Mike Fisher Shares some Romo Release Details

birdwells1

Reaction score
Would have been nice to get something. I agree.
So many reasons why we didn't though....besides the relationship.
I believe Fish, Jerry knew that he was going to do right by Tony instead of the team along time ago. He'd just say to the fans that he didn't receive any offers and we'd be none the wiser. Great plan JJ

IrishAnto

Reaction score
This was never about cap space or draft picks.

This was about family taking care of family.

Yes but it's a business and Jerry needs to look at what's best for the Cowboys.

Jerry already squandered Romo's career in Dallas.

Will he do the same to Dak?

StarHead69

Reaction score
Good-bye and good luck Tony Romo!

You were great fun to watch and a class act from day one til the end. I wish you could have won a Lombardi here.

Pants

Reaction score
I had better keep REALLY busy today as my email, text, etc will be "busy" as every tom, dick and harry will be starting with "so, what was dallas thinking....?"

superonyx

Reaction score
Why Jerry doesn't do right by the TEAM (and fans) instead of an individual player is troublesome as far as I'm concerned. Regardless, it is what it is and it's not surprising.
I feel Jerry did do the right thing. I don't have a problem with Jerry being the human he is and not being a cold blind chess player. He is who he is partly because of how he treats people with respect. Remember Michael Irvin standing and clapping when Jerry was announced in the HOF. The love the players that have player for him is worth something more than a late round draft pick.

It would have shown something about Elway or the Texans if they would have sent us compensation for Romo. It would be the right thing to do but it's obvious they are not made of the same stuff that Jerry is.
Jerry gets respect from me and many fans for how he treats people close to him.

EST_1986

Reaction score
Yeah I think what we're all missing here is that some mid rounder is not going to alter the trajectory of the franchise. I mean it did happen last year but it's unlikely they hit that lottery two years in a row.
Dak Prescott says hello

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
I'm sure he and his millions will somehow manage.
then i'm also sure you and your sarcasm will find a way to soldier through.

if we could have gotten something for romo, great. but i suppose i tend to be on the side he did an awful lot for this team over the years and if it's time to move on, at least give him enough respect to go where he'd like. if we could have helped manage that *and* get something, fine. but if no one is even offering up enough to make that a consideration then we're not being offered much if anything for him.

market value, not bad mgt or 'getting screwed'. if this is the case, let him go and wish him well.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I still feel like we are getting screwed.

No we are not. Only in the eyes of those that want to blame Jerry for something. If it wasn't this, then it would be that they didn't release him, when no offers came in, so jerry therefore held tony hostage was teams he wanted to sign with.
If not that, then it would be something else...like the prices of hot hogs went up 10 cents....when that person complaining doesn't go to games to begin with.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We get 8.9 million more cap space in 2017 with a June 1 waiver vs a trade.

Plus and beside the point, there have no mention of any trade offers. Teams may be interested but not without a new, incentive based contract.

Right. Houston and Denver said they were not interested in a trade, and those were the 2 best chances for a trade. Best released, all are happy except those fans that want to complain about it one way or another.

Sydla

Reaction score
No we are not. Only in the eyes of those that want to blame Jerry for something. If it wasn't this, then it would be that they didn't release him, when no offers came in, so jerry therefore held tony hostage was teams he wanted to sign with.
If not that, then it would be something else...like the prices of hot hogs went up 10 cents....when that person complaining doesn't go to games to begin with.

Nah, Jerry deserves some blame here.

Again, it's quite simple. If Jerry is serious about trading him and the backup plan was to make him a June 1 cut, then there is no reason to cut him at the start of FA today. The only reason to cut him today is to do him a favor and allow him time to negotiate with teams right at the start of FA.

There is absolutely no risk to the Cowboys at all to hold him a few more weeks and then make him a June 1 cut. Maybe someone gets an itchy trigger finger a month from now. Likely? Probably not but in the end, holding him a few more weeks before making him a June 1 does nothing at all to your cap, your ability to sign FAs, etc.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
More specifically it was a mid round pick versus 9 million in cap space THAT YOU CANT USE UNTIL JUNE.

And in June most likely some cap room needed to be cleared to sign the draft class....now it doesn't need to be a concern....money to sign draft class, UDFA, and a few vet players once released before TC, if needed...you know, the Dwight Freeney types....

Sydla

Reaction score
And in June most likely some cap room needed to be cleared to sign the draft class....now it doesn't need to be a concern....money to sign draft class, UDFA, and a few vet players once released before TC, if needed...you know, the Dwight Freeney types....

Which doesn't refute the point that you could wait until the very end to make him a June 1 cut. You don't have to do it today.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nah, Jerry deserves some blame here.

Again, it's quite simple. If Jerry is serious about trading him and the backup plan was to make him a June 1 cut, then there is no reason to cut him at the start of FA today. The only reason to cut him today is to do him a favor and allow him time to negotiate with teams right at the start of FA.

There is absolutely no risk to the Cowboys at all to hold him a few more weeks and then make him a June 1 cut. Maybe someone gets an itchy trigger finger a month from now. Likely? Probably not but in the end, holding him a few more weeks before making him a June 1 does nothing at all to your cap, your ability to sign FAs, etc.

But isn't today the day to announce June 1st cuts. If they held on to him, then they would have to relaes him outright, and all the cap hit is on 2017 books, not split between 2 years.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which doesn't refute the point that you could wait until the very end to make him a June 1 cut. You don't have to do it today.

I am not sure, but I don't think you can wait until May 31st to say a player is a June 1st cut.

Sydla

Reaction score
But isn't today the day to announce June 1st cuts. If they held on to him, then they would have to relaes him outright, and all the cap hit is on 2017 books, not split between 2 years.

Nope. You can designate someone a June 1 cap hit at any point. You don't have to do it at the start of the league year.

One more note, the cap space needed to sign our draft class will be around $1.7-$2MM per USA Today.