Michael Irvin best Cowboys receiver ever?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Bob Hayes changed the way teams defend the pass. Michael was the undeniable heart of a team that won 3 Super Bowls.

Pure receiver, I go Michael.

Impact on the game, it's Bob.

Looks like the best you're going to get from me is a tie.
I would not argue this at all. Bullet absolutely had the greater impact on the game.. but truth be told he was a converted college running back who had to learn the receiver position on the job. Mike was head and shoulders better and more polished as a receiver. Still it would be fun to watch Bob Hayes operate in this modern environment where receivers can't be touched beyond 5 yards and can't be hit hard when catching the ball. Talk about fireworks!

RonnieT24

Reaction score
No no no. C'mooooon, those two are in the same coversation.

Irvin is top 10 all time. Dude was just that good.

Don't forget, Irvin caugth 12 passes in the 94 champ game w/ Deion guarding him. No one caught 12 passes on Deion.
You say this a lot and I know it's a bit of a nit but if you'll recall Deion started the game on Harper. The Niners strategy was to use Deion to erase Harper and then double Irvin with Davis and Hanks. It backfired when Mike started going off even against the double team so in the second half of that game they moved Deion over to Mike. He slowed Mike down but didn't come close to stopping him though. Bottom line is that only about half of Mike's 12 catches that day came with Deion on him.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
No question that Irvin has done it all to reign among the best WRs ever to grace this team. Bob Hayes surely deserves such kudos, also.

kskboys

Reaction score
You say this a lot and I know it's a bit of a nit but if you'll recall Deion started the game on Harper. The Niners strategy was to use Deion to erase Harper and then double Irvin with Davis and Hanks. It backfired when Mike started going off even against the double team so in the second half of that game they moved Deion over to Mike. He slowed Mike down but didn't come close to stopping him though. Bottom line is that only about half of Mike's 12 catches that day came with Deion on him.
Ah. Love the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

plasticman

Reaction score
I would not argue this at all. Bullet absolutely had the greater impact on the game.. but truth be told he was a converted college running back who had to learn the receiver position on the job. Mike was head and shoulders better and more polished as a receiver. Still it would be fun to watch Bob Hayes operate in this modern environment where receivers can't be touched beyond 5 yards and can't be hit hard when catching the ball. Talk about fireworks!
Determining who is the most talented is arbitrary unless we are using a specific standard. In fact, we are not even comparing the most talented, are we? The question is, who is the best?

Being the best doesn't necessarily mean the most talented. Some players are more gifted than talented. If speed a talent or a gift? What about size? Talent is something you have to aquuire. Being gifted is something you are born with.

You also have to look at the context, that period of time they played in.

Bob Hayes averaged 20 yards a reception. Irvin averaged 15.9 yards. Despite the longer career, Irvin scored less. Michael had 65 TD's while Bob had 71.

The NFL regular season was 12-14 games long during Hayes's career, 16 games long for Irvin.

The NFL was much different in the 70's, different in rules, different in level of sophistication. For all these reasons, I settled on a tie.

Blackrain

Reaction score
It's really hard to rate players from different football eras

I think I'm going to have to give the slight edge to Michael Irvin because of his leadership qualities.
Bob Hayes was an athlete like we will probably never see on the team again and would have loved to see him play later on when the rules favored the offense.
But as well as being a great receiver Michael was also a great leader

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
No doubt, it's currently Michael Irvin but CeeDee has the potential to take the crown. He will have to show up big in the biggest of games but I like the direction this young man is headed. Until then, The Playmaker remains my dawg!

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It gets hard to compare players from different era's in football. The defense wasn't as handcuffed with receivers back then QBs could be clobbered after throwing a pass, all of the players weren't as big, fast or strong. Players had off-season jobs and weren't working out all year long.

t would be fun to see Pearson / Bullet play in this era.
Lol with Bob CBs would be lined up 20yds back with a safety behind

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yeah, as good as Bullet was, Irvin was just better than anyone the Cowboys have ever had.

Disregarding mercs and short timers:

Irvin
Drew
Frank Clarke
Tony Hill
Bob Hayes

If you're counting short timers and mercs, Lance Alworth and TO are in there. Alworth might even top the list.
I actually thought it was Tony the thrill Hill. He just didn’t have the team behind him.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If it’s the Super Bowl, 4th and 5 on a GOTTA HAVE IT play. Who would you want?

I’ll take Irvin on the slant to outmuscle the defender and make sure he catches the ball or dies trying.

The playmaker all day
Penalty, I think drew Pearson

Jarntt

Reaction score
I don’t think Irvin had the most pure talent but when you take into account the total package including heart, ability to make the big play, consistency, leadership and always being there when he was needed it’s Irvin and by a mile. I don’t think this is even a discussion. Where I’ll go out on a limb is I’ll say CeeDee is already looking like #3 and will soon overtake Hayes for #2.

kskboys

Reaction score
Determining who is the most talented is arbitrary unless we are using a specific standard. In fact, we are not even comparing the most talented, are we? The question is, who is the best?

Being the best doesn't necessarily mean the most talented. Some players are more gifted than talented. If speed a talent or a gift? What about size? Talent is something you have to aquuire. Being gifted is something you are born with.

You also have to look at the context, that period of time they played in.

Bob Hayes averaged 20 yards a reception. Irvin averaged 15.9 yards. Despite the longer career, Irvin scored less. Michael had 65 TD's while Bob had 71.

The NFL regular season was 12-14 games long during Hayes's career, 16 games long for Irvin.

The NFL was much different in the 70's, different in rules, different in level of sophistication. For all these reasons, I settled on a tie.
Those stats are almost irrelevant. Irvin was a possession WR, Bob was more of a deep threat. Of course Bob will have a higher YPC. And TD's is one of the poorest ways to grade out players. Irvin didn't score more because he had one of the best RBs of all time running behind the best OL of all time, so there was no reason to pass.

Irvin was voted into the HOF immediately. Hayes was voted in much later. Which means that Irvin's peers thought he was better than Haye's peers thought he was.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
It’s a team sport. Irvin had more toughness, blocking skills, leadership, clutch and QB Loyalty than rest of these WRs on list. Playmaker always gets my vote.