Mickey: Be Reasonable Judging Young QB

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Problem with that I'm going to give you the shortest answer I can give which is very difficult for me you're trying to tell me the league starts for quarterbacks because maybe 16 teams have reliable quarterbacks the other sixteen for decades trying to find the starter and you want us to be too deep and thinking of the future you think that finishing in the top six every year meaning we're picking in the bottom six of the draft that we're supposed to find a quarterback to bridge the loss of our starter to our next guy like how about you Plan B that's just grow on trees dial 1800 quarterback seriously that puts pressure on our starter to either be great or get cut and then we have the next guy up right dude you're living in fantasyland....

In today's NFL the quarterback position is the hardest one to fill and there are 16 teams wishing they had a Prescott we have a top five quarterback at his best top ten at his worst you you think that better planning could have got us a guy to be the next man up at quarterback dude again you're delirious...

Look how many quarterbacks just since Tom Brady left that New England is trying to find a guy they did bring in Jacoby brissett and Jimmy garoppolo and somehow that didn't work but they're still looking there are teams I'm not gonna mention them all literally you what you're asking our front office to do there are 16 teams that can't even find a starter and you want them to have the next man up?

That's almost impossible you have to get lucky literally like San Francisco and don't tell me they didn't get lucky they didn't play and **** they went from Kaepernick and then a bunch of dudes into garoppolo he didn't workout they gave three first round picks for a scrub because that's how desperate the NFL is and look at how many bad quarterbacks are taken in the first round they're all reaches they're all hopeful and that's as a starter not as a next guy up and then block party just happened to be good just like New England Tom Brady that wasn't a plan that was an absolute stumble upon some great luck and finding a guy like that and you want our front office the plan that no typically it's unplanned...

Sorry I was wrong it wasn't short that's as short as I can go but there are hundreds of other examples but I could tell you this 95 quarterbacks drafted just since 2016 and only one of them has won a Super Bowl many of them are not even successful at all that's why you have all these retreads quarterbacks going from one team to the other you got guys like Dalton still hanging on to a job... It is that tough and you're asking them to do the impossible it's like all the other positions on our team everybody thinks we should be 3 heap everyone's worried about wide receiver three what we shouldn't do is appreciate that we have two good wide receivers and a tight end and not asking the front office that they're supposed to put a third great wide receiver on this team that is the problem around here they think it's that easy to have depth with a heart salary cap and a top heavy roster taking up most of the salary cap...
Ya, this is going to be a long read...

Aaron Rodgers was drafted 24, Jordan Love at 26. Jalen Hurts was a 2nd rounder. Our own Dak Prescott was a 4th rounder. Tom Brady was a 6th rounder. Roger Staubach was taken in the 10th. Antonio Ramiro Romo went undrafted. You can find a QB outside of the top 5. If there's a team built for a QB to succeed, it's Dallas. History says as much.

If it takes time to find the next guy, so be it. I'd rather fail trying than fail while doing the same old dance. New England brought in Jimmy G to replace Brady, and Tom outplayed his rookie contract. Where they failed was allowing Tom to walk while he still had gas in the tank, without an obvious successor. The Jordan Love and Rodgers story is well documented. As is Rodgers and Favre. GB gave us the blueprint. We've just failed to follow it. Would you rather have a QB in waiting, or Mazi Smith? It was a massive failure by the team to not take a QB in the top half of the draft the last two years.....

....but that doesn't matter now. What does matter is that the team doesn't cover a mistake by making an even bigger mistake and extend Dak. 6 of the last 8 Super Bowls were won by Mahommes or Brady. Both of whom took discount deals to bring in more talent to create competitive edges over the rest of the league. The other guys? We had Stafford on a Super team the year he was traded, and Nick Foles.

Before that we had an old, discount Manning, Russ Wilson, and Super Flacco. Sure, having a franchise QB keeps you in the conversation, but overwhelming talent is the way to win it. You can't have that when 3 guys are taking up 50% of the cap. Take Lamb away and Dak isnt an MVP candidate. Take Parsons away and that defense crumbles. This leaves Dak as the odd man out. He's had less postseason success than any of the guys mentioned, yet he's still trying to become the top paid player in the NFL.

I mean ya, we could join the trend of paying stupid money on guys that don't deserve it, but looking around the NFL for the last decade, that trend is a loser. This is why I've voiced the thought of Dak taking a lesser deal for the last two offseasons. If he wants to win, he can make it happen right now. If he doesn't want to do that, he can go. Extending him to a record contract is a lateral move at best, but how is that going to look when the big numbers kick in and we can't afford anyone? Look at the last two offseasons and you'll have your answer. This guy has won two playoff games in 8 years. He isn't worth the division and strife he's bringing to this fanbase, much less sacrificing talent to appease his ego.

I'm over it, man. Dak is the problem, but half the fanbase doesn't want to see it. Remaining relevant at the expense of real glory is a losing mentality, but that's the mindset a big portion of this fabase has adopted, which allows management to extend the insanity. It's the literal definition of insanity.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Problem with that I'm going to give you the shortest answer I can give which is very difficult for me you're trying to tell me the league starts for quarterbacks because maybe 16 teams have reliable quarterbacks the other sixteen for decades trying to find the starter and you want us to be too deep and thinking of the future you think that finishing in the top six every year meaning we're picking in the bottom six of the draft that we're supposed to find a quarterback to bridge the loss of our starter to our next guy like how about you Plan B that's just grow on trees dial 1800 quarterback seriously that puts pressure on our starter to either be great or get cut and then we have the next guy up right dude you're living in fantasyland....

In today's NFL the quarterback position is the hardest one to fill and there are 16 teams wishing they had a Prescott we have a top five quarterback at his best top ten at his worst you you think that better planning could have got us a guy to be the next man up at quarterback dude again you're delirious...

Look how many quarterbacks just since Tom Brady left that New England is trying to find a guy they did bring in Jacoby brissett and Jimmy garoppolo and somehow that didn't work but they're still looking there are teams I'm not gonna mention them all literally you what you're asking our front office to do there are 16 teams that can't even find a starter and you want them to have the next man up?

That's almost impossible you have to get lucky literally like San Francisco and don't tell me they didn't get lucky they didn't play and **** they went from Kaepernick and then a bunch of dudes into garoppolo he didn't workout they gave three first round picks for a scrub because that's how desperate the NFL is and look at how many bad quarterbacks are taken in the first round they're all reaches they're all hopeful and that's as a starter not as a next guy up and then block party just happened to be good just like New England Tom Brady that wasn't a plan that was an absolute stumble upon some great luck and finding a guy like that and you want our front office the plan that no typically it's unplanned...

Sorry I was wrong it wasn't short that's as short as I can go but there are hundreds of other examples but I could tell you this 95 quarterbacks drafted just since 2016 and only one of them has won a Super Bowl many of them are not even successful at all that's why you have all these retreads quarterbacks going from one team to the other you got guys like Dalton still hanging on to a job... It is that tough and you're asking them to do the impossible it's like all the other positions on our team everybody thinks we should be 3 heap everyone's worried about wide receiver three what we shouldn't do is appreciate that we have two good wide receivers and a tight end and not asking the front office that they're supposed to put a third great wide receiver on this team that is the problem around here they think it's that easy to have depth with a heart salary cap and a top heavy roster taking up most of the salary cap...
Don’t apologize. It’s one of your shorter responses. I didn’t have to pack a bag lunch before starting to read it in case I got hungry along the way.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Ya, this is going to be a long read...

Aaron Rodgers was drafted 24, Jordan Love at 26. Jalen Hurts was a 2nd rounder. Our own Dak Prescott was a 4th rounder. Tom Brady was a 6th rounder. Roger Staubach was taken in the 10th. Antonio Ramiro Romo went undrafted. You can find a QB outside of the top 5. If there's a team built for a QB to succeed, it's Dallas. History says as much.

If it takes time to find the next guy, so be it. I'd rather fail trying than fail while doing the same old dance. New England brought in Jimmy G to replace Brady, and Tom outplayed his rookie contract. Where they failed was allowing Tom to walk while he still had gas in the tank, without an obvious successor. The Jordan Love and Rodgers story is well documented. As is Rodgers and Favre. GB gave us the blueprint. We've just failed to follow it. Would you rather have a QB in waiting, or Mazi Smith? It was a massive failure by the team to not take a QB in the top half of the draft the last two years.....

....but that doesn't matter now. What does matter is that the team doesn't cover a mistake by making an even bigger mistake and extend Dak. 6 of the last 8 Super Bowls were won by Mahommes or Brady. Both of whom took discount deals to bring in more talent to create competitive edges over the rest of the league. The other guys? We had Stafford on a Super team the year he was traded, and Nick Foles.

Before that we had an old, discount Manning, Russ Wilson, and Super Flacco. Sure, having a franchise QB keeps you in the conversation, but overwhelming talent is the way to win it. You can't have that when 3 guys are taking up 50% of the cap. Take Lamb away and Dak isnt an MVP candidate. Take Parsons away and that defense crumbles. This leaves Dak as the odd man out. He's had less postseason success than any of the guys mentioned, yet he's still trying to become the top paid player in the NFL.

I mean ya, we could join the trend of paying stupid money on guys that don't deserve it, but looking around the NFL for the last decade, that trend is a loser. This is why I've voiced the thought of Dak taking a lesser deal for the last two offseasons. If he wants to win, he can make it happen right now. If he doesn't want to do that, he can go. Extending him to a record contract is a lateral move at best, but how is that going to look when the big numbers kick in and we can't afford anyone? Look at the last two offseasons and you'll have your answer. This guy has won two playoff games in 8 years. He isn't worth the division and strife he's bringing to this fanbase, much less sacrificing talent to appease his ego.

I'm over it, man. Dak is the problem, but half the fanbase doesn't want to see it. Remaining relevant at the expense of real glory is a losing mentality, but that's the mindset a big portion of this fabase has adopted, which allows management to extend the insanity. It's the literal definition of insanity.
SO BE IT lmao.. that a Internet fake GM comment of I've ever heard on stick with FF and madden football.. it suits most of you. Teams like Denver, jets, Clevalnd and others give up and go give draft picks and record deals to vet QBs because 5-10 years of this takes time never worked.

Right now, show me all 32 teams starter and show me their backups are this plan b transition, list them,

and then I'll read that...

show me their backups show me their Plan B at quarterback as if its an easy blueprint , and how it's so easy to find one that there's sixteen teams that you can't even tell me they're starters are better than some of our backups..

I mean we are a quarterback starved league and that's all you need to know you can't have the advantage and the benefit of just having your next man up at quarterback sometimes that's accidental dumb luck, for every love there are 20 busts,

and by the way Jordan love may look the part even though he was criticized the first half of last year before he came on but how about we wait I've seen quarterbacks have one year like that we've seen guys like Blake portals and Matt Sanchez get to championship games we've seen lesser quarterbacks get to the Super bowl because of their teams let's wait and see how Jordan love plays under pressure of a new contract and now he's going to have to prove that it wasn't that an anomaly it wasn't a one off him having a year like that because he didn't look good the first eight games last year...

So yeah, you can named five teams in the history of the NFL that somehow was able to have a guy ready in the wings but that is not the norm that is an anomaly this league has 16 quarterbacks starting for teams right now in the bottom 32 better not true #1 generational franchise quarterbacks and you want the Cowboys to have their next guy?

This is like the same people on here that think we should have our #3 wide receiver be like DeAndre Hopkins or have a Amari Cooper making $22 million as our #2 it is not that kind of league this is Hart salary cap and you're asking for depth that's typically not found...​
It's not available do you look at the next two drafts these kids coming out of college none of them look great to me right now... I mean when you're going to reach for guys in the first round and hope they workout you're wasting a pick on a better offensive lineman or something or a better linebacker or someone else in the first round where you're not getting somebody to just sit for three or four years and then find out what he's no good because that is what we find out most of the time some very overrated backups who are running around the league now because they couldn't hack it as starters...​

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
I think most of us are reasonable I mean we're looking at him at least I am as a project he's 23 years old he's younger than most of the draft picks this year and he's been hurt he's not got a lot of playing time so he a lot more raw than people think and some patience is gonna be needed on whether this was a waste of a fourth round pick or not I mean we just need to let it play out maybe he's a late bloomer like Geno Smith...

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That can corrected with more experience. But you refuse to learn that.

He is a QB, you refuse to accept that as well.
He knows all that but it is something personal with him about Lance. Who does not want the kid to turn out good for the Cowboys? He does for some stupid reason and you are trying to reason with him. Good luck, Jazzcat.

perrykemp

Reaction score
I look at the massive leap Jordan Love made after a half of a season of playing time. He looked like trash the first half of the season and, after he figured things out, literally like a top 3 passer in the 2nd of the season.

Why can’t Lance follow the same path?

Chasing6

Reaction score
That can corrected with more experience. But you refuse to learn that.

He is a QB, you refuse to accept that as well.
3 preseason games a year is not experience.

It is just not. Sorry to tell you that.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I think most of us are reasonable I mean we're looking at him at least I am as a project he's 23 years old he's younger than most of the draft picks this year and he's been hurt he's not got a lot of playing time so he a lot more raw than people think and some patience is gonna be needed on whether this was a waste of a fourth round pick or not I mean we just need to let it play out maybe he's a late bloomer like Geno Smith...
He is 24 years old. Most people graduate HS at 18 + 4 years in college is 22. A lot of players come out early. He is not younger than most draft picks.

All NFL QB draft picks this year have more experience playing QB than Trance and that includes his last 4 years in the NFL.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
Did I like Lance? No. I liked no turnovers. And it's hard to judge with no protection and typical McCarthy garbage playcalling. But no, not impressed yet.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is 24 years old. Most people graduate HS at 18 + 4 years in college is 22. A lot of players come out early. He is not younger than most draft picks.

All NFL QB draft picks this year have more experience playing QB than Trance and that includes his last 4 years in the NFL.
But yet he is younger than most QB's drafted early this year.

Chasing6

Reaction score
But yet he is younger than most QB's drafted early this year.
C. Williams -22
J. Daniels -23
D. Maye -21
M. Penix -24
JJ McCarthy -21
B. Mix -24

Not true. Same age or older. Plus they all played significantly more and against better competition.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
C. Williams -22
J. Daniels -23
D. Maye -21
M. Penix -24
JJ McCarthy -21
B. Mix -24

Not true. Same age or older. Plus they all played significantly more and against better competition.
We will see how they all do. There could be a learning curve for them as well. McCarthy out for the year.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They all have learning curves for sure.
Watching Bengals and Bears game right now. Williams had 2 - 3 and outs so far. A nice pass in coverage for 8 yards and a drop / well defended pass. If his pass was just a little further out, in could have been caught. But I don’t always hold those type of things against QBs. Especially rookies. I missed a few plays on the 1st series, not sure if run plays or any incomplete passes.