Micah Parsons has Been Misused

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If you take Aaron Rodgers view of Mike McCarthy, Rodgers seems to believe Mike is football stupid

Quinn blew how big of a lead against the pats?

Anyway, they need to figure a way to get more consistent play from Parsons

To me getting his hand out of the dirt and standing him up would help

I also think you are going to have to pick and choose your spots to stand him up as there are not any free lunches out there

I also think you need to think carefully on his next contract and have a good idea on how he is physically holding up, a speed guy who loses a step can turn into a liability rather quickly
McCarthy put on display how good of a coach he is this year.

He still deserves to be fired for his performance but his offensive mind is really good.

Dak’s play was better because of McCarthy.

tunahelper

Reaction score
I like the use of stats and all but you seem to be forgetting one thing.
Parsons is strong at the beginning of a season and then literally is a no show after the midpoint.
Except for his mouth which works overtime…
The so called “lion” becomes a house cat after the mid point of the season or when playing good teams.
Is he good player, yes is he elite and deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as LT. no he is not, not even close.

Just when you need your best players to show up.. he is repeatedly a no-show, sure blame the DC and defense.

Remember this… great players show up when they are needed.
He does not… over and over…
He needs to be a 3-4 OLB. On his feet he would be more effective. I prefer the 4-3, but the defense should adapt to Parsons. Now building out the 3-4 is a bit of a change.

Williams could compete at LOLB with Overshown. Keep Hankins at NT and Mazi strong side end and either DLaw, Gholston, Fehoko, Osa at right end. The RE position would require more size eventually if not immediately.

We need inside backers anyway, so this will need to be addressed through draft and FA.

blueblood70

Reaction score
If you take Aaron Rodgers view of Mike McCarthy, Rodgers seems to believe Mike is football stupid

Quinn blew how big of a lead against the pats?

Anyway, they need to figure a way to get more consistent play from Parsons

To me getting his hand out of the dirt and standing him up would help

I also think you are going to have to pick and choose your spots to stand him up as there are not any free lunches out there

I also think you need to think carefully on his next contract and have a good idea on how he is physically holding up, a speed guy who loses a step can turn into a liability rather quickly
yes, that one& how about the watermelon kick against us?? maybe you missed the green bay and jags games last year is your head under a rock.??. so you're saying you want to excuse his blown leads how about the games they just didn't show up at all?? so they need big leads might blow them canty hold small ones etc etc etc etc

craig71

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Reaction score
McCarthy put on display how good of a coach he is this year.

He still deserves to be fired for his performance but his offensive mind is really good.

Dak’s play was better because of McCarthy.
I do not see McCarthy as anything special, I do not think anyone would label him as a savant among his peers

Just my opinion on McCarthy nothing more

I think its fair to say Dak was better in certain areas but I am hard pressed to say with absolute conviction that McCarthy alone was responsible

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
If we had, let's say a Bosa on the other side, do you think Micah would get the double teams he's getting now? This is why he's wearing down because no one else is being double teamed but him. And of course the Cowboys can't see this.

kwcool619

Reaction score
I like the use of stats and all but you seem to be forgetting one thing.
Parsons is strong at the beginning of a season and then literally is a no show after the midpoint.
Except for his mouth which works overtime…
The so called “lion” becomes a house cat after the mid point of the season or when playing good teams.
Is he good player, yes is he elite and deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as LT. no he is not, not even close.

Just when you need your best players to show up.. he is repeatedly a no-show, sure blame the DC and defense.

Remember this… great players show up when they are needed.
He does not… over and over…
Micah must learn not let his mouth write a check his a** can't cash

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
Micah Parsons could have been a generational LB instead of a member of a small group of elite DE's.

With Parsons speed, combined with a wider space to operate, Parsons would have been a sure tackler with the capability of getting to either edge of the field.in record time. He would have required some experience to truly reach his potential, but it would have been well worth it.

Instead, Parsons played out of position for someone that is 6'3, 245LBS. For three years he was double teamed often, mauled by a pair of 300 pounders, guys who were 60-100 pounds heavier than himself.

It took its toll. Parsons wore down towards the end of each of his three seasons. By December, there was nothing elite about his level of performance. In that part of the schedule when the big games are played that determine playoff participation and division titles, the Cowboys best player had little left to give.

Want proof?

Here is Micah Parsons average production per game during the first three months of his three combined regular seasons:

Sacks: .96
Combined tackles: 4.68
TFL: 1.18
QB Hits: 2.03
Forced fumbles: .18

Here are the results per game for December and beyond:

Sacks: .50
Combines tackles: 3.38
TFL: .69
QB Hits: 1.25
Forced fumbles: .06

In a combined four playoff games, Micah Parsons has a total of 1 sack.

Nobody is saying that Parsons couldn't rush the passer as a LB, but, as a LB, he should have been the team's leading tackler by far.

This cannot be corrected. It's too late to put him in as a permanent LB and learn the NFL level skillset that HOF LB's possess.

Furthermore, it is very possible that Parsons could begin sliding as soon as next season. Getting beat up every game can do that to a player, just ask Ezekiel Elliott. I'm not predicting it, I am just saying that the possibility increases due to the way he has been used. What we do know, according to his numbers is that he slides every season around the beginning of December when great players are supposed to play great.

It's a tragedy, really. He could have been the next Lawrence Taylor. Instead, it's most likely he will end up the next Jay Ratliff.
I’m starting to agree. In his rookie yr they spoke about using him like the Queen in Chess. Meaning he can be anywhere and do anything, the most powerful weapon and distraction piece. Him being on the Dline almost every down is like only using ur Queen to move (+) like a rook and forgetting the Queen can move (x) like a bishop. I’m not saying let’s keep in coverage, but he does run a 4.3, I seriously doubt given more experience he would be a liability. He needs more freedom to specifically attack the ball (like the water boy) see ball hit ball. I want Micah to be a weapon.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Micah Parsons could have been a generational LB instead of a member of a small group of elite DE's.

With Parsons speed, combined with a wider space to operate, Parsons would have been a sure tackler with the capability of getting to either edge of the field.in record time. He would have required some experience to truly reach his potential, but it would have been well worth it.

Instead, Parsons played out of position for someone that is 6'3, 245LBS. For three years he was double teamed often, mauled by a pair of 300 pounders, guys who were 60-100 pounds heavier than himself.

It took its toll. Parsons wore down towards the end of each of his three seasons. By December, there was nothing elite about his level of performance. In that part of the schedule when the big games are played that determine playoff participation and division titles, the Cowboys best player had little left to give.

Want proof?

Here is Micah Parsons average production per game during the first three months of his three combined regular seasons:

Nobody is saying that Parsons couldn't rush the passer as a LB, but, as a LB, he should have been the team's leading tackler by far.

This cannot be corrected. It's too late to put him in as a permanent LB and learn the NFL level skillset that HOF LB's possess.

Furthermore, it is very possible that Parsons could begin sliding as soon as next season. Getting beat up every game can do that to a player, just ask Ezekiel Elliott. I'm not predicting it, I am just saying that the possibility increases due to the way he has been used. What we do know, according to his numbers is that he slides every season around the beginning of December when great players are supposed to play great.

It's a tragedy, really. He could have been the next Lawrence Taylor. Instead, it's most likely he will end up the next Jay Ratliff.
Parsons carries a lot of position flex to play anywhere, but what he does best is pressure the QB so I understand playing him a lot at RDE. Even when he wasn't getting sacks he was still getting pressure.

I do agree getting more time at LB probably keeps him fresher and mixes up looks for the offense where they can't key in on him in a set spot. Where I disagree is its too late to get him more time at LB at 25. Why can't he learn technique and continue to evolve his game? Most players will tell you as they get older their understanding of the game gets better, but once they get above 30 the physical part of their game starts to decline. Great players can adapt and learn regardless.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Want proof?

I don't think its to late to correct the problem.
Move him to LB next season.

plasticman

Reaction score
https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Micah-Parsons-LB-PennState

Part of Micah's college profile:

"An instinctive player that can wreck havoc in the back field Micah is expected to be the long term solution in the middle of the field for a team for years to come (and expect him to start quickly - for the Lions he only started one game as freshman and yet led the team in tackles!)."

Micah Parsons had an excellent rating against the run due to his closing speed and sure tackling ability. Which would have been more important in December and January, creating sacks or stopping the run?

In any case, this past season, his combined December and January numbers, including the playoff game, was 1.5 sacks, 5 TFL, 8 QB hits, 0 forced fumbles, and 14 solo tackles. He had the potential to do so much more against the run but was heavily handicapped due to being on the line of scrimmage at the point of attack by much larger O-linemen.

Meanwhile, both Demarco Lawrence and Dorance Armstrong are among the leaders for DE's in tackling. Lawrence is #10, Dorance is #21 despite less snaps than everyone else at the top of the list. Armstrong could have been the starting DE on 1st and 2nd down, Sam Williams coming in on obvious passing plays. The Cowboys could benefit from Parson's ability to roam, sort through traffic, reach the ball carrier quickly, and make a sure tackle.

plasticman

Reaction score
So we're just not watching him against the run or in coverage, I guess?
Parsons is listed as a LB. However, if he was listed as a DE then he would be the 3rd leading tackler in the league as a DE. However, the number of tackles pales in comparison to some of the top run stopping LB's, which Parsons is.

There were 62 players this season with over 100 combined tackles. None were DE's. Only one was a D-lineman, Derrick Brown, the nose tackle for Carolina's 3-4 defense. Parsons had 64 combined tackles which ties him for 161st in the league.

As far as his coverage abilities, that is supposed to be the area of improvement and, after two seasons as a LB with his speed. I believe he would not have been a liability. In fact, I believe he would be an asset at this point in his career.

Cmac

Reaction score
Micah has misused his own mouth......that's the major issue.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
When you draft high for a LB and don't use him as an actual LB, you're going to antagonize further depth problems at the position. Which we've seen every season he's played.

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
Parsons is listed as a LB. However, if he was listed as a DE then he would be the 3rd leading tackler in the league as a DE. However, the number of tackles pales in comparison to some of the top run stopping LB's, which Parsons is.
Seriously?

conner01

Reaction score
This is a great point. Parsons - 6'3", 245lbs. Watt - 6'4", 252lbs. Parsons is not too small to play edge.
7 lbs is not the problem and I don’t know if he’s still 245. Looks to me he’s added some weight
Watt plays in coverage a lot and he’s really good at it. Teams also don’t know when he’s dropping into coverage which helps the other pass rushers since every team wants to account for watt on the rush

Mr_437

Reaction score
7 lbs is not the problem and I don’t know if he’s still 245. Looks to me he’s added some weight
Watt plays in coverage a lot and he’s really good at it. Teams also don’t know when he’s dropping into coverage which helps the other pass rushers since every team wants to account for watt on the rush
Do you believe Micah should be in a 3-4 base Defense also?

conner01

Reaction score
Do you believe Micah should be in a 3-4 base Defense also?
I think it would probably benefit him and the team. You don’t have to be in it all the time but just sending Micah from one side or the other doesn’t create any confusion. Teams not knowing if he’s coming or not, or where he’s coming from could. I think it could help the run defense because you’d need a bit more size in the middle. I think Quinn needs to really look at what worked and be willing to change some things. My fear is he thinks it’s working as is