Michael Mayer is starting to worry me

baltcowboy

Reaction score
It’s amazing fans are arguing a player that at worst he is being compared to future hall of Famer Jason Witten. Plus the Cowboys haven’t even drafted him yet. :facepalm:

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Yeah I think I'm out on Mayer, especially as a 1st round pick. I'm all in on Sam Laporta but not sure how we get him in the 2nd round without trading up. I think he could be gone by 58 and maybe even by 50.

Flamma

Reaction score
I wouldn't go into any draft with the idea of picking a TE in the first round. As a last resort with all else off the board, sure.

cnuball21

Reaction score

Kind of hope someone else takes him

It’s just crazy how much good data is out there now to help with drafting.

All of this stuff is exactly why I don’t like Mayer in the 1st. Hopefully MM and his new found love for analytics is looking at all this stuff ne telling Jerry he can get a similar player later.

Aven8

Reaction score
The scary thing is at pick 26 and Mayer and Gibbs are both sitting there. I have to lean towards Gibbs in that scenario. That dude is going to be a star in this league.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
It’s gonna be fun revisiting this thread 2-3 years from now and see where Washington is at in his career.

My guess is his most ardent supporters will just slink back and act like this never happened.

Washington played on an offense without a WR of any consequence. He was a blocking TE that only got involved in the offense on rollouts or leaking into the flat. He is not lining up outside beating guys and getting open based on his route running. Yes, he won some reps due to his athleticism that will always play in college, but to think this guy is a Day 1 NFL starter and should be receiving starting TE targets is foolhearty.

jnday

Reaction score
Mayer = Witten. You’re right. Fans of a team are going to look back with fondness on his career. Just hope it’s not us.
So you don’t want a Witten clone on the Cowboys? He was the best TE in the league for several years. Why would you not want that?

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I think folks have an unrealistic expectation of the kind of player that will be available at 26. Mayer may not have the potential to be elite but I think he will be very good.

ghst187

Reaction score
i disagree.
he is the best te in the group.
IF that is their prefered target...mayer at 26 will be a home-run.
he'll be one of our most consistent players week in...week out.
I tend to agree. He will be fantastic immediately. The other TEs may be great too but unlikely as quickly or as guaranteed.
Not worried about his speed, he is pretty good on routes and Witten was still catching 10 passes per game for 100 yards and a TD while only running an 8 second 40.

Gaede

Reaction score
The scary thing is at pick 26 and Mayer and Gibbs are both sitting there. I have to lean towards Gibbs in that scenario. That dude is going to be a star in this league.
In that scenario, I'd much rather draft Gibbs. Someone who can threaten the defense any time he touches the ball

We don't need more chainmovers. We need playmakers. Get a second round big WR to move the chains rather than a first RdTE

Malhavoc

Reaction score
In that scenario, I'd much rather draft Gibbs. Someone who can threaten the defense any time he touches the ball

We don't need more chainmovers. We need playmakers. Get a second round big WR to move the chains rather than a first RdTE
I’m a Mayer fan but I would take Gibbs.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I think it'll Maybe be Mayer if the.board is wiped of Flowers, JSN, and Johnston.

If either of those are on the board it'll be one of them.

Look at players to help you beat San Fran, Philly....

Is that Mayer?

manster4ever

Reaction score
You don’t need to spend a first round pick to get a guy with this skill set.

His production is not going to be a lot greater than guys drafted later on if they get the same opportunity.
Correct....flat out accurate statement. He won't be our 1st rounder IMO, nor will any other TE. 2nd round? Maybe.

jnday

Reaction score
I think it'll Maybe be Mayer if the.board is wiped of Flowers, JSN, and Johnston.

Is that Mayer?
I have read a lot about Mayer today. I have read that he is a Witten clone and he has the best hands in the draft. I have read this several different times in several different places. Fans around here have forgotten just how good Witten really was. He was the best TE in football for several years and the Giants and Eagles were horrified to face him on Sundays. Witten gets no respect from this fanbase. It’s pathetic. Any other fanbase would jump for joy knowing that they was getting a Witten clone in the top ten. Dallas fans don’t want the clone in the first round SMH.

jnday

Reaction score

Is that Mayer?
If Mayer is a Witten clone, yes, he will help beat the 49ers and Eagles.

cowboys5xsbs

Reaction score
I have read a lot about Mayer today. I have read that he is a Witten clone and he has the best hands in the draft. I have read this several different times in several different places. Fans around here have forgotten just how good Witten really was. He was the best TE in football for several years and the Giants and Eagles were horrified to face him on Sundays. Witten gets no respect from this fanbase. It’s pathetic. Any other fanbase would jump for joy knowing that they was getting a Witten clone in the top ten. Dallas fans don’t want the clone in the first round SMH.
3rd and Witten was a thing of beauty