CFZ Michael Gallup’s impact

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I totally agree but my only criticism of MG is that he HAS to make those spectacular catches because he doesn’t get separation consistently so the defender is usually right there on him.
Love MG as a complementary WR…as a #1 I’m concerned but hopeful.
I'm not sure if it's his lack of separation or ball placement/timing that put him in those situations, but you may be right. As long as he comes down with the ball, I like him. :D

blueblood70

Reaction score
I hope we get to see Lamb, Gallup, and Tolbert on the field together very soon. Glad Brown showed up game 2.
More Like Lamb, Gallup, and Washington as was the plan WITH Dak BTW..

Its coming ..the constant jerry had no plan and didn't spend money Gallups the plan and where Acs money went..jeez.. let him come back, ket them all play and not judge 2 games in, this place is miserable at times using a 1-2 game sample size to judge the entire season.

I didn't forget about Gallup, hes as close to dez type as ive seen here since dez.. contested catches, good near the sideline, fights to highpoint the ball etc..hes the physical one. Lamb's the finesses type and the rest will fall into place behind those 2..

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
MG can only help this team at this point. Between trading Cooper, Washington getting hurt, Lamb under-producing, and Tolbert contributing nothing to this point— the WR room has been on the struggle bus.

MG has been more of our deep threat/big play guy. Sneaky speed, solid route running, fearless when it comes to contact and fighting for the ball. He was signed to the decent contract for all of those reasons— and the sooner he is back on the field the better.

All of that said: What is his health/injury status? What is his overall fitness and conditioning? These will be the factors that determine how effective he will be.

Looking forward to getting the first data point on Min nite.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It’s exciting to see Michael Gallup is close to returning to game action. He is certainly a very underrated player on this team and should immediately help the offense get out of its slow start.

Looking at Gallup’s facts and stats, he has tended to get forgotten between Amari Cooper, Cedee Lamb, and his recent injury history. Here are some interesting stats on Gallup:
  • Ran a consistent 4.45 40 in pre-draft workouts.
  • In 4 seasons (55 games) he averages 15 yards per reception (Lamb avg about 13 per reception)
  • In 4 seasons he has 12 receptions of 40+ yards (Lamb has 5 in 2 years)
  • In Gallup’s best year- 2019- he had 66 receptions for 1,107 yds, avg 16.8 yds per catch.
  • His yards per target is 8.3- Lamb’s is 8.5.
I’m not knocking Cedee Lamb at all. But I am making the point that Michael Gallup may be exactly the kind of receiver to help Lamb not get doubled. Gallup is flat underrated. His return may inject some coverage respect among opposing defenses that we haven’t seen yet this year.

Any good OC should move his #1 WR around to limit the double teaming. Put him in motion, slot, ect...ect..... That should NOT be an excuse for a #1.

Having someone else to throw to does help, however. Having a running game that a team has to honor helps.

dacoming

Reaction score
It’s exciting to see Michael Gallup is close to returning to game action. He is certainly a very underrated player on this team and should immediately help the offense get out of its slow start.

Looking at Gallup’s facts and stats, he has tended to get forgotten between Amari Cooper, Cedee Lamb, and his recent injury history. Here are some interesting stats on Gallup:
  • In 4 seasons (55 games) he averages 15 yards per reception (Lamb avg about 13 per reception)
  • In Gallup’s best year- 2019- he had 66 receptions for 1,107 yds, avg 16.8 yds per catch.
I’m not knocking Cedee Lamb at all. But I am making the point that Michael Gallup may be exactly the kind of receiver to help Lamb not get doubled. Gallup is flat underrated. His return may inject some coverage respect among opposing defenses that we haven’t seen yet this year.
Totally agree, Gallup is underrated and will help immensely!

rambo2

Reaction score

The Cowboys have put together an outstanding roster and now they are starting to get players back and will get a lot of players back as the season continues. It will be funny if it all works out for them and the critics look silly as the season progresses.

blueblood70

Reaction score
MG can only help this team at this point. Between trading Cooper, Washington getting hurt, Lamb under-producing, and Tolbert contributing nothing to this point— the WR room has been on the struggle bus.

MG has been more of our deep threat/big play guy. Sneaky speed, solid route running, fearless when it comes to contact and fighting for the ball. He was signed to the decent contract for all of those reasons— and the sooner he is back on the field the better.

All of that said: What is his health/injury status? What is his overall fitness and conditioning? These will be the factors that determine how effective he will be.

Looking forward to getting the first data point on Min nite.
the Cowboys have been much smarter then TB was with Godwin. Godwin didnt take part in one physical padded practice and he hurts hammy. Gallups been brought along slower and now went thought a and passed all padded practiced. No setbacks.

Hes not been rushed back but im sure a snap count is needed as game shape is only achieved in games. game 1 snap count, game 2 he will be full go IMO just in time for maybe Dak to be Back :))

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

If/when he's back to his old self he should definitely help. I'm tempering early expectations, as he gets used to being hit again and gains trust in his repaired knee.

Practice is one thing. Fighting off guys who are trying to take you down is another.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score

Gallup has never played a season without Amari Cooper. He’s going to miss him just like everybody else on this offense is finding out.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Gallop on a pitch count. But I would get him involved very early. They will watch Lamb. Should leave Gallop one on one. Run it down there throats. If we can get a run game going early I would prefer that. I don’t want to see Moore abandoning the run or coming in with a passing game plan. Run heavy.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Gallup has missed a lot of time I wouldn’t expect him to hit the ground running. It usually takes a receiver a full year to recover from an ACL and it appears the Cowboys are trying to rush him back. We’ll have to see what type of impact he makes if he plays Monday night.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think both Gallup and Lamb are #2's. Everyone else is a 3 or below.
If you mean Lamb isn't an ideal WR1, you are right.
But he would be the top WR on nearly half of the teams in the NFL

Some forget there are teams like the Packers, Bears, Giants, Jags, etc, etc out there. They would dream of having CeeDee Lamb on their roster....let alone having Lamb AND Gallup.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
We can't count on MG to be the same steady WR that we know him to be in the past. He has to be eased back into the routine of being an NFL WR. It's clear we have Lamb and Brown that we can rely on... Gallup can be the decoy that draws coverage away from them. Let's not forget to use our TEs as targets either.

shabazz

Reaction score
I wonder If Daks personal protection gang will start a thread accusing Gallup of showing partiality to Rush by coming back from injury earlier than he should have…..

it may sound crazy but we’ve seen a thread here just about 1 particular throw from Rush and that he shouldn’t get any credit for it and than his twin starts another thread about Rush’s inaccuracy ranking, so again to disparage a 3rd rate backup.

If Rush and Gallup have a good game and chemistry we’ll be seeing threads to put that in a bad light as well……..it will send them over the edge.

I really hope that Dak gets back sooner so we not only have a veteran at the position but more importantly Daks personal gang will stop menstruating. It’s bloody embarrassing