Mike Bascik Spills Some Tea on Dak Situation

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I hope you're right. I want Dak to recover and not have any complications in his playing career. I'd love to see the Cowboys win more playoff games with him.

But I listen to Dallas radio every day for hours while working and can confirm that these guys break news sometimes days before ESPN and the other national guys do. Happens almost weekly. If you think guys like Bascik, and Bryan Broaddus, don't have real sources then you're the naive one.
They might have sources.

That doesn't mean the sources are correct or that they are being used for this one. And even if it is true that there's something with the second procedure or a setback, the hyperbole of the "next 5-6 months determine his football career" gets rid of any credibility there might have been anyway. It turns the entire discussion into clickbait.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Anyone hear Cross Talk between Shan & RJ and the K&C Masterpiece this morning on the Fan? Mike Bascik flew off the rails on the Dak contract discussion and made some seriously bold claims.

He said he wasn't allowed to divulge the fine details, but mentioned that Dak is dealing with more than simply a broken ankle and these next 5 to 6 months are absolutely critical for rehab and basically determining if Dak can play football ever again. Mike said that there is a real "20 percent chance" that Dak never plays football again. Mentioned that the Cowboys are aware of the issue that he knows about, and said that it looks like almost an impossibility that the Cowboys fork over 170+ million dollars to a QB that's dealing with what Dak is dealing with. Also mentioned that releasing him after June with a franchise tag is also a realistic possibility.

I'm not strongly for or against Dak being signed here long term, but this certainly ignites some serious discussion. And for the clowns on this forum that will immediately dismiss this as fake news, Bascik is extremely plugged into the network in the Metroplex and also has numerous connections in the local medical network, since he himself is married to a physician. He was dropping hints of Dak having a second surgery over a month before national media got a hold of that story.

This is a crazy development.
If this is true the Cowboys screwed themselves royally with that late season 3 game winning streak. Dak also screwed himself for not signing the long term extension. Draft night has gotten more interesting.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who told you it was a clean out surgery? Unnamed sources. Seems like you have no doubt on these ‘sources’ from one article and repeat what they say as if it is 100% true. Truth be told, you have no clue if it was just a clean out surgery or something serious. The same source said the surgery was on the deltoid ligament. Look up ankle deltoid ligament surgery and you will find it usually does not need surgery unless badly injured and all other options have failed.
I thought you were the one that told me.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Does anyone remember the story from Fisher or Skip about how Jerry would call in his favorite reporters to leak half truth news relating to injuries when he is in contract negotiation with players.

From sources close to Dak and family said that Jerry told Dak “it’s business but some stuff might come out if you don’t agree to these terms, can you handle the heat?”

The inside source says that Jerry is blown away by Dak’s recovery time, and realizes he can’t use it as a leverage against him.

Moderator Edit: Video removed due to content strictly prohibited on CowboysZone

I find it amazing that you have not been benched or banned from this site.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Anyone hear Cross Talk between Shan & RJ and the K&C Masterpiece this morning on the Fan? Mike Bascik flew off the rails on the Dak contract discussion and made some seriously bold claims.

He said he wasn't allowed to divulge the fine details, but mentioned that Dak is dealing with more than simply a broken ankle and these next 5 to 6 months are absolutely critical for rehab and basically determining if Dak can play football ever again. Mike said that there is a real "20 percent chance" that Dak never plays football again. Mentioned that the Cowboys are aware of the issue that he knows about, and said that it looks like almost an impossibility that the Cowboys fork over 170+ million dollars to a QB that's dealing with what Dak is dealing with. Also mentioned that releasing him after June with a franchise tag is also a realistic possibility.

I'm not strongly for or against Dak being signed here long term, but this certainly ignites some serious discussion. And for the clowns on this forum that will immediately dismiss this as fake news, Bascik is extremely plugged into the network in the Metroplex and also has numerous connections in the local medical network, since he himself is married to a physician. He was dropping hints of Dak having a second surgery over a month before national media got a hold of that story.

The 2nd surgery was "advertised" as a fairly common procedure for that type of injury given the urgency to prevent infection first and then go in to make the necessary repairs to facilitate full rehab and recovery. I am quick to dismiss people who break stories with a disclaimer they are not allowed to divulge details. That already makes the story questionable and it sounds like a fictional layer of drama added to a situation where a young athlete will undoubtedly have an uphill battle to get back to where he was prior to an injury.

Can anyone really doubt that Dak will do whatever it takes to get back to 100%? Today's means and methods for injury treatment and recovery coupled with a determined and robust young athlete make the odds for full recovery quite high. This sounds like an nefarious attempt taint the earnings future of Dak.

If this story is out on the public square, it may the straw that breaks the relationship's back and Dak will refuse to do any deal with the Cowboys. Can't say I would blame him. Oh, and he will be without a team for about 10 minutes.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have never heard of this Mike Bascik before and why would what he would say have any merit? Granted, I've been out of the DFW market for about 5 years but what makes anyone credible on sports radio when there's no penalty for being wrong or fabricated anything for attention?

These stories, factual or not, eventually die and no one cares. It is like the Dez video story or Elliott slugging a guy in a nightclub when he wasn't within 10' of the guy. People get by with making anything up.

That female reporter for ESPN completely fabricated a story about Michael Sam and the Rams players not showering and was caught in the lie, admitted it and is still there.

Until journalism, and that includes rumor mongering on radio and TV, polices themselves and holds members accountable, they deserve all of the disbelief and doubt they receive.

The story isn't the subject; the subject is the storyteller.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The 2nd surgery was "advertised" as a fairly common procedure for that type of injury given the urgency to prevent infection first and then go in to make the necessary repairs to facilitate full rehab and recovery. I am quick to dismiss people who break stories with a disclaimer they are not allowed to divulge details. That already makes the story questionable and it sounds like a fictional layer of drama added to a situation where a young athlete will undoubtedly have an uphill battle to get back to where he was prior to an injury.

Can anyone really doubt that Dak will do whatever it takes to get back to 100%? Today's means and methods for injury treatment and recovery coupled with a determined and robust young athlete make the odds for full recovery quite high. This sounds like an nefarious attempt taint the earnings future of Dak.

If this story is out on the public square, it may the straw that breaks the relationship's back and Dak will refuse to do any deal with the Cowboys. Can't say I would blame him. Oh, and he will be without a team for about 10 minutes.

To go on further....since when did radio guys hold information back lol?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It is the Joneses' action in the past that makes them suspects behind something like this. They started that 40M rumor last year and I wouldn't blame him for holding out for that. They think they control the media in DFW.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Wow