Michael Irvin best Cowboys receiver ever?

Mannix

Reaction score
Irvin may have been the best Cowboy ever based on his leadership alone. My favorite Cowboy ever…I even own a #47 Hurricanes jersey. Weird fact though…I’ll take you to dinner if you can find even ONE clip of him laying out horizontal for a ball…I guarantee that it does not exist. Always thought it was very odd…maybe some kind of phobia…I dunno. Certainly wasn’t laziness or lack of courage.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not making sense of that. Using the whole field is what makes everyone better. Throwing to Witten drew in coverage which helped TO get open deep.

And then you had to take into account that TO didn't have the best hands, often dropping keep 3rd/4th down passes.

Why do you think you can just fling it deep every play?
Also lets not forget that Witten was insanely good. I think some people are just remembering old and slow Witten. Witten was an absolute playmaker in his prime

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Bob Hayes changed the way teams defend the pass. Michael was the undeniable heart of a team that won 3 Super Bowls.

Pure receiver, I go Michael.

Impact on the game, it's Bob.

Looks like the best you're going to get from me is a tie.
Bob Hayes changed the way defenses played the pass.
The NFL had to change the *rules* because of Irvin.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Not making sense of that. Using the whole field is what makes everyone better. Throwing to Witten drew in coverage which helped TO get open deep.

And then you had to take into account that TO didn't have the best hands, often dropping keep 3rd/4th down passes.

Why do you think you can just fling it deep every play?
Really tragic for the Cowboys that Glenn broke in 2007.

Glenn was up there with TO in 2006 with 1000+ yards, and better YPT. More yards than Witten.

2007 was already dominant. Add a healthy Glenn to All Pros TO and Witten, and we steamroll through the season, and then have the depth to overcome TO's injury for the playoff game. So close to getting over the hump against the Giants. A Crayton pull up on the winning TD pass.

A healthy Glenn would have ensured that win.

Get over that hump, and TO just gets more healthy for the following playoff games.

Almost Antonio.

Really too bad that Romo had that crew in 2006. First year starting, and that only began at midseason. No camp. He wasn't nearly all he could be yet.

Shane612

Reaction score
Difficult to compare players from different era.
Michael Irvin was very reliable, for sure.

kskboys

Reaction score
LOL ! Are you kidding ?

Besides just jolting up a familiar name for the sake of being the back of a jersey, I have no idea
why one would bring up WR Lance Alworth (who only played one mere season after being traded to Cowboys)
as a Cowboys great.

Not even on the map as a Cowboys player.

Alworth clearly did all his HOF production in his San Diego Chargers career and I believe he retired right after
that one lone Cowboys season.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/career-receiving.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_Alworth
Can you even read?

We were discussing talent. Not production, talent. Quit being obtuse and read before you post so you won't sound silly.

kskboys

Reaction score
IT is remarkable what TO accomplished with some of the worst hands of any top WR ever
It absolutely is. Dude had a gear that was other worldly. He'd be running at top speed, seemingly, w/ the DB in his hip pocket, and suddenly WARP, light speed. He had this burst that came from nowhere.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
I can't find the vid now, but a few years ago there was a video by a former cornerback who ranked Irvin as #2 out of all of the receivers he faced, above Randy Moss with obviously Rice being #1. It's obvious that he is the best we've had. Was productive despite being double teamed all the time.

kskboys

Reaction score
Irvin may have been the best Cowboy ever based on his leadership alone. My favorite Cowboy ever…I even own a #47 Hurricanes jersey. Weird fact though…I’ll take you to dinner if you can find even ONE clip of him laying out horizontal for a ball…I guarantee that it does not exist. Always thought it was very odd…maybe some kind of phobia…I dunno. Certainly wasn’t laziness or lack of courage.
Aikman was one of the most accurate QBs of all time. May have something to do with it.

kskboys

Reaction score
I can't find the vid now, but a few years ago there was a video by a former cornerback who ranked Irvin as #2 out of all of the receivers he faced, above Randy Moss with obviously Rice being #1. It's obvious that he is the best we've had. Was productive despite being double teamed all the time.
Irvin was better than Moss, not really close. Irvin is top 5 all time.

kskboys

Reaction score
Really tragic for the Cowboys that Glenn broke in 2007.

Glenn was up there with TO in 2006 with 1000+ yards, and better YPT. More yards than Witten.

2007 was already dominant. Add a healthy Glenn to All Pros TO and Witten, and we steamroll through the season, and then have the depth to overcome TO's injury for the playoff game. So close to getting over the hump against the Giants. A Crayton pull up on the winning TD pass.

A healthy Glenn would have ensured that win.

Get over that hump, and TO just gets more healthy for the following playoff games.

Almost Antonio.

Really too bad that Romo had that crew in 2006. First year starting, and that only began at midseason. No camp. He wasn't nearly all he could be yet.
If you count the mercs and short timers, Terry Glenn is definitely in the discussion of best WRs we've had. Very underrated.

quickccc

Reaction score
Can you even read?

We were discussing talent. Not production, talent. Quit being obtuse and read before you post so you won't sound silly.
Lol... again a guy who was basically done in the NFL by the time we traded for him.

The "talent" was already on fumes and headed for his pension plan in his very last year in the NFL.

but cuz you see a "past" familiar name on the back of the jersey, for whatever reason you want to anoint a near retired aged, one year for cowboys, "best talent" to ever put on Cowboys uniform ..??

This sounds koo -koo for Cocoa Puffs..

kskboys

Reaction score
Lol... again a guy who was basically done in the NFL by the time we traded for him.

The "talent" was already on fumes and headed for his pension plan in his very last year in the NFL.

but cuz you see a "past" familiar name on the back of the jersey, for whatever reason you want to anoint a near retired aged, one year for cowboys, "best talent" to ever put on Cowboys uniform ..??

This sounds koo -koo for Cocoa Puffs..
Dude, are you losing it? This isn't that hard to comprehend. Just stop.

I get it, you don't understand what "talent" is. Quit making a fool out of yourself and look it up.