Michael Mayer is starting to worry me

rambo2

Reaction score
Cool.. All his pass rushing was him blitzing up the middle so I don’t know how you projected him playing on the edge and using a defensive ends skill set based on his college tape.
I could see that Parsons had it in him, Drew Sanders looks like another outstanding pass rusher.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
Back to the topic of Mayer…he’s a very good player. If someone doesn’t like him at 26, that’s fine. I don’t prefer him at 26 for the Cowboys either but that doesn’t make him any less of a player.

And IMO, it’s hard to argue he isn’t the most complete TE in the class today but that doesn’t mean he gets drafted first or he will be the better pro. It’s all speculation, especially when using the highest level NFL comps.

And if someone thinks he has a second round value, that’s fine as well. There is a good chance many teams drafting late R1 may not have a R1 grade on any prospects remaining.

And he has been used in the slot and out wide in college. That doesn’t seem that old school to me.

The reason these posts go off the rails is because people make absolute claims and dump on others opinions

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I could see that Parsons had it in him, Drew Sanders looks like another outstanding pass rusher.
Yeah but at least with Sanders there is a ton of video on this.

With Parsons he was all athlete and he looked awful in coverage but his 4.3 40 time made you think he could eventually learn that skill and be good at it.

Still the debate was a middle linebacker worth a premium pick. I still say no and when he plays linebacker we usually just sit on here after games asking where he was today.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I think many dislike Mayer here cause he isn’t that so called modern TE who is more of an oversized receiver. Kincaid, Mustgrave fit that type, where Mayer is more of an old schooled TE, one who can do everything well and is an asset in both the run and passing game.

i dont dislike him.he just doesnt give you any true mismatch opportunities and his YAC potential is very low and thats how guys like Klece kill the opposition.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
i dont dislike him.he just doesnt give you any true mismatch opportunities and his YAC potential is very low and thats how guys like Klece kill the opposition.
He just isn’t that type, more of a possession type and will also help you greatly in line as a blocker

reddyuta

Reaction score
He just isn’t that type, more of a possession type and will also help you greatly in line as a blocker

we can use a guy like that for sure but we dont need to spend a 1st RD pick on him.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Please don’t be so dense.

I’m not saying anything that isn’t common sense.

You guys think you have me in some kinda gotchya moment.

If me not knowing Micah Parsons was an elite edge rusher is some kind of knock on me then so be it lol.

He still just a guy at linebacker though. Nothing special. Kinda like I said when we drafted him and kind like when Green Bay ran us over for 200 yards and everyone wanted him back on the edge rushing.
You can’t make a judgement on him playing LB because he rarely played the position at all. I believe his size, speed and athleticism would make him a great LB.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Parsons was billed as a pass rusher when they drafted him. They emphasized it at the press conference that night.

So, no. Nobody who was wrong on him here from the start saw him against the Chargers and presented the idea of him being a pass rusher.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
90% of this place wanted one of the two meaningless cornerbacks instead of Micah. He wasn't even a consideration to them. After the pick was made only the remaining 10% and the worthless homer brigade were happy about it.

rambo2

Reaction score
Relax. You'll like our 1st round pick. No matter who it is.

Maybe write up a glowing report now and fill in the name later.
With their recent history of picks it would suggest that they certainly will get a very good player with their 1st pick.

rambo2

Reaction score
we can use a guy like that for sure but we dont need to spend a 1st RD pick on him.
The only way that they can get him is with a 1st round pick. There is no reason for him to fall out of the 1st round.

cowboys5xsbs

Reaction score
90% of this place wanted one of the two meaningless cornerbacks instead of Micah. He wasn't even a consideration to them. After the pick was made only the remaining 10% and the worthless homer brigade were happy about it.
Uhhh Surtain is a stud and an all pro. He is far from meaningless.

Gaede

Reaction score
Good graph. LaPorta giving me Kittle vibes. He was similarly disregarded despite size/speed. People forget that dude was like a fourth round pick and was a prospect because of his blocking

baltcowboy

Reaction score
After the first round Jerry said that Parsons may be the best pass rusher in that draft.

Just another thing I blew off as Jerry ridiculousness.

Absolutely no scouting reports had him as the type of player he is, so it’s possible a lot of what we read on these guys isn’t perfectly accurate. Parsons supposedly lacked football instincts as well. Ok.
The Cowboys were lucky with both CeeDee and Parsons that there was no combine in 2020 and 2021. They really got lucky that Parsons play college ball his junior year. Parsons was the consensus top defensive player going into the 2020 season.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
I do understand the lack of wow with mayers. And people think they should get in the fourth room. I get that sentiment but he will be here for 10 years Dak DAK will love him and he will move the chains. Really and truly if we pick someone else it’s not gonna kill me or anybody else. He said save solid selection that will help us right off the bat