CFZ Micah Parsons' next challenge: Showing some leadership

cristglo

Reaction score
Doing his podcast when its off-season and putting it on the back burner during the season. He doesn't have to quit but just slow it down.
He said he wanted to be the greatest that ever played his position Look at those before him and see how they put the work in.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Just to clarify…I personally am not “demanding” anything from Micah Parsons. I am saying in this thread that I think the most talented player on this team IMO should be able to be a leader in the very least by example.

One of my sons is a HS basketball coach and he always says if your most talented player sets a great example in practice, in conditioning, and with his attitude that’s leadership. Doesn’t require a single word to be said. On the other hand if your most talented player is selfish and not putting the team first, it can be a culture drag or worse.

The only people who should be “demanding” some leadership by example of Micah Parsons are his coaches and teammates.
I agree 100% - It looks like Micah is gonna fall in the 2nd group of a self-centered athlete more concerned with his own brand than his team and teammates. It's still early so we'll see which route he takes.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Does Micah want to be a leader? He's a great player for sure but that doesn't mean he's a leader. To me he is more diva than leader.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong but i'll take he and CD at their word..they literally told us all what they are about on that podcast...why would we not believe them?

conner01

Reaction score
Leadership? I would settle for being active in run defense instead of running straight to the QB. I get it, sacks =paid, but stopping the run = championships. So far all Parsons has shown me is that he is out for himself, the other 10 players on D don't matter to him.
That’s not what Quinn wanted from him but he does play run well

conner01

Reaction score
Does Micah want to be a leader? He's a great player for sure but that doesn't mean he's a leader. To me he is more diva than leader.
Team mates decide who the team leaders are and many times it’s not the star players who are actually the leaders.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
It would be hard to disagree that Micah Parsons is the most talented player on this Cowboys team. He certainly is the most talented player on the defense. His physical skills are undeniable and at the top of the league. His pass rushing skills wreak havoc on offensive lines. Offensive coordinators undoubtedly have to account for MP first in the development of every game plan. Having a player of this level of talent is something to believe in.

But it is also a common belief in sports that you should be able to count on your best, most talented player to not only play well, but to also show some leadership. If not verbally, at least by example. Because despite Micah Parsons‘ enormous talent, he has yet to show a level of leadership in accordance with his talent.

Leadership does not have to be verbally eloquent. Parsons doesn’t have to be a rah-rah guy in the locker room. In fact, the best sports leaders first and foremost lead by example on and off the field. The best leaders on the team should be the best in practice, leaders by example in the weight room, and be someone who makes the team bigger than a bunch of individuals. I haven’t seen those qualities yet from Parsons. But he’s only 24. He has time.

So how could Micah Parsons step up into a bigger role as a leader on this team now?
  • Be the example of a strong work ethic. First in the weight room. Hardest worker at practice. Hold teammates accountable to do the same.
  • Stop making ANY excuses after losses or complaining about things that are “unfair”.
  • Put the team before your personal brand. Temporarily suspend the podcast until you have accomplished something as a TEAM.
This list could be longer but you get the idea. Team leaders do not have to be eloquent public speakers or lead cheers in the locker room. But if your most talented player seems to be more concerned about podcasts and getting jerseys signed and a frequent excuse maker, it hurts the team.

Time for Micah Parsons to show some real leadership.
He did that his rookie year. Then he found out his Dallas Cowboys were the Arlington Jonesboys and now has adjusted his priorities to the owner, GM, and defacto HC of the Arlington Jonesboys.

You have to remember that Dak, Micah, and so many other players on the Jonesboys roster grew up Cowboy fans. They know have the reality that this team is not their Dallas Cowboys. The now pursue the goal of the owner, GM, and defacto Head Coach..."stay relevant".

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
It would be hard to disagree that Micah Parsons is the most talented player on this Cowboys team. He certainly is the most talented player on the defense. His physical skills are undeniable and at the top of the league. His pass rushing skills wreak havoc on offensive lines. Offensive coordinators undoubtedly have to account for MP first in the development of every game plan. Having a player of this level of talent is something to believe in.

But it is also a common belief in sports that you should be able to count on your best, most talented player to not only play well, but to also show some leadership. If not verbally, at least by example. Because despite Micah Parsons‘ enormous talent, he has yet to show a level of leadership in accordance with his talent.

Leadership does not have to be verbally eloquent. Parsons doesn’t have to be a rah-rah guy in the locker room. In fact, the best sports leaders first and foremost lead by example on and off the field. The best leaders on the team should be the best in practice, leaders by example in the weight room, and be someone who makes the team bigger than a bunch of individuals. I haven’t seen those qualities yet from Parsons. But he’s only 24. He has time.

So how could Micah Parsons step up into a bigger role as a leader on this team now?
  • Be the example of a strong work ethic. First in the weight room. Hardest worker at practice. Hold teammates accountable to do the same.
  • Stop making ANY excuses after losses or complaining about things that are “unfair”.
  • Put the team before your personal brand. Temporarily suspend the podcast until you have accomplished something as a TEAM.
This list could be longer but you get the idea. Team leaders do not have to be eloquent public speakers or lead cheers in the locker room. But if your most talented player seems to be more concerned about podcasts and getting jerseys signed and a frequent excuse maker, it hurts the team.

Time for Micah Parsons to show some real leadership.
Micah is looking out for himself.
Blimey, the lad cannot change overnight to a leader when his whole life has been about achieving personal mileposts.
He is so focused on recording sacks that leadership is not on his mind.

Praxit

Reaction score
..this is a matter of maturity. Some reach it earlier than others.

Do I have faith he does? Yep, but not anytime soon.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
The defense has previously been anchored by pay-and-then-quit D-Law. Just enjoy what performance we get out of him for however long. That's all you can expect here.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Parsons is not a leader.

You cant make applejuice out of an Orange. Stop trying to. Accept reality. Parsons is a very good player who wont be great because he is so much more about selling himself than the game.

And that is another thing to accept. You cant change our FO approach. Players and coaches come here because we give them the posibiliy to establish a brand. Not because they want to win something meaningful.

To question that or to ask players to change their priorities is just a contradiction in itself. It wont happen. We are not a the chiefs or the Eagles. We are a merchandise franchise. They wouldnt be here if it were else.

Learn to live with it. Enjoy the Show. If you are looking for something serious switch channels.
I hate to agree with you but I do. Even if he did try to adopt some leadership techniques, they would all be counter-productive, self-serving gestures to boost his brand...not true, selfless, no-cameras leadership.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Parsons IS great.
He has the the potential to be great. But he isnt. Not from what he showed us so far. He seems soft sometimes, seems to lose motivation when things dont go well (not a fighter). he doesnt know how to avoid tough blocks: how often did we see him getting destroyed by a double Block. That hurts and takes its toll later in games or the season. Not quite a smart player. Relies too much on his physical skills.

But i do unserstand that people want him to be great just because overall he is a nice young kid and has generational physical talent. But where his head is is the problem.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True leaders are born, not made.