Mike Fisher Shares some Romo Release Details

Sydla

Reaction score
We get 8.9 million more cap space in 2017 with a June 1 waiver vs a trade.

Plus and beside the point, there have no mention of any trade offers. Teams may be interested but not without a new, incentive based contract.

There should be a sticky at the top of the board.

You can't use that money saved now.

ak47kaehu

Reaction score
Doesn't he still come off the books if traded?
If there was a suitor and Romo was open to re-work his contract to facilitate the trade then yes??? Not sure how much more though! Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sydla

Reaction score
So it was a decision between a possible 4th rounder or 9 mil in cap space.

More specifically it was a mid round pick versus 9 million in cap space THAT YOU CANT USE UNTIL JUNE.

gmoney112

Reaction score
That's why it says 2017 cap and total cap

you clear 8.9 mil extra for this year...but you will have to take the hit eventually.

Yes. But that was pretty misleading to people who don't understand the cap.

The only benefit we got to releasing Romo was, possibly some maneuverability in cap space, but we only have access to that space when the FA market has dried up. We also could have worked around that if we wanted too, fairly easily.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
Can someone please explain how it would have affected the cap space if we would have traded him for a 4th rounder?

So it was a decision between a possible 4th rounder or 9 mil in cap space.

The extra 9 million is useless right now and can't be used pre june 1st after the best free agents are gone. Really the salary impact saves more in 2017, but eats up more of the 2018 cap. Either way its the same cap impact as a pre june 1st cut, the only difference is the hit gets split between two years instead of one.

DFWJC

Reaction score

The only benefit we got to releasing Romo was, possibly some maneuverability in cap space, but we only have access to that space when the FA market has dried up. We also could have worked around that if we wanted too, fairly easily.
I won't argue that if Jerry really wanted to screw Tony and hold him until all QB options were gone...then still drop him for nothing...he could have.
The early release didn't have to happen. I'm sure the trade off of the early release was an agreement not to play for certain NFC teams.

I wish we'd gotten a mid rounder for him--though I did not at all expect it. Would have been nice.

conner01

Reaction score

Two things
To trade a player someone has to want to trade for him
And the cap space now could be used this year to extend Martin, Collins, or carry it to next year
You get the money either way but a trade only works if someone is willing to trade

DFWJC

Reaction score
Brandon Marshall
Brandon Flowers
Torrey Smith

all established vets granted early releases by their GMs to aid them in in the FA market
All could have possibly yielded some sort of draft pick for their teams if the GMs wanted to squeeze them

There are ton of situation like this every year.
yes QBs are different...but Romo has extreme injury risk in many eyes and carried a 3 year 54 mil price tag that needed to be redone upon his agreement.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
If you felt the Colts got screwed when they cut Manning and then he went to Denver, then you should feel like the Cowboys got screwed.
That's right, nobody got screwed. Unlike the screwing our reputation with players would have taken if we kept Romo strung along out of hopes for a trade offer that wasn't coming.

Proof

Reaction score
I still feel like we are getting screwed.

I can't even focus on football, Romo, my family or anything with that pic in your sig. who is that magnificent creature

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score

Well its obvious we aren't real fans if we don't agree with what the franchise did. Maybe Clowney will be released June 2nd.....ummm no.

It was a waste, and I'm tired of reading the same fans that will watch us lose this next year agree with what the FO did. Been seeing the same thing for decades, and I'm just tired of it. Older Cowboy fans have seen it before, and once again, Jerry did something stupid.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
If you felt the Colts got screwed when they cut Manning and then he went to Denver, then you should feel like the Cowboys got screwed.

Totally different, they owed Peyton a 28 million dollar bonus, we were not in that position. And those Colt fans still had to sit there and watch Peyton win a ring while their team did nothing.

I just hope we aren't sitting here next year, like the Colt fans, watching Romo in the playoffs licking our wounds cause we got an idiot for a GM.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score

Well, Manning had a better track record when he left the Colts but I feel like Romo has more left in the tank.

Then again, one solid hit on Romo and he is out for an extended (permanent?) period of time.

Never mind...we're good.

erod

Reaction score
This was never about cap space or draft picks.

This was about family taking care of family.

erod

Reaction score
Well, Manning had a better track record when he left the Colts but I feel like Romo has more left in the tank.

Then again, one solid hit on Romo and he is out for an extended (permanent?) period of time.

Never mind...we're good.
The first year in Denver, Peyton was breaking records.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Did Fisher sound as if he was eating potato chips straight from the bag with no hands like he does on the Cowboys cast podcast?

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why Jerry doesn't do right by the TEAM (and fans) instead of an individual player is troublesome as far as I'm concerned. Regardless, it is what it is and it's not surprising.