Micah Parsons has Been Misused

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Most of this forum thinks football is played like it’s 1992.

Then when they draft a player like Mazi Smith they complain lol.

Of course that was a bad pick. If he was good it’s still a bad pick.
This isn’t new.

Most of the board is old and thinks football is 3 yards and a cloud of dust winning football.

And that we need to get fatter on the DL.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
This isn’t new.

Most of the board is old and thinks football is 3 yards and a cloud of dust winning football.

We need MLB’s, Nose Tackles, and Fullbacks with premium picks cause I remember duh 90s.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Micah misused Micah. DQ misused Micah, MM misused Micah. Micah talks alot and delivers small. If u gonna run your mouth during the week, you got dang better be a stud on Sunday. DQ definitely misused him. Thats a fact. He needs traded fast because I can see him becoming a big problem, a disgruntled cancer. He had a few issues like this in college too. Very immature. We can't pay everyone. If we wanna get better on the roster, sometimes you need to do addition by subtraction. Its math really. Wholesale changes are needed, and we can't do that if we keep him. Stupidly, Jerry will pay him, thus hamstringing the team again. I can see Ceedee holding out. Just a hunch.
Jerry has set the precedent that holding out gets players what they want. So, you bet CD will have an extension or go to Cabo during tc

Last edited:

glimmerman

Reaction score
Micah misused Micah. DQ misused Micah, MM misused Micah. Micah talks alot and delivers small. If u gonna run your mouth during the week, you got dang better be a stud on Sunday. DQ definitely misused him. Thats a fact. He needs traded fast because I can see him becoming a big problem, a disgruntled cancer. He had a few issues like this in college too. Very immature. We can't pay everyone. If we wanna get better on the roster, sometimes you need to do addition by subtraction. Its math really. Wholesale changes are needed, and we can't do that if we keep him. Stupidly, Jerry will pay him, thus hamstringing the team again. I can see Ceedee holding out. Just a hunch.
They will have a hard time with Lamb and Parsons contracts. I see both holding out. With a big extension of Dak if they are going to. And I think they will. People here are not going to like it but it is what it is. Your a 12 win a season team. I can understand why JJ sees running it back again. And a lot of pissed off fans on here were also saying earlier in the season stuff like “this season feels different.” I believe this could be our year. I was one that thought it at one point. But I also made a thread after the cards game that this is the same old team. Win some and lose to a team you should beat. Go on a streak again and beat a descent team. And then get obliterated by a team. Honestly the only game i felt i was wrong about was fins game.. I saw us winning that but fins needed to win it to make playoffs and our Defense gave up that last drive easily. After Dak got us from behind winning it.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
Micah Parsons could have been a generational LB instead of a member of a small group of elite DE's.

With Parsons speed, combined with a wider space to operate, Parsons would have been a sure tackler with the capability of getting to either edge of the field.in record time. He would have required some experience to truly reach his potential, but it would have been well worth it.

Instead, Parsons played out of position for someone that is 6'3, 245LBS. For three years he was double teamed often, mauled by a pair of 300 pounders, guys who were 60-100 pounds heavier than himself.

It took its toll. Parsons wore down towards the end of each of his three seasons. By December, there was nothing elite about his level of performance. In that part of the schedule when the big games are played that determine playoff participation and division titles, the Cowboys best player had little left to give.

Want proof?

Here is Micah Parsons average production per game during the first three months of his three combined regular seasons:

Sacks: .96
Combined tackles: 4.68
TFL: 1.18
QB Hits: 2.03
Forced fumbles: .18

Here are the results per game for December and beyond:

Sacks: .50
Combines tackles: 3.38
TFL: .69
QB Hits: 1.25
Forced fumbles: .06

In a combined four playoff games, Micah Parsons has a total of 1 sack.

Nobody is saying that Parsons couldn't rush the passer as a LB, but, as a LB, he should have been the team's leading tackler by far.

This cannot be corrected. It's too late to put him in as a permanent LB and learn the NFL level skillset that HOF LB's possess.

Furthermore, it is very possible that Parsons could begin sliding as soon as next season. Getting beat up every game can do that to a player, just ask Ezekiel Elliott. I'm not predicting it, I am just saying that the possibility increases due to the way he has been used. What we do know, according to his numbers is that he slides every season around the beginning of December when great players are supposed to play great.

It's a tragedy, really. He could have been the next Lawrence Taylor. Instead, it's most likely he will end up the next Jay Ratliff.
a lot of the reason for that is he is really the only true pressure player the cowboys have

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Hard to say he’s being misused with a career high 14 sacks. If he’s not sacking and hitting/affecting the QB then he wouldn’t be the player he is. He wouldn’t make near as many plays or as big an impact if he was used another way.

kskboys

Reaction score
Reading through this thread it’s sad how clueless some of you are about Parsons and his impact.

Some of you need to stop being stat nerds and learn actual football.
That was unnecessary. Might be it's you that's wrong.

HanD

Reaction score
The other thing to maybe consider is some people have extra fast twitch muscles and maybe that impacts their endurance and they wear down faster. Maybe it's just a thing about how his muscle fibers are naturally but I am not in the medical field but I've read and heard of such things.

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
Micah Parsons could have been a generational LB instead of a member of a small group of elite DE's.

With Parsons speed, combined with a wider space to operate, Parsons would have been a sure tackler with the capability of getting to either edge of the field.in record time. He would have required some experience to truly reach his potential, but it would have been well worth it.

Instead, Parsons played out of position for someone that is 6'3, 245LBS. For three years he was double teamed often, mauled by a pair of 300 pounders, guys who were 60-100 pounds heavier than himself.

It took its toll. Parsons wore down towards the end of each of his three seasons. By December, there was nothing elite about his level of performance. In that part of the schedule when the big games are played that determine playoff participation and division titles, the Cowboys best player had little left to give.

Want proof?

Here is Micah Parsons average production per game during the first three months of his three combined regular seasons:

Nobody is saying that Parsons couldn't rush the passer as a LB, but, as a LB, he should have been the team's leading tackler by far.

This cannot be corrected. It's too late to put him in as a permanent LB and learn the NFL level skillset that HOF LB's possess.

Furthermore, it is very possible that Parsons could begin sliding as soon as next season. Getting beat up every game can do that to a player, just ask Ezekiel Elliott. I'm not predicting it, I am just saying that the possibility increases due to the way he has been used. What we do know, according to his numbers is that he slides every season around the beginning of December when great players are supposed to play great.

It's a tragedy, really. He could have been the next Lawrence Taylor. Instead, it's most likely he will end up the next Jay Ratliff.
So we're just not watching him against the run or in coverage, I guess?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Generational player when played as *both* LB and DE.

Has there ever been an elite edge rusher with as much potential as an off the LOS LB?

I can't think of one.

Instead of using Parsons as a great off the LOS LB on base downs, we make him a *liability* in the run game at DE. We just waste so many players.

From LB, Parsons could run blitz, pass blitz, go sideline to sideline, or carry *any* receiver downfield, including WRs.

And the opposing offense couldn't know if Parsons would line up at DE or LB. He'd just cause so many more problems for an offense if he weren't limited to playing DE.

Ken

Reaction score

Want proof?

I disagree with the overall notion that he was misused. We saw the difference in his effectiveness when we play him off the ball vs on the line. He is an absolute terror and teams HAVE to account for him.

I think he would be a pro bowl level, probably all pro as well at LB. He would be so because of his ability to blitz the middle.

He does wear down, he would likely wear down in the middle to. The fact is, blitzing in the middle would wear him down as much as on the outside.

His size isn't the issue...Von Miller is 6'3" 250lbs and no one thinks he wears down or was out of position.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Many of us thought it was obvious from the start.
Last note on Parson's combine profile:
I play him at Will (4-3 weakside linebacker) on early downs and then send him off the edge or in exotic looks on rush downs.

Not the most relevant analysis in the new nickel defense NFL, but still makes the point. Keep smaller edge rushers off the LOS on base downs, *especially* when they can be a great off the ball LB too.

kskboys

Reaction score
This isn’t new.

We need MLB’s, Nose Tackles, and Fullbacks with premium picks cause I remember duh 90s.
And every year, the teams who play in the championship games and super bowl have high quality NT's. But, nooooooooooooooooo, your little idea is better that they don't matter. Reid, Harbaugh, and Shanahan think they do, so you're saying you are better than the best HC's in the game?

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Wonder how much of this was DQ dictating to Micah or the other way around. We all know MP like sacks better than tackles. More money and bigger contracts. He thought he could get 30 sacks a year at DE. I agree would be more of an impact player and leader at LB....much like LT. And he don't even get the holding calls against him. Wasting him at DE.

kskboys

Reaction score
I disagree with the overall notion that he was misused. We saw the difference in his effectiveness when we play him off the ball vs on the line. He is an absolute terror and teams HAVE to account for him.

I think he would be a pro bowl level, probably all pro as well at LB. He would be so because of his ability to blitz the middle.

He does wear down, he would likely wear down in the middle to. The fact is, blitzing in the middle would wear him down as much as on the outside.

His size isn't the issue...Von Miller is 6'3" 250lbs and no one thinks he wears down or was out of position.
As he's pushed aside while the RB's run right by him.

SiCk_DiAbLo

Reaction score
He was drafted as a LB, but Quinn got a thrill up his leg when he could rush the QB, but seeing Micah wear down for 3 years in a row, why couldn't he still be a LB and rush the passer here in there like other teams do??

links18

Reaction score
Micah is not playing out of position. He has just been neutralized as the season went on. Teams figured out they need to run at him, hold him and throw quick passes to negate his speed and tendency to over pursue. What we need are some real LBs at the second level of defense.

craig71

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Reaction score
everything trumps anything fans come up with , you think our coaching staff doesn't understand this?? i agree we need dan Quinn gone and the new scheme to better suit or players plus some new players ie a true big MLB but these dudes been coaching 25-35 years have rings etc..
If you take Aaron Rodgers view of Mike McCarthy, Rodgers seems to believe Mike is football stupid

Quinn blew how big of a lead against the pats?

Anyway, they need to figure a way to get more consistent play from Parsons

To me getting his hand out of the dirt and standing him up would help

I also think you are going to have to pick and choose your spots to stand him up as there are not any free lunches out there

I also think you need to think carefully on his next contract and have a good idea on how he is physically holding up, a speed guy who loses a step can turn into a liability rather quickly

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
He was drafted as a LB, but Quinn got a thrill up his leg when he could rush the QB, but seeing Micah wear down for 3 years in a row, why couldn't he still be a LB and rush the passer here in there like other teams do??
This is why I think Dallas needs to consider moving to a 3-4. Micah would be the ideal OLB in that scheme, like a TJ Watt or Khalil Mack. At 245 pounds Micah is not built to smash into 330 pound offensive tackles 50 times a game for 17 weeks.

In a 3-4 he won't have his hand in the dirt all game, will be able to use his speed to drop back into coverage at times, and maybe not wear down as much.

Robster8989

Reaction score
I completely disagree.
Follow the money.
What position on D is the highest paid?
Edge.
Why? Because it's the most impactful position (on D).
Sacks are huge negative plays. Pressure on the QB forces fumbles and picks. Cleary, the NFL believes Edge is the peak position on that side of the ball.
Micah is a generational talent. He is a great pass rusher. I, for one, keep him at Edge, but get some real run stuffing DT's and LBs that can tackle to stop the opponents run game.
You don't take your Ferrari on dirt roads.
You get the right vehicle for that.
Micah is getting neutralized because we can't stop the run. Teams are getting leads on us, and running the ball on us with ease, limiting his opportunities from having the impact he can have on a game. How long has this been a problem for us? STOP THE RUN!!!
Then let your superstar pass rusher disrupt the opponents offense.