Michael Irvin best Cowboys receiver ever?

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Dude, the thread is about WRs. I know Hayes changed the way defenses play
in coverage. It was a moot point on that day because Bullett Bob wouldn't
run routes full speed and ran most of them with his hands in his pants.

For that reason, since the goal is to be champion, he's not going to be near
the top of my list. I'll ask Landry about it the next time I see him. My guess
is the backup didn't have the talent.
For the record I don't think Hayes is #1

But I also don't think he was so bad in GB that Dallas played every offensive snap "with 10 players"

He might have taken a play or two off that day and might have kept his hands covered a play or two. Your right about that. But I don't think he took the whole game off either

Just trying to keep it factual that's all.

If he clearly mailed it in on every snap and wasn't benched then that's a coaching issue as much or more than a player issue. Regardless of how good or bad the backup was

Pipelayer72

Reaction score
Irvin is #1 all time in my opinion with Pearson #2. But I always liked guys like Tony Hill and Alvin Harper who were luxury players that would often burn opponents with big plays at crucial moment. Harper was the 49ers nemesis for a while back in the 90's. Still remember that long catch and run play in the NFCCG that pretty much sealed S.F.'s fate and put the Cowboys in the SB.

RoboQB

Reaction score
For the record I don't think Hayes is #1

But I also don't think he was so bad in GB that Dallas played every offensive snap "with 10 players"

He might have taken a play or two off that day and might have kept his hands covered a play or two. Your right about that. But I don't think he took the whole game off either

Just trying to keep it factual that's all.

If he clearly mailed it in on every snap and wasn't benched then that's a coaching issue as much or more than a player issue. Regardless of how good or bad the backup was
The focal point of my comments is that Michael Irvin would've been a factor
regardless of the cold. Hayes took more than a few plays off. Sure, it was
ridiculously cold. I get it but I stand by my comments based on the thread.

Bart Starr was 14-24 with 2 TDs. Pretty good stats for that era in any weather.
Dandy Don was only 10-25. An incredible stat that I didn't know is that Starr
was sacked 8 times! The SB Trophy should've been the Landry Trophy, not the Lombardi Trophy. If Dallas wins, maybe that happens.

It's a deep cut. Not Hayes' fault for being human. The Playmaker would've
"willed" the team to victory, I'm certain.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
The focal point of my comments is that Michael Irvin would've been a factor
regardless of the cold. Hayes took more than a few plays off. Sure, it was
ridiculously cold. I get it but I stand by my comments based on the thread.

Bart Starr was 14-24 with 2 TDs. Pretty good stats for that era in any weather.
Dandy Don was only 10-25. An incredible stat that I didn't know is that Starr
was sacked 8 times! The SB Trophy should've been the Landry Trophy, not the Lombardi Trophy. If Dallas wins, maybe that happens.

It's a deep cut. Not Hayes' fault for being human. The Playmaker would've
"willed" the team to victory, I'm certain.
Understood

I share your assessment of Irvin.
From a pure competitive fire standpoint, no cowboys receiver (and probably no Cowboys player at any position, ever) holds a candle to Playmaker

He had a desire to win that is nearly impossible to match

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Whats your thoughts?

It ain't even close. #88 is my favorite WR of ALL TIME. And yes, I understand Jerry Rice is a god - I watched him in the 80s and I respect his voodoo - but he was not #88. SF wins many, many more championships if they had a guy with Michael's tangible and intangible skills.

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
Not making sense of that. Using the whole field is what makes everyone better. Throwing to Witten drew in coverage which helped TO get open deep.

And then you had to take into account that TO didn't have the best hands, often dropping keep 3rd/4th down passes.

Why do you think you can just fling it deep every play?
I agree with getting Witten the ball to open up the passing game, but I’m sorry, 50 of those targets should’ve been subtracted and given to TO. It would’ve generated more big plays or touchdowns.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Hard to say no. Bullet comes awfully close.
As does Drew Pearson whose career I saw every game. Pearson is the most clutch playmaker I’ve ever seen in Dallas. Irvin is a 9.9 but Pearson is a 10.0. Clutch receiver in every sense of the word. Legend!

Amarillofan82

Reaction score
Irvin
Pearson
Hayes
Witten (only because he might have been a TE but put up WR numbers)
Dez

NickZepp

Reaction score
Bullet Bob Hayes has to get the nod because they pretty much had to start using a zone to even come close to stopping him. He was ahead of his time.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So hard to judge in a vacume.

Irvin had hof QB, RB, OL that helped him be all he could be.

kskboys

Reaction score
1 Michael Irvin
2 Bob Hayes *
3 Dez Bryant
4 Drew Pearson
5 Terrell Owens
6 Tony Hill
7 CeeDee Lamb
8 Miles Austin
9 Amari Cooper
10 Cole Beasley

I usually prefer to select players that I've actually seen play but there is no question that " Bullet" Bob Hayes
a legendary Olympic gold medalist sprinter and record breaker - evolutionized the NFL for life
in how they simply had to design and change defenses in order to have a chance to defend him.
Flat out could not run with Hayes, and he translated Olympic speed into football speed.

The NFL team defenses has to design zone-coverage vs Hayes - I'd be interested in what team/coach was the first to try " Zone " vs Hayes.

From the clips I was actually able to see, Bullet wasn't a straight liner.
He had legit receiver skills and he was also a prolific punt returner as well.

c821873f874f8281681bfd9c27a85dbf.jpg
There is absolutely no way Dez is that high. Not even close.

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree with getting Witten the ball to open up the passing game, but I’m sorry, 50 of those targets should’ve been subtracted and given to TO. It would’ve generated more big plays or touchdowns.
I think you completely missed the logic.

Throwing up everything long makes for a one dimensional O. I'm guessing that you're a young dude.

GMO415

Reaction score
Bob Hayes
Drew Pearson
Michael Irvin

Any order, but I find it hard to say any receiver was better than Pearson. I never saw him drop a pass, and he was always money with the game on the line. All three of those guys could start today for us, no question.
Hayes
TO
Irvin
Pearson
Dez

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
I'd take Pearson today.

Irvin would have to drastically alter his game to play today and I don't think he'd be nearly as effective without his classic push off...which would get flagged left and right now. Was illegal back then too....but they just let it go (us winning was good business back then).

So give me Pearson if we're comparing apples 2 apples and making them play within the rules.