Twitter: Micah thinks Cooper Kupp is the MVP of the league

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I just love his route running. So crisp. Precise.

Some of the best WRs did not have blazing speed: Jerry Rice, Mike Irvin, Steve Largent (remember him?), Charlie Joiner, Julian Edelman, Drew Pearson.....their routes were great.

I heard Michael Irvin say this, and it makes sense. Speed receivers rarely turn out to be great receivers because the faster a guy can run, the longer it takes him to stop his speed. So the routes you can run will be limited or harder for the speed receiver because he has to slow his speed down before he makes precise cuts.

The slower receiver doesn't need as much time to make stop and starts and cuts, so he can make his cuts more precisely and create more space to get open against the receiver. Furthermore, the precise route runner who doesn't have to break down his speed doesn't telegraph his routes.

lqmac1

Reaction score
Kupp, Micah, Diggs & Watt should be the finalists if we’re being honest here!

However, they’ll hand it to Rodgers to help cover up him being the biggest playoff choke artist in NFL history! Dude didn’t even have the best season for a quarterback, Brady had more passing yards and touchdowns… At 44 years old.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He has excellent football speed. He is always running away from coverage and defenders on his way to the end zone. He's been phenomenal.

I agree. He doesn't play slow. But, what are folks looking at when determining a wr is too fast or too slow? They look at 40 times in spandex. I'm simply illustrating that it can't be the most important measuring stick b/c we have guys like Cooper Kupp......... who just had the greatest statistical year of any WR in the history of the NFL. Before him, we had Jerry Rice who also ran in the 4.6's. Did he play slow? Thats my point.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
How does a guy listed running a 4.6 40 own the league? Jerry rice ran the same speed and owns records that may never get broken. True skill is easy to spot, but scouts are constantly looking for 40 times, size, weight, etc. Has to be a reason a guy like Tom Brady slipped to the 6th round.

Thomas82

Reaction score
I heard Michael Irvin say this, and it makes sense. Speed receivers rarely turn out to be great receivers because the faster a guy can run, the longer it takes him to stop his speed. So the routes you can run will be limited or harder for the speed receiver because he has to slow his speed down before he makes precise cuts.

The slower receiver doesn't need as much time to make stop and starts and cuts, so he can make his cuts more precisely and create more space to get open against the receiver. Furthermore, the precise route runner who doesn't have to break down his speed doesn't telegraph his routes.

This is definitely spot on!!

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
The QB's always get the first shot. It really doesn't matter Kupp is the MVP.:clap:

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Kupp also blocks better than 90% of the receivers and a lot of TE's. He's the full package and lastly he stays on the field.

MajesticRey

Reaction score

Excuse me? Guys like Irvin and Rice were still FAST.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Excuse me? Guys like Irvin and Rice were still FAST.
They weren't JET fast. They didn't run 4.3 or even 4.4.
But they knew how to create separation and that made them appear faster than their recorded times.

Last edited:

MajesticRey

Reaction score
They weren't JET fast. They didn't run 4.3 or even 4.4.
But they knew how to create separation and that made them appear faster than their recorded times.
The notion that “slow is better” is ridiculous, though. A fast guy can still choose to reduce his speed in order to make breaks in his route.

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree. He doesn't play slow. But, what are folks looking at when determining a wr is too fast or too slow? They look at 40 times in spandex. I'm simply illustrating that it can't be the most important measuring stick b/c we have guys like Cooper Kupp......... who just had the greatest statistical year of any WR in the history of the NFL. Before him, we had Jerry Rice who also ran in the 4.6's. Did he play slow? Thats my point.
Yup. And 40 times don't measure lateral agility and burst out of the breaks. Those two are the real measure of a WR's effectiveness.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The notion that “slow is better” is ridiculous, though. A fast guy can still choose to reduce his speed in order to make breaks in his route.
And like Jerry Rice—who was simlar height/weight/speed—Kupp has has good game speed in full pads
Straight line 40 speed in shorts can be deceiving.

Kupp just does everything well. He might be the best blocking WR in the league as well.