Mike Fisher Shares some Romo Release Details

Sydla

Reaction score
I am not sure, but I don't think you can wait until May 31st to say a player is a June 1st cut.

I don't believe you are accurate. I think there are limitations to number of June 1s you are allowed to have (2 I believe) but not the date.

The issue with June 1 and why some teams make them early is that in some cases, there are roster bonuses that teams can try to avoid if they cut him before the bonus is due but still designate him June 1.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Can someone please explain how it would have affected the cap space if we would have traded him for a 4th rounder?
In a trade all amortized money comes due day of trade.
In a post June 1st designated release he freed up 14m.
In a trade he freed up 5m.

Dallas chose to have him free up the 14M.

Because his money doesn't become available until June 2nd this likely ends up being rookie pool money, late free agency cash and the left over cash rolls over on to next years cap.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
There appears to be some confusion.

A trade would have the exact same effect as a release. The only thing that would change is the possible difference in cap this year and next, which is just accounting and not any real savings
It does matter if they want to sign someone to a deal later this year.
For instance if they convince Carr and/or Mo to wait and sign their deals June 2nd.
9m would cover both of them.
9m in cap space is not inconsequential.

waving monkey

Reaction score
I feel Jerry did do the right thing. I don't have a problem with Jerry being the human he is and not being a cold blind chess player. He is who he is partly because of how he treats people with respect. Remember Michael Irvin standing and clapping when Jerry was announced in the HOF. The love the players that have player for him is worth something more than a late round draft pick.

It would have shown something about Elway or the Texans if they would have sent us compensation for Romo. It would be the right thing to do but it's obvious they are not made of the same stuff that Jerry is.
Jerry gets respect from me and many fans for how he treats people close to him.
:bow:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I was just listening to the fan and they were interviewing Mike Fisher. During this interview he seemingly revealed that Jerry and Romo had a conversation about Romos future the Wednesday before or after the Super Bowl(can't remember which he said). At the end of this conversation, Jerry supposedly told Romo he was going to release him. Paraphrasing, Fisher said Jerry told Romo he wasn't going to hold him hostage and was going to do what's right and release him as a June 1st cut.

Take this for what it's worth as I know many here have differing opinions regarding Fish. I just thought I would pass it along and let you decide for yourself.

Yep.......Jerry got drunk and promised Romo he would release him. As he was hugging and kissing him and telling him that he will always love him. LOL

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
The extra 9 million is useless right now and can't be used pre june 1st after the best free agents are gone.

That extra $8.9m will most likely be used to front-load the expected contract for Martin (just like we did last year in August with Frederick). That and to have a little surplus going into the season for emergency signings.