Michael Irvin says Roy Williams doesnt run complete routes

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I was listening to Michael Irvin and Kevin Wiley and they said throughout
the Ravens game Roy Williams wasn't finishing his routes and his body language
was horrible. In his defense, they said he energized the team when he did catch the ball.

Brian_C82

Reaction score
Didn't Deion accuse RW of having a poor work ethic?

You know you're lazy when Deion Sanders criticizes your work ethic.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Brian_C82;2524601 said:

:laugh2:

Although this situation is enough to make you cry. :(

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Troy aikman referred to him repeatedly as the worst route runner he has ever seen and Laufenberg has commented now two weeks in a row, that watching roy williams and T.O. run routes its no wonder the offense is struggling. He said he couldnt figure out which route either was running and they keep stopping on top of it.

That is why I crack up when I see joe the blogger making these long winded posts about how garrett and romo suck.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
theebs;2524611 said:
Troy aikman referred to him repeatedly as the worst route runner he has ever seen and Laufenberg has commented now two weeks in a row, that watching roy williams and T.O. run routes its no wonder the offense is struggling. He said he couldnt figure out which route either was running and they keep stopping on top of it.

That is why I crack up when I see joe the blogger making these long winded posts about how garrett and romo suck.

Please show me the quote where Troy says Roy is "the worst route runner I've ever seen", I'd love to read that for myself.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
theebs;2524611 said:

Maybe Romo gets a pass, but what's Garrett's excuse?

If Roy and T.O. are constantly running the wrong route, how about benching them a play or two? How about going more to a running attack?

But he won't stand up to either. And neither will Wade, because this coaching staff is weak and lets the players run the show.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Brian_C82;2524601 said:

None of this surprises me about a player that came from Detroit.

I expect Roy Williams to be an absolute BEAST next year when he is forced to go through our offseason conditioning program.

He will be in the best shape of his life next season.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
When i was at the game, i saw nothing special about Roy Williams. Hate to say that because i always thought of him as a great player. The D-fense shaded TO the whole game and Roy was one-one and i never saw him wide open. Honestly he was invisible on the field. Maybe he is a Keyshawn type player where you just have to throw him the ball and let him use his body. I don’t know who is at fault to why he has done jack-crap this year but Garrett also had trouble getting Felix the ball (ie Commanders game). I blame all those overpaid idiots.

cowboyz

Reaction score
maybe that's by design.

if they can't figure out what your running from the film, what is the defense going to do?

genuis, i tell you, genuis!

:laugh2:

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
TheCount;2524617 said:
Please show me the quote where Troy says Roy is "the worst route runner I've ever seen", I'd love to read that for myself.

You can hear him say it. I cant remember if I was watching a lions game or if it was a cowboys lion game in 06, But he said it. And I then heard him reiterate it on the musers the following week on the ticket.

He didnt say it with venom, he said in a way that was like I cant believe he catches all these balls when he is this poor on the technical side...

If I get the time or the desire I will go back and watch the 04 and 06 games against the lions. I think its one of those games.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
theebs;2524611 said:

Here's video evidence of Roy running one of those 'what route was that' routes, lol.

[youtube]0tp3hJ5Zkzo[/youtube]

Now I do think he can help the team though because of the point I am making about him reminding me of Irvin as far as body type goes.

Roy isn't quick, but he's big and athletic. When Romo learns to trust him and throw the ball in his vicinity a few times and Roy 'goes and get's it' then that will become a part of the Cowboys offense.

That's going to take a training camp where Romo can throw 2000 passes while Roy is 'covered' and not worry about INT's.

Now you combine Roy's skills and T.O.'s mouth I can only say one thing.

Please let me see the Cowboys begin the 2009 season with Roy and TJ Housh as their two starting WR's.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2524618 said:
Maybe Romo gets a pass, but what's Garrett's excuse?

If Roy and T.O. are constantly running the wrong route, how about benching them a play or two? How about going more to a running attack?

But he won't stand up to either. And neither will Wade, because this coaching staff is weak and lets the players run the show.

How is it garrets fault if owens or anyone else, like witten has a mental mistake misreads the coverage when he has options on his route, if the quarterback reads it correctly and the wr/te/rb misreads it and runs the wrong route like witten against pittsburgh or if they just stop and start again like owens constantly.

How is that garrett's fault? If owens has a 4 route to the sideline and he needs to come out of his break hard and go get the ball and stay in bounds, how is garrett or romo's fault if he just stops and stands there and the ball is caught in bounds by a defender where the wr should have been?

I dont know how anyone is to blame except the individual.

Romo was at fault in the first Commanders game when he was fooled by a coverage change at the snap and horton dropped off and intercepted the ball. That is a mental mistake on romo. And he owned up to it, its too bad everyone else wouldnt do that.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2524631 said:
Here's video evidence of Roy running one of those 'what route was that' routes, lol.

Now I do think he can help the team though because of the point I am making about him reminding me of Irvin as far as body type goes.

Roy isn't quick, but he's big and athletic. When Romo learns to trust him and throw the ball in his vicinity a few times and Roy 'goes and get's it' then that will become a part of the Cowboys offense.

That's going to take a training camp where Romo can throw 2000 passes while Roy is 'covered' and not worry about INT's.

Please let me see the Cowboys being the 2009 season with Roy and TJ Housh as their two starting WR's.

lol...Larry brown and coaches film....No way.....

There is a local idiot here who says Larrry Brown doesnt see coaches film!!!!

and yes that was aikmans point with williams, they are going to have to learn to just throw him the ball so he can go get it. He is not going to run a route like tory holt. A guy like holt would help immediately because of his tremendous technical skill.

mrla

A Passion for the Star
Reaction score

Please let me see the Cowboys being the 2009 season with Roy and TJ Housh as their two starting WR's.[/quote]

I hope you are joking...
You don't seriously think this will happen...do you???

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2524631 said:

Please let me see the Cowboys being the 2009 season with Roy and TJ Housh as their two starting WR's.
Looks like he ran a comeback route to me, or were you expecting him to run the route as telestrated? Or maybe you expected him to blow by a corner giving him a 15 yard cushion?

That was probably the worst example you could have used seeing as how Witten scored because the two safeties were worried about Owens and Roy.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
theebs;2524637 said:
How is it garrets fault if owens or anyone else, like witten has a mental mistake misreads the coverage when he has options on his route, if the quarterback reads it correctly and the wr/te/rb misreads it and runs the wrong route like witten against pittsburgh or if they just stop and start again like owens constantly.

How is that garrett's fault? If owens has a 4 route to the sideline and he needs to come out of his break hard and go get the ball and stay in bounds, how is garrett or romo's fault if he just stops and stands there and the ball is caught in bounds by a defender where the wr should have been?

I dont know how anyone is to blame except the individual.

Romo was at fault in the first Commanders game when he was fooled by a coverage change at the snap and horton dropped off and intercepted the ball. That is a mental mistake on romo. And he owned up to it, its too bad everyone else wouldnt do that.

I don't take Irvin's comments to mean that T.O. and Roy are running another option of a route. I interpret the comments that the receivers aren't running the right routes. They're not finishing their routes or aren't where they should be.

If so, then it is definitely the receivers' fault and, as offensive coordinator, it is Garrett's fault for not doing something about his receivers constantly being in the wrong place.

Now, maybe the other receivers aren't running their routes either and it's a choice between the talented of the lesser evils.

But the criticism suggests that the receivers aren't where they're suppose to be, not that Romo is reading one thing from the defense, the receivers another and they're miscommunicating on the routes.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
TheCount;2524650 said:
Looks like he ran a comeback route to me, or were you expecting him to run the route as telestrated?

That was probably the worst example you could have used seeing as how Witten scored because the two safeties were worried about Owens and Roy.

I was going to post the same thing. Not saying Roy is a great route runner, but that play is designed for Witten to get the ball. Roy is just supposed to hold the safety there.

Now loafing when the play isn't designed for you isn't good, either, but that's kind of a different argument.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2524631 said:

[youtube]0tp3hJ5Zkzo[youtube]
What's bizarre about this isn't that it's a bad route. He just stops. It looks like a comeback, but it's not really because he just stops. Now, if he'd stopped after he knew the pass was already made to Witten, that's one thing. There's no reason to keep running the route after the pass has been made. But I don't see how he can really tell the pass has already been made by the time he stops. He had to know beforehand that he wasn't getting the ball.

If that's the case, then what he did is fine -- sort of. He did run hard to begin the route, so as not to tip the hand that he was far down the list of reads for Tony (my guess is he was the 4th read on this route at best, with Witten and TO being 1 and 2, regardless of order, and the dumpoff being the 3rd read). But the reason he gets the "sort of" is that he needs to realize Tony is going to improvise a good bit and he needs to keep trying to get open even if he's the 4th read.

In summary, I guess, is that the route wasn't the problem -- the problem was him just standing there after he ran his "decoy" route.