Micah's next contract

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I normally wouldn't be thinking so far ahead but when I saw this it made me think how complicated his negotiation might be down the road.

You wonder how the Cowboys will handle this. Will they want to pay him as a LB? Will Micah want DE money? Is there a big difference between the two? You literally have nothing to use as a benchmark as he's a unicorn.

Might seem odd I'm even concerned about this now but reading our obituary over and over again gets old.

I have no doubt it'll get done but it may be the most unique and challenging deal they've ever done with a player.

Havic

Reaction score
Tbh, he will be the highest paid player in the league at either position.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I normally wouldn't be thinking so far ahead but when I saw this it made me think how complicated his negotiation might be down the road.

You wonder how the Cowboys will handle this. Will they want to pay him as a LB? Will Micah want DE money? Is there a big difference between the two? You literally have nothing to use as a benchmark as he's a unicorn.

Might seem odd I'm even concerned about this now but reading our obituary over and over again gets old.

I have no doubt it'll get done but it may be the most unique and challenging deal they've ever done with a player.

Closest comp is Mack. Parsons is on pace for 13 sacks this season. If he is a 10 sack guy throughout his rookie contract, he will be tiered where Mack was when he signed

Dont overthink the LB, DE distinction. Pass rushers get paid, and if his 3 year production matches his 10 game production, then he will be yhe highest paid D player in the NFL shortly after his 3rd year. Where it can get dramatic is you have to assign a tag. Its an organizational failure if it ever gets to that point

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Closest comp is Mack. Parsons is on pace for 13 sacks this season. If he is a 10 sack guy throughout his rookie contract, he will be tiered where Mack was when he signed

Dont overthink the LB, DE distinction. Pass rushers get paid, and if his 3 year production matches his 10 game production, then he will be yhe highest paid D player in the NFL shortly after his 3rd year. Where it can get dramatic is you have to assign a tag. Its an organizational failure if it ever gets to that point
Yep. Its not really even about position.....if you are perennially racking up over 10 sacks you are about to get paid for those sacks. Aaron Donald or Von Miller or Khalil Mack.....doesn't matter the position.

Havic

Reaction score
I think the comparison was simply he is a dual athlete who can play either position at a high level. No issues with the Hill comparison lol.

Reaction score

When the time comes it will be less about what position he plays and more about the plays he makes and how he leads the defense.

By the time of his extension, the pretend leaders like Demarcus Lawrence will be gone and Micah will be the true alpha dog of the defense, if not the entire team.

We have already seen he makes plays no matter where they line him up. You can't label him a DE, LB or whatever. He is a playmaking alpha dog. That's it. And that's how he will be paid.

His extension will be around $30M a year when the time comes. Only injuries will prevent that

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If he continues this level of performance he will be paid the moon......
Hope we can still afford him when the time comes.....

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

My argument on Micah's side is he is giving you Mack type pass rush but also giving you a LB too. So why should his pay be based on Mack or any other pass rusher at the time? They don't do all that Micah does. He's two players in one. This is the conundrum.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Einstein, Hill just signed a hybrid contract.
They can call it what they want. Calling it a "hybrid" contract is a nicer way of saying they can get from under his contract after one year. Parsons ain't signing no "hybrid contract" like he's a player the caliber of Taysom Hill. Taysom Hill couldn't see Micah Parsons if he was standing in front of him.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They can call it what they want. Calling it a "hybrid" contract is a nicer way of saying they can get from under his contract after one year. Parsons ain't signing no "hybrid contract" like he's a player the caliber of Taysom Hill. Taysom Hill couldn't see Micah Parsons if he was standing in front of him.

I realize that reference confused you and you're not capable of understanding that I wasn't claiming Micah is the same level of player. It was about the creative contract and how that might be involved in Micah's negotiations since he has no real defined position.

I assure you most everyone else got it.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The Jones’ boys will hem and haw and talk about “slices of pie” and then they’ll make him the highest paid defender in the league.

As we know, Stephen Jones is in his position with the team because of his long history of being a master cap negotiator.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score

Thankfully, there's a fifth year option on him.