CFZ Micah Parsons' draft profile from 2021 has been amazingly accurate

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
He's one the of the hardest-working players on the team during the offseason. He has worked out with several current and former players and coaches to improve his craft but many still question his work ethic. No question he has some maturity issues but as stated at 24 that's expected a bit. Hell, as long as he's playing at an ALL-PRO level, I will take that every day.

https://www.pennlive.com/highschool...ve-tackle-who-just-spent-3-days-with-him.html
The majority of guys are working out or should be that you don't get to see because they don't have such a big name

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Part of his immaturity is his stubbornness. I don’t think people can tell him anything.
A second part is he still doesn’t see or own his weaknesses; he believes his athleticism will overcome everything, including prioritizing getting away from the team instead of working with them in OTAs and not putting in the time for film study, along with thinking stopping the run is for other guys.

Players with great athleticism and maturity recognize the importance of team and work on their weaknesses both for the team and because athleticism eventually fades, and you better have developed other aspects of your game.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I believe this situation is not as big a deal as people are making it out to be. But a lot of things aren't these days.

I feel like if Micah was some JAG, nobody would care about any of this. It is because he is an elite player that people expect more of him "off the field", and want him to be a leader on it. I do.

Sometimes I wonder if people would care about it as much if he and the rest of the team didn't completely soil themselves against those Cheesy Boys in January.

Not to say that Micah isn't an immature guys who likes the spotlight and wants to control the narrative around him. He seems exactly like that guy.

But I'll deal with it if it means 14 sacks a year and one of the best pressure rates of any player in the NFL. He's an impact player. To put it bluntly, teams make excuses for women beaters if they're talented enough, but Micah being a diva with a podcast is too much for the Dallas freaking Cowboys to handle?
Exactly....well said
I mean I'm sure he wishes he had played better in the GB game but so much is now being made about the individual play during the postseason, the truth is teams win playoff games, not individual players. That is why the margin during the post-season is razor-thin. Damn near impossible to hide team weaknesses. One player can't make up for that, he just can't. Honestly, he's an outspoken cocky kid and I think that rubs some fans the wrong way. In other words, he is not everyone's cup of tea. Many fans can't let their personal issues with him go and focus on the fact he is one of the top 3, if not the best defensive players in the league.

As mentioned in another thread, it's interesting that JT Watt has never won a playoff game but we don't hear a word about his postseason issues.

kskboys

Reaction score
There is no doubt Micah Parsons is a tremendous NFL talent. Already a great pass rush threat and just a beast of an athlete, Parsons has been great most of the time, although has seemingly disappeared in some of the biggest games against SF twice in the playoffs and GB last year.

I recently reviewed Parsons’ pre-draft profile from 2021 and it seems pretty accurate. I want to look at what they said were his strengths as well as his weaknesses on and off the field from multiple sources:

STRENGTHS FROM DRAFT PROFILE:
  • Amazing speed at his pro day, clocking a 4.36 forty.
  • Explosive change of direction skills
  • Has foot quickness and change of direction of a running back.
  • Can overcome mental mistakes with explosive athleticism.
  • Size and strength to free himself from blocks.
  • Excellent twitch for lateral gap-to-gap peek-a-boo skill looking for ball-carrier.
  • Wrap-up tackler with limited broken tackles on his bill.
  • Talented hunter when blitz is dialed up.
  • Able to bend and flatten to quarterback as edge rusher.
  • Gains instant depth dropping into coverage.
  • Athletic talent to handle man coverage duties.
WEAKNESSES FROM DRAFT PROFILE
  • Can be immature and high-maintenance at times.
  • Runs himself out of position with unnecessary early charges.
  • Quick to run rather than scrape with square pads.
  • Has issues battling downhill rushing attacks coming right at him.
  • Loses gap leverage side-stepping lead blocks.
  • Film-study habits need to get better.
  • May need guidance from coaches and veteran players alike to mature.
Looking at this pre-draft profile three years later, it seems amazingly accurate. I’m interested in the first and last bullets from the weaknesses list. The one that says, “May need guidance from coaches and veteran players alike to mature” seems completely on target. So who are the veteran players and coaches who will step up in the maturation process?

Sources: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/micah-parsons/32005041-5275-3418-9a2d-9826287ee445
https://www.nfl.com/videos/2021-nfl-draft-scouting-report-micah-parsons
https://sports.yahoo.com/2021-nfl-d...ed-but-carries-elite-potential-180503685.html
It was so weird seeing people claim that no one could see his pass rush ability coming. It's all over his scouting report.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Accurate and still correct imo. I just hope that his natural talent and ability that has put him at the top of the game for his position doesn’t also make him not address some of the maturity issues talked about here.

Time will tell. I think he is a good worker, which is positive but he has to be open to working on things that are perceived to be weaknesses of his and not think he’s above approach or only focus on doing what he excels at already

CWR

Reaction score
There is no doubt Micah Parsons is a tremendous NFL talent. Already a great pass rush threat and just a beast of an athlete, Parsons has been great most of the time, although has seemingly disappeared in some of the biggest games against SF twice in the playoffs and GB last year.

I recently reviewed Parsons’ pre-draft profile from 2021 and it seems pretty accurate. I want to look at what they said were his strengths as well as his weaknesses on and off the field from multiple sources:

• Excellent twitch for lateral gap-to-gap peek-a-boo skill looking for ball-carrier.
Looking at this pre-draft profile three years later, it seems amazingly accurate. I’m interested in the first and last bullets from the weaknesses list. The one that says, “May need guidance from coaches and veteran players alike to mature” seems completely on target. So who are the veteran players and coaches who will step up in the maturation process?

Sources: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/micah-parsons/32005041-5275-3418-9a2d-9826287ee445
https://sports.yahoo.com/2021-nfl-d...ed-but-carries-elite-potential-180503685.html
Yeah I don't believe DQ was the right coach to help him "mature." That being said he may completely reject Zimmers style. Zimmer would have had more success if he got to him when he was a rookie imo.

As far as teammates go Dlaw is the only one who may have been capable but I don't believe he was interested. Aside from that I can't really think of any veteran capable leaders on that side of the ball.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The football world: "Red flags!"

Jerry Jones: "I'm a risk taker."

The football world: "Maturity concerns!"

Jerry Jones: "We will coach him up."

Years later....

The Jones: "We are not sure we want to pay him. Lots of concerns about his maturity and attitude."

The football world: "You don't say?"

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Charles Haley has 5 Super Bowl rings. Parsons is a Choir Boy in comparison to Haley.

Jimmy could handle Haley.
- Landry failed to handle Hollywood Henderson.

Jimmy BETTER.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Yeah I don't believe DQ was the right coach to help him "mature." That being said he may completely reject Zimmers style. Zimmer would have had more success if he got to him when he was a rookie imo.

As far as teammates go Dlaw is the only one who may have been capable but I don't believe he was interested. Aside from that I can't really think of any veteran capable leaders on that side of the ball.
Keep in mind sometimes the most respected player in the locker room could be a backup and not an elite or starter.

CWR

Reaction score
Keep in mind sometimes the most respected player in the locker room could be a backup and not an elite or starter.
I understand it may not he the most talented played to lead, but it's typically someone who produces at a high level. It's harder for guys to listen up when a bench player has a lot to say. When it's someone who is out there making plays they automatically have some degree of attention.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It is an interesting question, “Who could serve as a mentor for Parsons?”
It wouldn’t necessarily have to be a current teammate. It could be a retired player or a coach.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly....well said
I mean I'm sure he wishes he had played better in the GB game but so much is now being made about the individual play during the postseason, the truth is teams win playoff games, not individual players. That is why the margin during the post-season is razor-thin. Damn near impossible to hide team weaknesses. One player can't make up for that, he just can't. Honestly, he's an outspoken cocky kid and I think that rubs some fans the wrong way. In other words, he is not everyone's cup of tea. Many fans can't let their personal issues with him go and focus on the fact he is one of the top 3, if not the best defensive players in the league.

As mentioned in another thread, it's interesting that JT Watt has never won a playoff game but we don't hear a word about his postseason issues.

Interesting stuff.
Regarding TJ Watt and the 0-3 playoff record he’s a part of, two points:
  • Without TJW, the Steelers would have never been close to making the playoffs. Their roster talent on offense is pretty weak.
  • Maybe we don’t hear the chatter, but I have a friend who’s a big steeler fan and he says there’s plenty of criticism for Watt from their fan base.
Most fan bases criticize even great players. I remember Roger Staubach getting heat. Troy Aikman was a fan punching bag later in his career. Deion Sanders was always a lightening rod for fans. My point is, great players are always under a microscope. Winning cures all. Losing in the playoffs makes the microscope bigger.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Interesting stuff.
Regarding TJ Watt and the 0-3 playoff record he’s a part of, two points:
  • Without TJW, the Steelers would have never been close to making the playoffs. Their roster talent on offense is pretty weak.
  • Maybe we don’t hear the chatter, but I have a friend who’s a big steeler fan and he says there’s plenty of criticism for Watt from their fan base.
Most fan bases criticize even great players. I remember Roger Staubach getting heat. Troy Aikman was a fan punching bag later in his career. Deion Sanders was always a lightening rod for fans. My point is, great players are always under a microscope. Winning cures all. Losing in the playoffs makes the microscope bigger.
So true.......I remember fans had serious issues with Tony Dorsett partying too much during his first years and living in Tampa during the 80s, Doug Williams was a centerpiece for his speech. So I guess it comes with the territory of greatness.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Micah is a generational talent that is focused on himself (far from the only person in the NFL in that category lol), has maturity issues, and disappears in Dec and Jan.

Is he “worth” a huge contract? Someone will definitely pay him. His presence alters how offenses have to gameplan.

IMO— this is a big year for Micah in the locker room and off the field. Can he emerge as a leader and show some maturity? We will see

Hadenough

Reaction score
For all you people mentioning Parsons disappears in the playoffs. Think real hard about his snap count and he's chasing sack records. Under the right coaching Parsons could be one of the best pass rushers to ever play the game. These dumb *** coaches are letting him play every snap in these blow out games. That just spells worn out by the time the playoffs are here. They did the same with Zeke. Imagine if Parsons had serious DT to push these runs outside. Parsons would be cleaning up. Not many RBs could outrun him. He would be so versatile if he had players around him. Sound familiar?

FVSTONE

Reaction score

There is a good reason why Quinn moved Parsons to an edge rusher position and that's because Quinn knew Parsons would turn out to be an average linebacker at best because of all the weaknesses listed above. As for that great edge rusher, he needs help from the other defensive linemen if he wants to stay one of the top defensive players in the NFL. He disappeared in the second half of last season because the double and triple teams he was up against wore him down. If Parsons can lose his immature and high maintenance attitude maybe his mates might play a little harder to free him up.

ATXSRT

Reaction score
Still amazes me were were able to get him even after trading back. He was clearly the best overall talent in the draft. Boggles my mind. I think it might have been the holdout year with covid that affected his draft stock. Had he played, I doubt he goes beyond the 5th pick.