Michael Thomas contract compared to Amari Cooper

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They saw the offense at 3-5 without Cooper. They're stuck.
Kind of the same with Elliott. I don't know about the new triplets but Elliott and Cooper are the Twins.

One thing that is apparent, at least to me, if they are going to give Prescott that big contract and make him the Man, they absolutely have to have a route runner like Cooper because he can get "college open" as well as any in the game. And Prescott is not yet at that "throw them open" stage of his development.

If they don't give Cooper his deal, what do they do? This is the same situation they're in with the QB. A lot of us don't want to see them give him that much cap but what are the other options? Not one of the most opposed to a big contract has a workable solution and the Cooper situation is the same.

And while I do like him, it is fact that he will disappear at times and when he was his best in OAK, he had Crabtree on the other side so it is critical to spread the wealth with the ball and not let the DB's lock Cooper down. They're going to pay him a lot of money but he's the only one, the rest of the WR corps are affordable...…..now.

erod

Reaction score
Kind of the same with Elliott. I don't know about the new triplets but Elliott and Cooper are the Twins.

One thing that is apparent, at least to me, if they are going to give Prescott that big contract and make him the Man, they absolutely have to have a route runner like Cooper because he can get "college open" as well as any in the game. And Prescott is not yet at that "throw them open" stage of his development.

If they don't give Cooper his deal, what do they do? This is the same situation they're in with the QB. A lot of us don't want to see them give him that much cap but what are the other options? Not one of the most opposed to a big contract has a workable solution and the Cooper situation is the same.

And while I do like him, it is fact that he will disappear at times and when he was his best in OAK, he had Crabtree on the other side so it is critical to spread the wealth with the ball and not let the DB's lock Cooper down. They're going to pay him a lot of money but he's the only one, the rest of the WR corps are affordable...…..now.
We're about to pay Dak like he's equal to Mahomes, Rodgers, and Brees. Houston is going to do the same with Watson, and the Rams with Goff.

erod

Reaction score
They're not. They're just doing what they always do. This is what happens when poor talent evaluators run the show.

Are you serious? How many great drafts in a row do you require?

Brady and Brees do what they do with ANY receivers. Doesn't matter. Brady won a Super Bowl with a bunch of clowns. On any other team, Edelman is just another guy.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We're about to pay Dak like he's equal to Mahomes, Rodgers, and Brees. Houston is going to do the same with Watson, and the Rams with Goff.
You can add others to that list as well because they will lack options other than the draft because good QB's are not going to be available in FA.

That's why I think, if he just maintains where he is now, Trevor Lawrence is going to cause a QB rush unlike we've seen before, especially if the team with the top pick isn't going QB. And while he's regarded as close to "sure thing" as they come, so was Ryan Leaf. I remember it as a tossup between him and Manning, can't lose with either.

The goal is an A QB but some teams are going to have to settle for B's and C's and build around them. That's the most positive part of this for me, they can't play it like they did with Romo and give him a mediocre OL and D with a decent player here and there. They have to build a team around him and particularly, an offense for him to execute and lead ala Aikman.

There are just so many A's, nothing wrong with a B if a team realizes what they have like the Bears, Ravens, Bucs and Giants did. A B can do it as long as they don't try to make him an A. Then he becomes a C.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The results did and they're attributing that to him because nothing else changed that dramatically. I agree, the offense wasn't really appreciably better but the appearance was.
If you pick apart the statistics specifically for Cooper, then it would be accurate to suggest the offensive change was perception. What some leave out is that when you have a legit No. 1 WR who demands more attention it opens up the offense for the other WRs & TEs.

The TEs were more productive the second half.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you pick apart the statistics specifically for Cooper, then it would be accurate to suggest the offensive change was perception. What some leave out is that when you have a legit No. 1 WR who demands more attention it opens up the offense for the other WRs & TEs.

The TEs were more productive the second half.
No argument but the fact is he disappeared at times in OAK and there could be reasons for that and I want to see him for an entire season in Dallas. I like him, liked him at Bama, and he's a talented WR but it remains to be seen how much attention he will draw. Some have the impression he was doubled all of the time, just like Bryant and neither was doubled was much as some think.

I wanted them to trade for him because they would have taken a WR with that 1st anyway, although with a lot less cap going to a rook, and I felt he was better than any WR they could have drafted.

When players like Cooper, Jones and Ridley can get your attention on a team that's known for the run and D, that's special. And I love the fact he's not a diva but those Bama boys learn early, Bama ball is team ball.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
Phack no!! why do all our players FEEL they deserve to be paid the highest when they arent the best, not even top 5 in some cases other then Zeke? I dont care what the market is, you get paid by production by position, health, and age etc

If everyone of our big time FAS want to be THE highest paid ie next up..i say time to klet tem go and rebuild or restock..im sorry but at some point more teams need to say NO, heres what we are offering or BYE!

While I totally agree with your way of thinking, unfortunately that's not how it works. Players are going to be paid based on market value. If it worked the way you think it should (and again I wish it worked that way too), I would tell these people "This is what we're offering. Take it or leave it." You do that and we could have a skeleton team and be rated like the Browns..

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You've got the market rate for specific positions weighed against the team's needs and options.

It is like a gun to their head because the agent knows exactly what options the team doesn't have. Think Prescott's agent and Lawrence's agent played hardball because they wanted to? They had all the leverage because the team doesn't have options other than let the player walk and try and replace him. And agents understand timing better than GM's. This Prescot and Cooper negotiation didn't really get going until the agents knew the options were few.

Why do we think Belichick doesn't get himself into these situations? Because it's an eventual no win because a team has too much going to too few and these GM's don't plan it that way, they're not dummies. He didn't even take a swing at the pitch by Flowers' agent because he knew he wasn't going to pay it.

The Cowboys are going to be in a very tight position with decisions about who to pay but does anyone think Smith and Vander Esch aren't going to want top dollar? If Lord Byron grades out in the top 6, he's going to want to get paid like it. And some are who cares about Byron Jones? I do, list all of the top 10 CBs this team has had in the last 20 years.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
No argument but the fact is he disappeared at times in OAK and there could be reasons for that and I want to see him for an entire season in Dallas. I like him, liked him at Bama, and he's a talented WR but it remains to be seen how much attention he will draw. Some have the impression he was doubled all of the time, just like Bryant and neither was doubled was much as some think.

I wanted them to trade for him because they would have taken a WR with that 1st anyway, although with a lot less cap going to a rook, and I felt he was better than any WR they could have drafted.

When players like Cooper, Jones and Ridley can get your attention on a team that's known for the run and D, that's special. And I love the fact he's not a diva but those Bama boys learn early, Bama ball is team ball.
You can say a WR disappears at times for just about every team. It happens. Defenses sometimes are able to take the threat away.

blueblood70

Reaction score
While I totally agree with your way of thinking, unfortunately that's not how it works. Players are going to be paid based on market value. If it worked the way you think it should (and again I wish it worked that way too), I would tell these people "This is what we're offering. Take it or leave it." You do that and we could have a skeleton team and be rated like the Browns..
I didnt mean to that extreme of low balling the guys but if they can not recognize a fair deserving offer and want more then BYE!!

Johnny23

Reaction score
Are you serious? How many great drafts in a row do you require?

Brady and Brees do what they do with ANY receivers. Doesn't matter. Brady won a Super Bowl with a bunch of clowns. On any other team, Edelman is just another guy.
Dead serious. Jerry and Son are still poor.
The entire Jones family.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
People saying a trade was bad doesn't make the player bad.

This.

We gave up a 1st for a year and a half rental on Cooper, and the right to have first crack at signing him to his next contract, in which Cooper will have all the leverage in the negotiation.

Cooper has been much better than expected. And we're going to pay through the nose for that talent. Is that really the way to make it to the SB, by paying through the nose for a WR? History suggests not.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
So far, it seems Coop is betting on himself. He is going to play out 2019, hopefully rack up massive stats for us, see how the WR market looks after Julio Jones and Michael Thomas sign their big deals, and then he's going to quote an asking price to the Cowboys.

Unlike Dak, Cooper had a rookie contract of 22mil+, and is already scheduled for 14mil more this year. There's no rush for Cooper, and there's no reason for him to feel married to the Cowboys.

On the flip side, Jerry would look like a fool for giving up a 1st and watching Cooper walk after a year and a half. Jerry has to sign him.

All the leverage is with Cooper. Get used to it now. Cooper will be overpaid. That's baked into this deal, *if* we can get him signed at all.