Mick Shots: Deeper Dive into Dak's Playoff Record

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Meanwhile, our defense has held teams to 19 and 23 points in the playoffs and Dak is 0-2 in those games.
It's not Daks fault.

I read a recent article by one of the great sports writers of our time (TheGreatCowboysLakersBamaFan) who did a study on several top QBs (Tim Couch, JaMarcus Russel, Ryan Leaf) and found that they too went a combined 0-10 when their defense gave up 19 points or more.

The rules in the NFL are catered to the DEFENSE. Like They say...the modern NFL is a defensive league, and refs will always protect the quar, errr I mean Defensive Tackles, so you can't expect Dak to overcome the other team scoring 2 TDs, even if they were his own Pick6s

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Never saw a QB do so much with so little
Basically, it’s effectively an “argument” where Dak does so much with so little help, that when he rarely makes mistakes because it’s 99.9% of the time almost always someone else’s fault (like in the playoffs) neither the rest of the team nor can Dak overcome them. If only he had more help — like the 49ers who are “loaded” but apparently can never win the SB (unless they had Dak as the QB, of course) — the Cowboys would have won six SBs in a row.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It's not Daks fault.

I read a recent article by one of the great sports writers of our time (TheGreatCowboysLakersBamaFan) who did a study on several top QBs (Tim Couch, JaMarcus Russel, Ryan Leaf) and found that they too went a combined 0-10 when their defense gave up 19 points or more.

The rules in the NFL are catered to the DEFENSE. Like They say...the modern NFL is a defensive league, and refs will always protect the quar, errr I mean Defensive Tackles, so you can't expect Dak to overcome the other team scoring 2 TDs, even if they were his own Pick6s
A Philly fan discussing Cowboy affairs is crazy.

gtb1943

Reaction score
It's not Daks fault.

sad so many are going to take this seriously...
so many ignorant people today

gtb1943

Reaction score
Basically, it’s effectively an “argument” where Dak does so much with so little help, that when he rarely makes mistakes because it’s 99.9% of the time almost always someone else’s fault (like in the playoffs) neither the rest of the team nor can Dak overcome them. If only he had more help — like the 49ers who are “loaded” but apparently can never win the SB (unless they had Dak as the QB, of course) — the Cowboys would have won six SBs in a row.
got your flak vest on?
gonna need it

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Very easy.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-qb-ind...-starting-quarterbacks-at-the-end-of-th-x3120

Dak is simply a better QB than Purdy.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-highest-graded-quarterbacks-2023-nfl-season

Dak finished the 2023 season as 2nd in the league MVP race. He finished with the 3rd most passing yards (4,516), most passing TDs (36), one of the lowest INTs totals (9), highest completions % (69.5) and the highest passer rating (105.9) amongst all NFL QBs in 2023.

https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/

Dak accomplished all of this with a severely limited offense. Only 1 legit threat at WR, no threat at RB, not much of a running game at all, only a 2nd year TE and a newly revamped offense where he started off the whole month of September slow and with very low numbers due to McCarthy trying to go run heavy and rely on his defense while Dak and his very limited offense got acclimated to the new offensive playbook (new Texas Coast offense). If McCarthy had allowed Dak to start the season simply throwing a lot during those first 4 games of September, Dak would have easily passed for over 5,000 yards and had much higher passing numbers overall.

Remember, all of this accomplished in 2023 after starting the season very slow by design the whole month of September and playing on an offense with very limited weapons and no running game whatsoever. You plug Dak on the extremely talent loaded 49ers team, they would have won the Super Bowl. Guaranteed. To deny this is simply hating at the highest levels.
But did he win with the 9ers?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
That’s not “mine” that’s literally from the article @jazzcat22 posted lol……

@Kevinicus you see why I assume people didn’t read it without commenting?
It certainly does happen. People too eager to go by a headline, snippet, or summation. At least in this instance the snippet was an accurate representation of what's in the article.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It certainly does happen. People too eager to go by a headline, snippet, or summation. At least in this instance the snippet was an accurate representation of what's in the article.
The issue isn't reading or not reading.

The issue is being able to form a cogent accurate comment. Some people can do it, some can't.

TMC may have copied and pasted...but he neglected to include a few other details. THAT...was what I questioned.

TMC is a master with deflection, truly gifted.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't have any issues with your post...

but TMC never specified "when the defense gives up 30 points", as you DID!

That was what I questioned. It has nothing to do with with reading all the way through.

I do wonder though...the defense got dinged for the 7 points having to start inside the 20, after Dak's interception. That's very hard on a defense, let alone a struggling one.
Yes, if the defense has a short field to work with after an INT or any turnover. That needs to be taken into consideration.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
No, not defenses fault. If given a short field, can't expect any defense to shut an offense down all the time.
but you can look back on how many long drives hit pay dirt in a game and get a good sense of how that defense did....Again the GB was bad for Dak for everyone INCLUDING the defense.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The issue isn't reading or not reading.

The issue is being able to form a cogent accurate comment. Some people can do it, some can't.

TMC may have copied and pasted...but he neglected to include a few other details. THAT...was what I questioned.

TMC is a master with deflection, truly gifted.
I didn’t deflect anything all I did was point out that point of the article…..you are the only one who seems to have a issue with that.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Didn’t even read the excuses. Know the name of homers like the back of my hand. Every one of them was doing the same thing in 2020 when we already knew Dak wasn’t it. He crippled the team bc he needs elite talent around him to be productive, he’s a choke artist in the playoffs. Everyone blames defense, rushing, o line, coaches, etc. Fact is eventually you’ve got to point the finger at the man who’s the only common element for nine years…Dak himself.
The 9th year hasn't started yet, liar.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yes, if the defense has a short field to work with after an INT or any turnover. That needs to be taken into consideration.
So a defense can't stop an opposing team from scoring a TD when your offense turns over the ball inside the 20?

Shows more the lack of a defense one has.

People say, "Defense wins championships!" OK, where was our defense? I've seen many a defense stop opponents from scoring a TD when given a turnover inside your own 20. It can be done by very good defenses. We didn't have one show up that day.