CFZ Micah Parsons' next challenge: Showing some leadership

rags747

Reaction score
There are very few great leaders in life, look at military generals, look at Presidents, look at Corp CEO’s. Very very few make the Great category. I could run off a list right now but then I would have to

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Hoping he takes the lead is foolish and if the team is banking on that then we deserve to have a leaderless mass. They did the same with D Flaw for years and years. Even though everything he did was selfish and divisive they insisted on treating him like he was our leader and "war daddy". The taint spreads and we end up with the worst stretch of defense in Cowboy history. Good management can honestly evaluate what they have and maximize it. Bad management dreams about what could be and blindly hopes it happens despite all evidence to the contrary.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Cannot fake leadership in a locker room
Micah is TO 2.0
Leadership, as well as him taking hard coaching and criticism was always my concern with us drafting Parsons (ask @JBS). That and drafting a LB that high is as anti-analytics as there is. Throw in Jerry's coddling and this was always going to be the end result.

For anyone who wants to say what an amazing pass rusher he is, one, I agree, but two, NO ONE knew. Not the Cowboys, who passed on him at 10, not the NFL, who allowed him to be drafted 12th overall, and not even Penn State, who utilized him as A-to-B gab backer for two years at Penn State. Necessity is the mother of all invention and the world only found out how good an Edge he was when injuries forced the move.

Zimmer and Parsons may end up being oil and vinegar.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sports leaders who were quiet but led by a stellar example - recent and past:
  • Aaron Donald (rams future HOF DL; led by example)
  • Troy Paulumalu (Steelers HOF SafeTy)
  • Champ Bailey (Broncos HOF DB)
  • Larry Allen (Cowboys HOF G)
  • Drew Brees (Saints future HOF QB)
  • Charles Woodson (Raiders HOF DB)
  • Jeff Saturday (Colts 4x All Pro C, probable HOFer)
  • Jason Taylor (dolphins HOF DE)
  • Zach Thomas (dolphins-Cowboys HOF LB)
  • Christian McAffrey (49ers All Pro RB)
These are just a few outstanding pro players who were great leaders despite being quiet or not possessing the usual obvious leadership qualities.

Micah Parsons may lack traditional leadership skills but he could certainly lead by example. By backing off some of his social media footprint for a little while he would set a great example of what’s more important.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
All this being said, I don't mind Parsons. He needs to be pushed and held accountable. I love players who act as leaders (I miss you Sean Lee) but leadership comes from the sideline. It's literally their job.

My same deal for Dak. Dak is an above average to very good QB. He has never had real coaching. He has never had someone say "Dak, fix this or we are bringing in competition." To defend our awful coaches, kind of hard to do with Jerry constantly anointing and praising players who show a glimpse of stardom here.

To me, that's the easiest fix. A good coach can fix so much. Jerry can do his nonsense press conferences. Dak, Micah, and others could be developed into maximizing their talents. It doesn't have to be a proven authoritarian like Parcells or a Bill Belichick. It can be someone with a strong foundation in strategy like a Sean McVay or Kyle Shanahan (come on down Bobby Slowik) but they have to be allowed total control of the on-the-field product. No mandating how many touches Zeke must get or how many passes Lamb should be thrown. No more ridiculous beliefs like "1Techs with 3Tech like skills" or "anyone can run behind this line" or "We don't need a true #1 WR."

Draft the players (more McClay, less Jones), market the team, and let a skilled professional coach the team. No more content-to-be employed losers like McCarthy and handpicking his assistants. Hire the coach, let him hire his entire staff, identify the types of players he needs, and get the heck out of the way.

ArtClink

Reaction score
It would be hard to disagree that Micah Parsons is the most talented player on this Cowboys team. He certainly is the most talented player on the defense. His physical skills are undeniable and at the top of the league. His pass rushing skills wreak havoc on offensive lines. Offensive coordinators undoubtedly have to account for MP first in the development of every game plan. Having a player of this level of talent is something to believe in.

But it is also a common belief in sports that you should be able to count on your best, most talented player to not only play well, but to also show some leadership. If not verbally, at least by example. Because despite Micah Parsons‘ enormous talent, he has yet to show a level of leadership in accordance with his talent.

Leadership does not have to be verbally eloquent. Parsons doesn’t have to be a rah-rah guy in the locker room. In fact, the best sports leaders first and foremost lead by example on and off the field. The best leaders on the team should be the best in practice, leaders by example in the weight room, and be someone who makes the team bigger than a bunch of individuals. I haven’t seen those qualities yet from Parsons. But he’s only 24. He has time.

So how could Micah Parsons step up into a bigger role as a leader on this team now?
  • Be the example of a strong work ethic. First in the weight room. Hardest worker at practice. Hold teammates accountable to do the same.
  • Stop making ANY excuses after losses or complaining about things that are “unfair”.
  • Put the team before your personal brand. Temporarily suspend the podcast until you have accomplished something as a TEAM.
This list could be longer but you get the idea. Team leaders do not have to be eloquent public speakers or lead cheers in the locker room. But if your most talented player seems to be more concerned about podcasts and getting jerseys signed and a frequent excuse maker, it hurts the team.

Time for Micah Parsons to show some real leadership.
Agreed on all points. It took Romo halfway into his career to become a great leader, but it’s anyone’s guess how Parsons will develop as a leader.

It sure seems he’s putting his brand before the team but time will tell and for his talent, I’m willing to be patient.

My gut feeling tells me that unless Jerry pays him crazy money, he’s gonna hop between teams.

ArtClink

Reaction score
At defensive end, he is even an improving star. He and Lawrence are the top pair of NFL defensive ends on a team. Mix that with the top pair of CB'a on a team:
Diggs and Bland and leadership status is now directed with a strong coaching staff and a new middle linebacker added to strengthen team leadership.

Parsons is still very strongly growing towards team directions.
I’m becoming a big Bland fan. He’s works hard and he’s a ball hawk.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Is what Micah is doing any different than what Baltimore QB Lamar Jackson is doing? He's missed all but one OTA.

"It's this time of year; it's a voluntary time," Ravens coach John Harbaugh said. "It's really not something that we comment on. We can't, and that's just the time of year it is. So I can't speak for anybody that's not here."

Loso86

Reaction score
It would be hard to disagree that Micah Parsons is the most talented player on this Cowboys team. He certainly is the most talented player on the defense. His physical skills are undeniable and at the top of the league. His pass rushing skills wreak havoc on offensive lines. Offensive coordinators undoubtedly have to account for MP first in the development of every game plan. Having a player of this level of talent is something to believe in.

But it is also a common belief in sports that you should be able to count on your best, most talented player to not only play well, but to also show some leadership. If not verbally, at least by example. Because despite Micah Parsons‘ enormous talent, he has yet to show a level of leadership in accordance with his talent.

Leadership does not have to be verbally eloquent. Parsons doesn’t have to be a rah-rah guy in the locker room. In fact, the best sports leaders first and foremost lead by example on and off the field. The best leaders on the team should be the best in practice, leaders by example in the weight room, and be someone who makes the team bigger than a bunch of individuals. I haven’t seen those qualities yet from Parsons. But he’s only 24. He has time.

So how could Micah Parsons step up into a bigger role as a leader on this team now?
  • Be the example of a strong work ethic. First in the weight room. Hardest worker at practice. Hold teammates accountable to do the same.
  • Stop making ANY excuses after losses or complaining about things that are “unfair”.
  • Put the team before your personal brand. Temporarily suspend the podcast until you have accomplished something as a TEAM.
This list could be longer but you get the idea. Team leaders do not have to be eloquent public speakers or lead cheers in the locker room. But if your most talented player seems to be more concerned about podcasts and getting jerseys signed and a frequent excuse maker, it hurts the team.

Time for Micah Parsons to show some real leadership.
Why does he have to though!? Because you want it...?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I’m becoming a big Bland fan. He’s works hard and he’s a ball hawk.
I've been lucky enough to spend some time with the Sacramento State coaching staff the past few months. They speak so highly of DaRon, who was there from 2017 to 2019, before losing 2020 to COVID and then transferring to Fresno State for 2021.

One story the DB coach told me was that when he was first hired, he told the DB's he expects them to be at his workout next Thursday at 7 AM. DaRon came to him and said that he runs track (60, 100, high jump, long jump and triple jump) for Sacramento State and they have workouts at the same time. The coach told me he wanted to say "I need you there" but wanted to be supportive of the University and said that was okay. When the coach showed up at 6:30 AM on Thursday morning he heard some noises from the weight room and went in and saw one player working out. It was DaRon.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I've been lucky enough to spend some time with the Sacramento State coaching staff the past few months. They speak so highly of DaRon, who was there from 2017 to 2019, before losing 2020 to COVID and then transferring to Fresno State for 2021.

One story the DB coach told me was that when he was first hired, he told the DB's he expects them to be at his workout next Thursday at 7 AM. DaRon came to him and said that he runs track (60, 100, high jump, long jump and triple jump) for Sacramento State and they have workouts at the same time. The coach told me he wanted to say "I need you there" but wanted to be supportive of the University and said that was okay. When the coach showed up at 6:30 AM on Thursday morning he heard some noises from the weight room and went in and saw one player working out. It was DaRon.
Sac State is an exciting FCS football program. Interesting post. Go Hornets.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He has absolutely zero leadership qualities. I am not sure we have anyone on the defense that can even hold that label.

Motorola

Reaction score
Sports leaders who were quiet but led by a stellar example - recent and past:
  • Aaron Donald (rams future HOF DL; led by example)
  • Troy Paulumalu (Steelers HOF SafeTy)
  • Champ Bailey (Broncos HOF DB)
  • Larry Allen (Cowboys HOF G)
  • Drew Brees (Saints future HOF QB)
  • Charles Woodson (Raiders HOF DB)
  • Jeff Saturday (Colts 4x All Pro C, probable HOFer)
  • Jason Taylor (dolphins HOF DE)
  • Zach Thomas (dolphins-Cowboys HOF LB)
  • Christian McAffrey (49ers All Pro RB)
These are just a few outstanding pro players who were great leaders despite being quiet or not possessing the usual obvious leadership qualities.

Micah Parsons may lack traditional leadership skills but he could certainly lead by example. By backing off some of his social media footprint for a little while he would set a great example of what’s more important.
Drew Brees definitely was not a "quiet leader".
He was emotional, fiery, upfront, and vocal as the longtime quarterback of the New Orleans Saints.
Recall viewing and hearing scenes of teams gathered on the sidelines just before kickoff.
The player(s) expressing their want and desire for the team to give their maximum effort usually were usually on the defense.
With New Orleans, it was their diminutive (for professional football) guy under center\signal caller who provided the daily and weekly inspiration for that team to perform to their best.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Drew Brees definitely was not a "quiet leader".
He was emotional, fiery, upfront, and vocal as the longtime quarterback of the New Orleans Saints.
Recall viewing and hearing scenes of teams gathered on the sidelines just before kickoff.
The player(s) expressing their want and desire for the team to give their maximum effort usually were usually on the defense.
With New Orleans, it was their diminutive (for professional football) guy under center\signal caller who provided the daily and weekly inspiration for that team to perform to their best.
Yes, Brees would visit Special Forces teams to learn about leadership that he could translate to football.
He led pre-game battle cries that were borderline legendary.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Yes, Brees would visit Special Forces teams to learn about leadership that he could translate to football.
He led pre-game battle cries that were borderline legendary.
Which Special Forces? Marines, Army, Navy or Air Force?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Parsons is a laborer, not a leader. He is a me guy, not a team guy. I don't even think he wants to be a Cowboy anymore. He wanted to go with Dan Quinn to the Commanders. So any opportunity he has had to bond with his Cowboy teammates he has shuned. Zimmer has had very little time to coach him, so I don't expect a great year from Micah.