CFZ Micah Parsons' next challenge: Showing some leadership

fivetwos

Reaction score
I don’t see why players need to lead when we have Jerry and his ego to run everything.

No one that walks this earth is better than him.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
I understand and even agree with the assessments from several here that Micah is not a leader naturally. But leadership is as much an example as anything else. Hard work in practice, weight room, avoiding making excuses do not require great leadership skills.

If your best player is also not your hardest worker yet is clearly a big player on social media, that’s a problem. I think too many fans think leadership is about being able to be a locker room cheerleader or an eloquent interview.

Sports leadership is about example and that requires not a single word being said.
Couldn't agree more with your assessment....nice post!

cristglo

Reaction score
It would be hard to disagree that Micah Parsons is the most talented player on this Cowboys team. He certainly is the most talented player on the defense. His physical skills are undeniable and at the top of the league. His pass rushing skills wreak havoc on offensive lines. Offensive coordinators undoubtedly have to account for MP first in the development of every game plan. Having a player of this level of talent is something to believe in.

But it is also a common belief in sports that you should be able to count on your best, most talented player to not only play well, but to also show some leadership. If not verbally, at least by example. Because despite Micah Parsons‘ enormous talent, he has yet to show a level of leadership in accordance with his talent.

Leadership does not have to be verbally eloquent. Parsons doesn’t have to be a rah-rah guy in the locker room. In fact, the best sports leaders first and foremost lead by example on and off the field. The best leaders on the team should be the best in practice, leaders by example in the weight room, and be someone who makes the team bigger than a bunch of individuals. I haven’t seen those qualities yet from Parsons. But he’s only 24. He has time.

So how could Micah Parsons step up into a bigger role as a leader on this team now?
  • Be the example of a strong work ethic. First in the weight room. Hardest worker at practice. Hold teammates accountable to do the same.
  • Stop making ANY excuses after losses or complaining about things that are “unfair”.
  • Put the team before your personal brand. Temporarily suspend the podcast until you have accomplished something as a TEAM.
This list could be longer but you get the idea. Team leaders do not have to be eloquent public speakers or lead cheers in the locker room. But if your most talented player seems to be more concerned about podcasts and getting jerseys signed and a frequent excuse maker, it hurts the team.

Time for Micah Parsons to show some real leadership.
Hit the Nail on the head! Showing a good work ethic and leadership trickles down and that Leadership shows up In Playoffs.
Hard work in practice, weight room, avoiding making excuses do not require great leadership skills.
Needs to quit worrying about the no calls

TwentyOne

Reaction score
He’s only 25. Were all your decisions at 25 correct?
I dont understand what that has to do with making mistakes.

I did not judge Parsons behaviour. I questioned the things @Bobhaze demands from him. I dont think Parsons will be able to live up to that. Its just not him.

And to answer your questions: Heck i am 8 1/2 years old right now. Dont know what i am going to do when im 25.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

I did not judge Parsons behaviour. I questioned the things @Bobhaze demands from him. I dont think Parsons will be able to live up to that. Its just not him.

And to answer your questions: Heck i am 8 1/2 years old right now. Dont know what i am going to do when im 25.
Why don’t you think he will live up to those things? What makes you say that? Because of the decisions he makes?

ArtClink

Reaction score
I've been lucky enough to spend some time with the Sacramento State coaching staff the past few months. They speak so highly of DaRon, who was there from 2017 to 2019, before losing 2020 to COVID and then transferring to Fresno State for 2021.

One story the DB coach told me was that when he was first hired, he told the DB's he expects them to be at his workout next Thursday at 7 AM. DaRon came to him and said that he runs track (60, 100, high jump, long jump and triple jump) for Sacramento State and they have workouts at the same time. The coach told me he wanted to say "I need you there" but wanted to be supportive of the University and said that was okay. When the coach showed up at 6:30 AM on Thursday morning he heard some noises from the weight room and went in and saw one player working out. It was DaRon.
Gotta love that kind of player!

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Why don’t you think he will live up to those things? What makes you say that? Because of the decisions he makes?
I explained that thoroughly in my post that you answered to the first time.

In essence i think because of his priorities. And i doubt he will change them.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Parsons IS great.
Yes, as a player he's great. But, as a team leader, not so much. Yes, he's young, but stars learn the importance of their leadership at an early age. I know "it's no big deal" that he skipped OTA's, but with a new DC, a modified defensive scheme AND rookies in attendance, he should have been there.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
This culture does not allow for leaders, no matter who it is. We build our foundation on excuses, blaming others, vowing to "get better" next time and that's that. As far as vets go, D-Law should be the leader on defense, but instead we hear him talking about how tired they were after a playoff loss. How is Micah supposed to learn how to be a leader with that garbage?

plymkr

Reaction score
Leaders lead, Micah hid like a lil girl after that playoff loss to Green Bay!
He hid like a little girl during the playoff loss to Green Bay. He gave up in the first quarter and then ran around the field avoiding contact

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I havent read this whole thread so maybe this has been addressed...

But asking a player to sideline his brand, assuming its a money maker and not just a questionable personality, is contradictory.

People, Governments do questionable things for money. Asking a person with a sphere of influence to not take advantage of that, assuming the person is not doing negative things directly for that money, seems very very kooky to me.

Nothing against you OP. I get that Micah is a part of a team. I get that a person within a team can cause a subjective side-show that some dont like. But if the person is not doing evil things in that side-show and is making money...I think the best thing is to just try and disregard it. Is Jerry's other business partners complaining about Jerry's antics with the Cowboys...or how much time he spends on the Cowboys vs their dealings?

I dont like some of Micah's twitter comments. But Im not about to tell the guy to not make money off the field, assuming he is doing it in a non-evil way.

I think posters that want to latch on to "He should be in the weight room for an hour or two instead of doing a podcast" are unreasonable beings and you cant please them. They are looking to clutch on to something to shame with. Especially if the player isnt doing anything evil for that money maker.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Yes, as a player he's great. But, as a team leader, not so much. Yes, he's young, but stars learn the importance of their leadership at an early age. I know "it's no big deal" that he skipped OTA's, but with a new DC, a modified defensive scheme AND rookies in attendance, he should have been there.
I don’t disagree.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Just to clarify…I personally am not “demanding” anything from Micah Parsons. I am saying in this thread that I think the most talented player on this team IMO should be able to be a leader in the very least by example.

One of my sons is a HS basketball coach and he always says if your most talented player sets a great example in practice, in conditioning, and with his attitude that’s leadership. Doesn’t require a single word to be said. On the other hand if your most talented player is selfish and not putting the team first, it can be a culture drag or worse.

The only people who should be “demanding” some leadership by example of Micah Parsons are his coaches and teammates.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
If Micah Parsons doesn't seriously grow up and show some serious leadership, it might be time to consider trading him after this season. Trade him while his value is still high. Try to get two 1st round picks for him.

RoboQB

Reaction score
I'd trade Micah Parsons for 2 #1s right now!..lol
Frankly, I'd be announcing my intentions to entertain all offers and reward the highest bidder.

As close to a 21st century version of the Herschel Walker trade as they can get.

Lamb might be the only one that gets a big contract in Dallas. DLaw and Martin will be gone next year as well, most likely. Gonna be a whole lotta "out with old, in with the new" the next two years... except in the FO, of course.