • Can overcome mental mistakes with explosive athleticism.
  • Size and strength to free himself from blocks.
  • Excellent twitch for lateral gap-to-gap peek-a-boo skill looking for ball-carrier.
  • Wrap-up tackler with limited broken tackles on his bill.
  • Talented hunter when blitz is dialed up.
  • Able to bend and flatten to quarterback as edge rusher.
  • Gains instant depth dropping into coverage.
  • Athletic talent to handle man coverage duties.
WEAKNESSES FROM DRAFT PROFILE
  • Can be immature and high-maintenance at times.
  • Runs himself out of position with unnecessary early charges.
  • Quick to run rather than scrape with square pads.
  • Has issues battling downhill rushing attacks coming right at him.
  • Loses gap leverage side-stepping lead blocks.
  • Film-study habits need to get better.
  • May need guidance from coaches and veteran players alike to mature.
Looking at this pre-draft profile three years later, it seems amazingly accurate. I’m interested in the first and last bullets from the weaknesses list. The one that says, “May need guidance from coaches and veteran players alike to mature” seems completely on target. So who are the veteran players and coaches who will step up in the maturation process?

Sources: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/micah-parsons/32005041-5275-3418-9a2d-9826287ee445
https://www.nfl.com/videos/2021-nfl-draft-scouting-report-micah-parsons
https://sports.yahoo.com/2021-nfl-d...ed-but-carries-elite-potential-180503685.html
Spot on!!! One of my big things every year is that he runs himself out of position, to me that's from chasing sacks on every play